1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boat fishing question - Whats the best position on a boat?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigPauly, Mar 6, 2013.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Aye up lead chuckers!

Simple question - what is the best position to fish from on a charter boat?

Now i'm told the back of the boat is the best place and often see a mad dash for a place at the back when boarding. But why?

I have never really seen anyone do particularly better than anyone else when fishing at the back of the boat so is this a just a myth or is there a good reason?

Quite often if it's been possible I have fished off the front of the boat by myself for more space and less chance of tangles but is this lessening my chances of fish?

Are there areas on the boat that best favour different methods - e.g. is the best position for shading the same as the best position for bait fishing or jigging?

BP

2. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

u see ppl make a rush for the back because when fishing the sides your line has to go under the boat on one side and the other the line goes away from boat its the same for back,,i would say back good for uptiding,,but for shading fish with wind in your face ..

3. jethro

jethro New Member

Don't really think it makes any difference Pauly as long as you have enough room and youre not surrounded by numpty's..lol... The fish are under the boat mate so I suppose they can be caught from anywhere. But you are right for some reason the back seems to be the favourite spot.
    Personally I like the front side of the boat (either side cos the skipper will set you up so youre fishing with the tide one drop then away the next).

Jethro

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Never worried about it myself. Ill fish anywhere. I often get on the front of sea otter 2 just to get away from everyone else, then killer starts flipping out "watch my windows with that lead", "Arghhh you covered the boat in cart". Gonna take him some Valium next time I go.

5. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Yep! get your point about keeping the lead away from the windows Glenn, especially when there's bit of a swell. The front can be a bit more up and down than the back as well so a bit more care needed.
    But as someone else said, if there are any numpties on board then you can keep out of their way at the front.
    BP

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Best position is next to the skipper who knows exactly where the boat is positioned on the wreck and therefore when the best time is to drop you gear into the zone :wink:

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Best position might depend on your priorities........

If you want to cast pirks - safest and best to fish from the stern of the boat (still seen a lot of close shaves over the years though :wounded: ) Some queezy folks don't like the diesel fumes though.

If you want some shelter from weather - stand near the wheelhouse.

If you don't want covering in someone elses puke - upwind of the puker. :vomit:

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Sound theory Al.

Other good positions are next to Cod.ling73 as he seems to have a never ending supply of sweets, where-ever you can see what set up Killer is using (sneaking those crystal tiger shads on) and out of the way of the spray when steaming.
    The back of Mistress is great too with rod racks and a filleting/bait prep table right at hand.

9. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

I dont matter where you are, like Jethr says
    Get someone who hasnt a clue and he could tangle someone on the opposite site of the boat.
    I prefer the front, simple reason when steaming out or back in you dont get soaked with spray.
    I do like the back of the boat only the diesel fumes sometimes set me off.
    It doesnt matter which side you fish
    as the skipper usually approaches so you both take turns in your lines going under the boat.

10. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

any place not next to the one with a line full of hooks and things like a xmass tree :laugh: