1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another bass catch report

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by biscuitlad, Jul 27, 2010.

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well had another go after my disastrous session on Saturday. This time, at least I stayed dry by using chest waders. No more problems with water coming up through my scupper holes, up my back and down my waders! :scare:

So better prepared, with a new spool of (some old) 10lb mono and the last of my Imagine 130s and an ancient Maria Chase SW, I headed out into the gloom. The sky was pretty murky, but the water was crystal clear. A bit too clear possibly, but luckily the sun didn't come out to ruin the day. :happy:

Fishing started immediately, barely 100 yards from launching. It suddenly looked very "bassy", lots of kelp and little patches of sand, so I started with a blue Imagine 130. 3 fish in three casts and I thought, wow, today is going to be amazing. Only that the third fish was a very good one - maybe around the same size as my biggest last year (7lb). I couldn't get it up anywhere near the surface, it was just swimming around like it wasn't attached. I put some real pressure on it, and my line parted. Bye bye dear little piece of jap plastic. :sad:

Anyhow, the fishing was steady after that, but not wild. The fish seemed to be just solitary individuals. I went onto a green Imagine, and had a few, before another good fish took hold. This one was maybe a bit smaller, but definitely a good fish. It came past me like a steam train pulling the kayak round before running into patch of kelp and snagging me. As the water was only 8ft or so and clear I paddled over there and could see the fish thrashing around for a few seconds but I couldn't get to it. I tried sticking my paddle down there and so on but eventually I had to pull for a break. Bye bye second bit of posh plastic. :sad:

After that, I changed to the Maria and it did the business, but it was like pulling a piece of old chain through the water after the Imagines, so I put on another IMA lure, the Komono II. Nice little lure this one, just sub surface, so you can see it wiggling away miles off. Caught a few on it, but was getting tired and hungry, so stopped for lunch.

[​IMG]

Fish taken up to that point:

[​IMG]

After I got going again, I bumped into Glenn's stalker, Buzz! Buzz was very keen to point out a few things, not least the fact that he no longer uses cheap plugs and how good red rods are. It must be said, I felt a bit of a cheapskate next to him but decided I would keep plugging away in my own fashion. :canadian:

To end what has become a long story, I lost my little Komono II to a fish. Not a big one this time, but still. I guess I'm just out of practice with mono. I remembered I always used to check my line after landing a fish and I hadn't done that and it had taken about half a dozen by then. Bugger! Another dear day on the water.

As I was gutting the fish on the way back (ended up with 7 for the pot), I found this little fella still kicking inside one of the bass!

[​IMG]

Cracking day. Must come up with a cheaper way of fishing though!

2. mike33

mike33 New Member

Excellent fishing / report......sounds like you had some fun with them 2 big one's.........Mike

3. robq

robq Rockling

sounds like a good session :yes:

Nice pics too

Must get myself out soon methinks !!

4. andym

andym Rockling

Great report and pics I'm itching to get out again and try and bag my first bass!

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

some nice fat bass there biscuit send a few up our way will you!

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done, great day for you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

7. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Nice fish there mate shame about the plugs.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff Kester, well done.

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

more bass comeing from the south , they will show soon for us ,i am sure matty :yes: :yes: well done biscuet lad

10. congerball

congerball Blenny

sounds like great fishing, well done

11. jody

jody New Member

Cracking fishing there! It's getting me back in to the mood for it.

12. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some nice bass & pics there mate- it makes you think about hanging your wader boots up and buying a kayak

13. Relm

Relm Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking catch, pitty about the tackle losses but gr8 report

14. kipper

kipper New Member

just look at kester's kayak crab nut a scupper pro and go for it. a smart piece of kit.

great report kester, i am off to the south in a couple of weeks taking my scupper pro- my son is catching well off mudeford.

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

No no, you need your waders if you get a kayak! At least that's what I wear. :)

But there seem to be bigger fish coming from the shore this year. Check out Iain's and Glenn's two posts, both from the shore.

16. GRAHAM HILL

GRAHAM HILL New Member

Kester,,

Great report on the yak,,and good to see the IMA lures did some damage

gee

17. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Ay up, didn't know you frequented here! Welcome to the best forum by a mile. :)

18. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i need some bigger balls to go out in one of those kyaks, you lads get some great catches, but i need something as wide as they are long, to get me out there

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Not much room on a yak, especially if you have big balls

20. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Sounds like your balls are big enough mate! I assume you use a wheelbarrow when you're on land?