1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annual Stunt To Get The Non Members Signed Up And Posting

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Nov 15, 2009.

1. stace1g

stace1g Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That would be me as well, but I will post some input when I have something interesting to say!

Gaz

2. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Me Too

3. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

To be honest i don't know enough about fishing to contribute, I bought some kit and im trying to give it a go. Without your forum i would have had nowhere to go. i have been reading on your forum for about 4 months. coming back time and time again to find as much info as i can. This i have enjoyed very much...
    Same reason i don't go into the angling shops when there full, don't want to ask simple questions and look foolish.
    iv been on the end of the pier at Whitby about 3 times, when the experienced guys turn up i tend to move out of the way as i can then watch and see how things should be done. i have also had a few goes at brid up to press iv only had 3 crabs,
    but im enjoying it.
    Maybe you don't realize how important your forum can be for people like me.
    Would love to see some videos of baits and rigs simple things like attaching different baits (been using you tube for this).
    Look im 51 and if i hadn't been reading all your stuff i wouldn't be trying to fish now.
    I have even started reading your info on Kayak fishing, who knows i may even give it a go.
    i'l let you know when i'v hit 10 crabs...

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Good on you Danno, its good to see you get some inspiration from the forum,, but dont be shy asking for info ,just come on here when you need to know something and more offten than not you will get the answer, keep it up mate :cool:

5. bucko

bucko New Member

I have a few thoughts on this Glenn- and an example of another forum imploding due to a similar quandry.
    Obviously I'm not going to publish it so it becomes a floorshow for all but I'll take some screengrabs today and get them to you.

To be fair though- with the fish of the month comps, the photo comps etc I'd say this forum (which was essentially a local forum to start with) has a much healthier level of contributions from its members than other forums that are focussed on national coverage.

Maybe something like a 'Top Tips' competition could be worthwhile as its not always the 'experts' that come up with the best solutions to simple problems. You could even do it on a 'lucky dip' type basis where any tips that are sensible and worthwhile are put in the hat at the end of the month for a tackle voucher or suchlike.

6. whererthefish

whererthefish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well obviously closing the site to non members has worked.. sorry but i have been looking in for about a year now and enjoy reading your posts especially the catch reports , like you have all said not fair to take and not give back so will try and post when i go and blank again. BTW this is top site for the north east

7. IanB

IanB Blenny

Hi danno

I'm no "expert" but been fishing for 40 yrs so if you need to know anything
    just ask away bud

Ian

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I think thats the key - The site needs to be as newbie friendly as possible. With a few notable exceptions is mostly the people who are fairly new to sea fishing who post because they are still keen to show if they have caught something. New people shouldn't be afraid to ask questions and we need to have a friendly helpful attitude to them.

9. trentotter

trentotter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi all my names mark and im from leeds,im a member of bradford sea angling club and up until march was a very active angler.then the unthinkable happened,my wife had an accident and broke her leg and whilst in surgary to repair it they found out she had cancer and its been downhill since. whitby has played a massive part in my life as ive been visiting regular since i was born.even now its the only place my kids know for there hols.ive been reading the forum for ages,but now its the only link to fishing i have(apart from the comics).im hoping to get somthing sorted so i can come and fish a day or two on the uptiding festival so if i can i will post a report.so thanks for the GREAT FORUM and you will be hearing from me in the future...cheers mark........

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sounds interesting Bucko

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Hi Mark, really sorry to hear what you have been through, I cant imagine how hard it must be. All the best to you and your family, and welcome to the site

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

As Matty said, real sorry to hear you and your family are going through a tough time. Hope everything turns for the better mate.

13. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Hi All
    Thanks for your support and encouragement, much appreciated.
    Just an idea:
    What would you think about some sort of posting incentive, light hearted reports
    from people like us newbys over the period of a month, the incentive could be to the winner (suppose the funniest post) a bit of kit or maybe to meet some of you
    (the real fishermen) and get a bit of instruction at sandsend carpark or a night on bempton.
    i sat in sandsend carpark for a few hours yesterday high tide just watching how people cast trying to guess what bait they were using.
    saw two people catch fish haven't got a clue what they were.

and i hope you don't mind me saying this but:
    i think that if someone new posts its important that you (the core of the forum)
    respond, that will encourage people to post more.
    A bit like been excepted in.
    oops said too much already, Its back to reading and not posting for me again.
    Regards Danno

14. Baramundi Bob

Sounds like a booby prize to me. :cheesy: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

this is true and I think most of the lads on here do their bit to welcome all newcomers, theres a welcome/introductions section that Im ready to admit I tend to forget about but any and all questions or reports by any angler wether old or new are read and replied to in the main forum, if you think that anyones going to take the mickey out of a question you want to ask then dont worry, there might be a bit of banter on here but people will do thier best to help out.
    I dont know a fraction of what some of the lads on here know and they have helped me no end since I joined last october
    theres no excuse lurkers.....get posting :tease: :tease:

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'm sure if you asked matey they would be happy to tell you what bait they were using and answer any other questions you have, I know I'd help as much as I can. Specially if you bribe me with a can of coke and a kitkat :cheesy: Odds are you'll bump into someone off this forum which is always a good icebreaker if they recognise your user name :yes:

17. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

I have only been on the forum since Aug 09 but was viewing for a couple of months beforehand. I have been charter boat fishing for about 10 yrs out of whitby, before that south east scotland. I was fortunate to meet willibendit about 7 years ago who has his own boat and needed someone to show him what fish look like :laugh: :laugh: sorry alain but a bit true :whistle: :wink: :wink: :laugh: :laugh:. Since joining the forum I have had the pleasure of meeting harrythecod who has been willing to show me round the shore line and I have come across many people willing to sell top quality bait at a good price and others who are willing to provide good helpful honest info to a shore fishing amateur. For all those out there who feel that they have limited knowledge, i can from first hand experience inform you that asking a question will receive very good replies with a touch of banter which is what fishing is all about. If you feel a bit shy of asking what you think is a daft question, you can always send it privately to someone who posts a lot and I am quite sure they will point you to the right person to help you out. Personally i will help anyone out if i can - ( come on willibendit ) i know you will post another one of your crackers back to that comment :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At the end of the day we are all learning as the fishing is always changing :yes: :yes: cracking forum which is all down to each of us typing a few words be it in jest :laugh: or to be of help :educated: cheers rich

18. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

just to echo a bit of what the others are saying i also read the forum as a guest for a while,the reason was because some of the stuff i was reading was alien to me and i often thought these guys know what there talking about,however the amount of stuff ive learned from whitby sea anglers is priceless i.e marks,rigs,baits.how to keep mussel on a hook..simple things to established members.all im sayin is GUESTS take the plunge and welcome to WSA(Whitby sea anglers) took me a while to click..

19. Baramundi Bob

Without newbies asking questions all we have is us lot yapping on about catching nothing. Most of us now get as much enjoyment out of helping others as we do the fishing so please dont be scarred to ask, and if anyone ever tells you to do a search (My pet hate) then tell them to sod off. By all means use the search facilities to your benefit but never be scarred to ask even if its been asked a thousand times before.

20. paulyfish

paulyfish New Member

ok glen do you know of a one armed casting style.