1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Reverse problem with a 535 penn ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by woody, Oct 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. woody

woody New Member

hi all just a quick question , i have a a 535 mag and it has decided it winds backwards ? , anti reverese bearing ? is it a costy repair , am i better off breaking the reel for spares , of repairing it , i also have a 525 mag slidy that does this every now and then when u pump the rod backwards , but doesnt do it all the time , i take it this is the same problem ? thanks woody :happy:

2. mww

mww Rockling

Re: problem with a 535 penn ?

Woody

Sounds like anti reverse bearing's on its way out, you could try taking it out, flushing it with petrol/ lighter fuel/ solvent several times then when as clean & dry lube with a few dabs of very thin oil...that usuall works for about a trip, then it starts again & you need to go buy a new arb...not cheap, around £15 a throw last time I bought one from Penn!! :scared:

cps had one that was fine at home, but as soon as it got out in the cold & things started to shring ever so slightly it started to backwind... :educated:

I've looked high & low for a source of the same bearings, they're a Koyo model, I used to have the Koyo part number somewhere, but even approaches to Koyo stockists drew a blank... :angry:

Mart

3. gwyn

gwyn Blenny

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

http://store.scottsbt.com/Default.aspx All schematics & bits here just got some bits from here only took six days to arrive or theres Mick at Penn Servicing - 01386 552949.

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

defo the anti reverse, problem is, you should use liquid grease not the thick blue stuff, it seazes them, these are the major problem with penn reals, penn do supply the correct greases and oils but you only find out after you have wrecked your anti reverse, i was oiling them wichis no good cos after time they lock up full of shoit
    the blue stuff is for the engage disengage plate , springs and ratchet parts, i made the mistake of using pen grease for the anti reverse and foooooked up a couple of them, they do liquid grease that up to now are mint, dont let any of this touch your bearings, one smudge of it turns your mag into a penn squidder.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The 525 should be easily remedied by cleaning the bearing in the handle that mart mentions. As for the 535. If your scrapping it send it my way. I love em.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you didnt get glenn to look at it did you? myabe he left a part out :laugh:

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

I Know of a bloke in cayton bay that quacks a bit when speaking That repairs reels dont let him anywhere near your cars Brakes as he leaves bits out but ok with reels take a bucket with you cos he finds that penn ABU daiwa and the rest put to many parts in when your reel is new so he leaves them out i service all my own reels so dont have to use his services Thank god my car stops when i push the Brake pedal & ive never had any bother with my reels just carn¬t think of his name you might see him walking around in cayton alway near water and quacks a lot you carn`t miss him Really short Fat lad that quacks a lot when walking along :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: tightlines Alain

9. woody

woody New Member

glenn i wouldnt mind its not that old have only used it a few times !!! if i scrap it i will let u know bud , do u want another nitra as a spare too ???? lol thanks for the replies boys !!!!

10. Baramundi Bob

how much you want for the nitra ?

11. woody

woody New Member

must be worth a ton glenn ??

12. robq

robq Rockling

A ton of what :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

13. Baramundi Bob

With their reputation, I think the value just went the same way as the London stock exchange

14. woody

woody New Member

hey hey , come on lads i just doubled its value by putting a new dinamite tip ring on it lol !!! think i will keep it till it snaps , or doesnt , hopefully , i love them as a rod as i know glenn does , but there just a bit like alfa romeo !!!!

15. woody

woody New Member

sh "t lol

16. Baramundi Bob

Tell you something woody. You wont believe this. went out tonight and my 535 started backwinding.

17. woody

woody New Member

ha ha ha ha ha never lol think u better hang yr rods back on the wall for the rest of the season bud !!! saying that thats 3 bad things , next sea u will have a bumper sesh watch this space , well if u get yr 535 fixed in time !!! ducky does good repairs