1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anglers Take 400 Ton Of Bass A Year

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

;)

https://www.facebook.com/WhitbySeaAnglers/posts/10202709793728049

Think I managed 8lb of them last year. How about you ?

2. Solly

Solly Blenny

Someone making stories up. Complete fabrication. I've taken two home in the last 12 months. Our club records for 50 anglers show we have only had four weighed in this winter. The problem is some people will read this and think its true. ::)

3. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a load of Tripe !

Roger

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I would like to say I caught all of them. The reality is, I never caught one from the shore last year so my concience is clear ;D

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

its a load of shit,

think I had 600 tonne myself. wouldn't bother going out for any less

6. andym

andym Rockling

Between me and our Jack we had 7lb huge dent in the population

7. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Have to agree with the posts above.

There isn't anything better than a WAG for the number of UK Sea Anglers so any other numbers are just WAG x WAG (x WAG...).

I'll bet that they took a WAG at the number of anglers and multiplied that by a AG at how many Bass are caught on Jersey then multiplied that by another WAG as to how many 'Sea Fish' end up in the pot. WAG^3 at best.

* WAG = Wild Arsed Guess
    * WAG^3 = WAG x WAG x WAG or just make up some number that promotes your world view. It isn't as though anyone is going to check your numbers.

Glenn - stop promoting this crap! 'Environmentalists' are not your friends.

8. Maye you yes and maybe not much in the NE

But down the SW.....I met a guy who had 60 keepers in a night.....and he'd done it more than once

There are others that have had hundreds across the summer......don't know about weight but there is a lot in the saying a lot o littles make a lot

U

9. andym

andym Rockling

Still way off a trawlers haul and no dead discards though

10. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

So you actually saw him with '60 keepers'? You actually witnessed people with '100's across the summer'?

No? Then you are talking s*ite.

Jesus - you people are preparing your own rope. You are going to find, fairly soon, that you can no longer go fishing.

Here is how it works...

You provide (anecdotal) evidence to the Enviro-loons.
    They then present your (anecdotal) evidence to the EU as 'fact'
    The EU outlaws Bass fishing in the UK.

FFS - stop promoting the Enviro-loon agenda if you are not an Enviro-loon. These people are not your freinds

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

even if it is true it,s a speck in the ocean to what commercials pick up,

we had about 7 last year up the Mull think Garry only kept two.

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well, it wasn't me.
    I had a measly three, to 6lb total, and they all went back happy.
    I had one day in Yorkshire last summer worth speaking about, and a few blanks down Cornwall way.
    Going to make a dent in them this summer though, with a few weeks planned for SW Ireland. Touch wood, and all that!
    ;D

Most bass anglers appear to return, as far as I can make out?

13. congerball

congerball Blenny

0 keepers for me but that's my choice. If someone next to me decided to take all theirs home...fine. No worries.

Going to have a few for the pan this year tho.

14. TheNorthSea

TheNorthSea Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what a load of....... who even wrote that? when will the media stop making fictitious story's and tell everyone that commercial fishermen are still able to land as much bass as they want,legally! and to top it all off at a size where they wont even of had chance to spawn once ???

15. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i had a good few :) but not 400 tons , but ..... i do know of several lads who catch 100s & i mean 100s every season trust me & its not bullshit i have seen it & been with them , i have personally caught 160 in a season ,,, now let the slagging begin !! ;)

16. len29c

len29c Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

400 tonnes = 400 000 kilos which is 400 000 good sized bass (I'd be happy to average 2lb 4oz anyway). This makes me think that the figure is a load of boll**ks

17. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

http://www.marinemanagement.org.uk/seaangling/documents/finalreport.pdf

You can read the DEFRA/CEFAs report at the above link. It seems to have a slightly different spin on the figures for sea bass to those in this headline.

Shore anglers caught between 98 to 143 tonnes of bass and of these only 38 to 56 tonnes were actually kept.

The figure of 440 tonnes is the extreme end of the range (230 to 440 tonnes) of the total kept by shore anglers, private and rental boats and charter boats.

The report itself stresses: "The figures for shore and private boats are the extremes of a range of estimates from several different approaches to analysing the data".

it is usually the case that scientific reports are based on sound science, presented in a transparent way. But naturally with something as complex as estimating the number of fish caught and kept, a lot of analytical statistical techniques have to be used.

A journalist will not bother with such detail nor will they make any attempt to explain the limitations in the headlines. So blame the press, not Cefas.

if you actually read the report you will see it is a measured response that makes it really clear quite how important angling is to the economy.

18. Actually yes.....I have seen the photo of the 60 keepers laid out on the kitchen floor

And yes the hundreds is also a reliable

And I would prefer if you kept your Sh*te to yourself piece of wood

Cheers

U

19. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

We'll I can sleep with a clear conscience on that one.

However I have to confess to murdering hundreds of lug worm! :eek:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I killed a few £15 Yo zuris does that count ??

I did actually spend £300+ on a trip to Mull of Galloway which yielded 1 hard found bass last year. I spent about £200 on plugs and another £200 on rods and reels. All for 3 bass.