1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Freak Wave ?? Kayak Angler Cheats Death - Just About !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. riley.

riley. Blenny

Was it a forum member or just a novice on holiday?

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

What the hell was he doing out in that shite.

paul.

4. 01kayak

01kayak Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done to the runswick boat crew for saving this mans life
    if it was as rough there as it was up south shields further up the coast he must of been mad to go out especially alone

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Safety begins on the shore. Anyone who decides to tak a kayak out in that weather gets exactly what they deserve. Numpty.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can imagine what was going through his mind travelling all the way from bradford to find the sea was abit to much ....its so easy to make a wrong descision when your not clued up . Unfotunatly for him the descison nearly cost him his life ,,,its a shame really ....
    Like you say chaw its gona happen soon ....

7. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

'Not clued up is an understatement!'. Met office had been predicting those atrocious northerlies since last Tuesday!. The mentality of intividuals at times amazes me.

8. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we are not all numpties from bradford :laugh:just most of us. :educated:he shuld be fined and made to pay costs .just a thought

9. newdave

newdave Guest

yes a bit scary, its a shame they dont collect detailed statistics about these incidents, exsperience, what emergency equipment etc.

Never mind people from Bradford someone sent me a little ditty today regarding Gordies

"statisically its been proved that 1 in 3 Gordies are just as daft as the other 2" :whistle:

10. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Take it you're not working with the BOSS lads anymore Dave.LOL

11. newdave

newdave Guest

not when I am picking the crew :wink: got a few from that neck of the woods though :yes:

12. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

I agree, Dave. A bit scary and it is a shame that the RNLI do not publish more details about the rescue so that other would-be kayakers are left in no doubt as to the likely consequences of launching in poor conditions.
    It's all very well some people saying that it's a matter of common sense when not to launch, but it's surprising how many rescued people clearly do not use it. I wonder if the bloke thought that he would be ok due to Runswick Bay often being recommended as suitable for beginners because of it's sheltered aspect perhaps ?
    Whatever the reason, I don't agree with the sentiment that any ignoramous who takes to the sea in any type of watercraft in the wrong conditions deserves to die. Not when there is still work to be done to deter others from doing so.
    When transporting my kayak to and from the car to the sea, I've had curious shore anglers asking me about the costs involved in taking up the sport and it's surprising just how many would consider buying a used kayak off eBay so that they can 'give it a go'. I always emphasise the safety aspect to them, but even so, I sometimes get the impression that some of them are only interested in getting out there as soon as possible.
    The RNLI save lives and cannot force anyone who they rescue to talk, but I firmly believe that any information that may serve as a warning to others should be reported in the local press for everyone to see. In fact, I would go so far as saying that it is absolutely vital that the RNLI give it priority as one less so-called 'numpty' in difficulty, could so easily be one less fatality.

13. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

as someone who has had his kayak since before christmas and only had it on the local canal i know the temptation of taking it to sea before i have all the necessary safety equipment needed i have been lucky enough to of had lots of advice from people on this site and taken it and i would like to thank these people. its just a shame other people don't think the same about there safety. i should be ready to go to sea very soon just waiting for my dry suit to come back from robinhood water sports as its having new seals

14. stonefish

stonefish Any fool can criticise , complain and most fool do

at least he cheated death sooner or later theres gonna be a tragic head line :angry:
    the basic safety would say if its rough and windy don,t go out
    its a bad that a life boat crew have to risk there life again for this its no accident
    maybe a fine for such action would help
    when its an incdenet not an accident the rescued party are fined
    al

15. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Some of the comments are well out of order. Sure, the sea is always a lot more dangerous than people credit but surely Kayak education is the answer not "any ignoramous who takes to the sea in any type of watercraft in the wrong conditions deserves to die". Should we ban cars because they kill around 3000 people a year - many of them children?

Back in January I was setting up to fish Holbeck and there is a two tier path at one point. As I arrived and tugged the (non existent) beard assessing what was in front of me I watched mum and dad take the top tier while they let the kids take the bottom. The kids got to the other end with no problems but about a minute later a huge wave washed the lower tier clean. Are we banning families from the coast now? Surely educating people about the dangers they may run into on the coast is the way to go? And claiming some moral high ground for yourself is surely just tweaking the nose of fate anyhow.

Everyone here was a novice 'numpty' at some point. Be it rock fishing in December or Kayak fishing in summer, perhaps passing on experience via a club or some such is the answer.

As to paying costs... let's hope we don't apply the same criteria to every other walk of life that doesn't involve living in a Michael Jackson oxygen tent.

16. andym

andym Rockling

With the right amount of experience and the right kind of kayak some fun could have been had in the surf but to take a fishing kayak out with the intention of fishing wasn't the best Idea and where were the all important items of safety gear VHF,Flares etc

You really do have to make sure you cover as many eventualities as possible and not rely on a member of the public to raise the alarm if needed

17. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know it may seem harsh some of the things said here.

However at the end of the day somone is going to be killed by thier own ignorance. really i mean come on,. we can mollycoddle them and say "aww its not thier fault, its societies for not putting up warning notices on how not to be an idiot every 3 steps along every coastal beach, path and byway (which of course would be immideatley dismissed as nanny statism and ignored)"

we cannot force each and every seagoing craft user to come here and learn, we cant run a national campaign on the dangers of sea kayak fishing. it is up to the user to seek advice and guidance (that is freely given and pushed at every opportunity) and no matter what we do, how hard we push safety and lists of essential equipment.

Someday someone is going to set to sea in a kayak with the intention of fishing and not return at the end of the day

if this person could be you, if your reading this and think that we are being a bunch of ponces for wearing a PFD and using a radio then think again, ask, learn and hopefully we wont be reading about you on the front of the papers in the future

this is a rant post admittedley but im getting sick to my back teeth of seeing this every other week where someone "narrowly survives". get a grip and start taking safety seriously

grrr end rant !

18. newdave

newdave Guest

thats not a rant Ben, its the absolute truth in my opinion, As you rightly point out every individual should be taking responsibility for there own actions. its unfortunete that there are a lot of newcomers to our sport who just dont want to be told about safety & I for one am not going to force them but please dont blame me if they commit suicide, helps there if its asked for.

Its a sad fact of our society that a lot of folk think that there is some kind of state organisation out there that has a duty to keep us safe & provide for us, perhaps there should be some kind of kayak tax credit system that provides those with no money who want to go Kayak fishing with all the equipment & a training course ?

now thats a Rant :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: