1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angus Cod Fishing Report...

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jul 9, 2011.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Summer Cod Fishing In North East Scotland.

[​IMG]

Well totally exhausted and well and truly worn out after a weeks Cod fishing with pals Alan (Big Cliff) Martin and Dave "Shed the Lead" Eland (Crab Nut).. I must admit I had a smashing time and really for me that's what fishing is all about.

After spending the weeks previous collecting and sourcing peeler's surely it was time to put my feet up and relax and just let the cod jump into my fish bag.... If only it was that easy.. :cheesy:

Every cod angler will tell you most of the fishing is done before you even wet the line, for every hour spent in the water I guess two hours must be spent behind the scenes collecting bait and looking after it, making leads and rigs checking tides and gathering as much information as possible.

Well a week Cod fishing up North East Scotland is no different, each day you are presented with a new challenge, wind directions, swell, tides etc trying to pick the right venue for that day is not always easy. Luckily for us we were greeted with lovely Summer Cod fishing conditions for the first few days which gave us chance to fish some of the roughest tangle marks on that coastline in search of the red kelp Cod which take up residence in the thick weed beds, and dragging them from there lair is by no means an easy task..

Alan and Dave wait patiently for a bite..

[​IMG]

A typical red kelp Cod for me.

[​IMG]

Peeler Crab was our chosen bait and I think most anglers would agree that its a top bait for catching cod from the weed in the summer months but also we mixed it with lugworm and hermit crab at times..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all managed to catch a fair few fish with the average size very good this year with most fish coming between 3lb-5lb so a good average stamp..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We met up with Forum member (Tricky) who join us for a fishing session although the weather did its up most to stop us catching with torrential rain all day we managed to find a few fish and I think Rick (Tricky) enjoyed the day.

Alan, Martin, Dave and Rick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had to change our tactics a little as the wind swung round to the East and lifted the sea so it was off to try and find fresh fish from the more open broken ground marks we would generally fish during winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin caught this lovely cod of 7lb 8oz, which was to be the biggest of the week..

[​IMG]

We also met with good friend Dave from Dundee (Tangle Jock) who we had fished with us on a previous trip, its always good to chat about fishing.

[​IMG]

Dave (Crab Nut) waits for a bite.

[​IMG]

A pair of fine Scottish Cod

[​IMG]

Strong tackle is needed to drag fish from the rough ground marks.

[​IMG]

But the rewards can be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mart was on top form as usual.

[​IMG]

Thats an ugly looking thing... :ugly: :ugly: And that fish is a bit strange looking too... :laugh: :hurt: :hurt:

[​IMG]

Only joking Alan... :embarrass:

Dave gets a nice fish.

[​IMG]

The ground around Red Head looks tempting..

[​IMG]

Had a really good weeks fishing and I have to take my hat off to Alan at nearly 70 he never missed a session and was up and down the cliffs like a mountain goat.

Tightlines

2. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, brillant gary, well do to you and the lads, great report mate

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic stuff again. Very well done to all of you, some of that is just dream fishing, apart from the easterlies and rain lol. Thanks for sharing a great week and some cracking photos.

4. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking report & pictures ,i would be happy with just 1 of them cod :yes:

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Great report mate, loved reading it. Some cracking pics as always. Glad the weather started off well for you, you lads certainly took advantage of it. I'm really gonna have to get out an have a go up there. Nice one.

6. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Well done Gary very good report look like you had a good report

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Once again, quality fishing and an excellent report mate. Spurs me on when I see these reports with Alan doing the business. He puts a lot of people half his age to shame with his level of fitness and desire for angling.

Looking forward to your mull visits now.

8. woody

woody New Member

brilliant report Gary you boys put the effort in and yet again reap the rewards well done

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report as usual Gary, always a pleasure to read :yes: Some cracking fish there, the markings are stunning. Well done to everyone, looks like a lovely place to spend a week fishing with your mates.

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

top fishing guys,well done :cool: :cool:

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb report and pics yet again,it goes without saying you guys put in a lot of effort pre planning your trips and the rewards are there for all to see time and time again.
    Well done on another terrific weeks fishing

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

once again looks like you had a great week lads. top marks for a great report yet again :yes:

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report Gary, and well done to all the lads, an fantastic report full of information, quality

14. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic report and fantastics pics a massive well done on the fish...........

15. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report mate glad you had a good week and plenty of fish

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

First thing I would like to do is congratulate Gary on a superb report , I feel a bit worn out but it was a hell of a way to get tired and
    wouldnt have missed it for the world :yes: , As Gary said we had changing conditions and we had to re think tactics
    and its still easy from time to time to make a bad shout , places we tried varied from the Blow Hole at Usan Mains , rock
    platforms around Fishtown of Usan , Elephant rock at Boddin , marks around Auchmithie , the harbour rocks , gulleys near
    Maiden stone , rocks south of the harbour , Vicky Park at Arbroath and of course a cliff mark { where the locals walk past }
    on there way to fish the huge rock slabs , there is so much potential in the whole area , we had a look at Red Head but
    because of the conditions we had to give it a miss , but its one for next time , So a big thankyou to the lads who helped
    make it such an enjoyable week for me :yes: :yes:, roll on the next time

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Another great report mate, :yes: looks like you had a good week up there , it was a shame about the weather , i had my eye on it all week hoping it would break for you,
    after months of planing its a bummer when the weather dont play ball,

Alan what do you put in your tea mate, you look fit as a butchers dog,
    did our scot's friend manage to get a few ,

as for mr Eland looks like he was his usual self , calm and patient if he lays back any more he will fall asleep,

once again well done to all :cool:

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Its not worth stressing over H whatever the weather may throw at us we just have to accept it and get on with job in hand. Although it would be nice to fish all week with flat sea's in wall to wall sunshine but in reality it is very rare ever that happens..

Did notice a few more anglers fishing the area, maybe its the power of the internet as we use to very rarely see anyone fishing during the summer months.

I know a few forum lads have ventured up recently and I hope they enjoyed the fishing and the lovely coastline that the area has to offer.

Tightlines

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Excellent stuff Gary, another top report backed up with fish and pics. Some nice fresh cod mixed with some of the redest redies you are likely to see.

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

We didnt manage to fish a couple of our marks , ie 5 yard shot and Ethie cliffs although we did fish the village , It was nice to meet
    up with tangle jock { david ] and to meet Richie [ Tricky } for the first time , We had a good laugh with Martin he complained about
    the bad tasting toothpaste he was using , only to find out he had been using SAVLON , although it seemed to clear up his mouth ulcer :laugh: :laugh: , happy days :yes: :yes: