1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another vote for rapala

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by rupert, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

Yesterday, I was invited on to the Chollerford beat of the North Tyne – my first salmon fishing trip of 2012. The North Tyne has had a disappointing autumn run so far, compared to previous years. :suspious:

I’d never fished this beat before, and being the North Tyne, with peat stained water running the colour of dandlion and burdock, you have no idea as to whether the pool is 3’ deep or 13’. :blindfold:

In the morning, my host (Giles on right) caught a 3lb sea trout and his pal John (centre) had a 12lb cock fish on fly in the ‘Jaws’ pool. The guy on the left is Malcolm who looks after the beat, but he busy during the day and wasn’t available to show us the hotspots.

[​IMG]

I hooked a fish early in the morning, within 10 minutes of starting, on a 1½” floating red devon, in the head of the ‘Mains’ pool, (pictured below) which promptly fell off!

[​IMG]

I thought I had blown my only chance of the day, but without having to rely on modern Japanese plastic technology, things came good for me in the head of the same pool, at just after 5pm. I still have faith in these old fashioned wooden lures!

[​IMG]

Good old Rapala – this time a black and silver J9.

[​IMG]

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Good old Rapala indeed, nice one Rupert and a good save at the end. Bet it was to be out for the Salmon again :yes:

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice one rupert another fine days fishing

4. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Well done rupert - did it put up a good scrap?
    I used to fish the North Tyne quite a bit but got fed up of catching coloured fish.
    Such a long way for fish to run up there.
    Did you see any fresh fish?

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

The Chollerford beat is one of the lowest beats on the North tyne, not that far from the confluence with the South Tyne, so you'd think with a bit of extra Kielder water there might be a few clean fish?

Not a bad scrap - but loads of jagging where they roll and spin, which I dread. I always think they're going to come off any moment!

We saw a fair amount of fish activety jumping and spashing until mid morning, then it stopped and we hardly saw a fish for the rest of the day. I didn't see any real bars of silver though.

6. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Ah ok I fished further up near Bellingham.
    It's so much better fishing when fish are showing.
    Congratulations again on your fish.

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done Rupert- J9's are a timeless lure.

8. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

a great bass lure too, 1 of the all time classics , well done on the salmon as well , i have fished bellingham most fish seemed to be very coloured that far up , the local landlord used to get a fair few fish on the hairy bucktail condoms (claret red )

9. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good report and pics there rupert and well done on the fish