1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angler returns 11 pounder

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Taken from

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0200sport/angling/tm_headline=big-cod-continue-to-be-catch-of-the-day%26method=full%26objectid=18568615%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

Which day were those biggies caught on Middleton pier? anybody know?

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats nice to see, there is a write up on nesa , from the lad who caught that 11.lb cod and released it ,apparantly he phoned his missus after landing it who asked his daughter to run down and take a few pics of the fish before releasing it ,......,Thats what i like ....give the odd one a chance

4. Baramundi Bob

I like the idea too dav. Its something I do quite a bit whilst pleasure fishing. (not with 11 pounders though - only cos I cant catch them). Its nice to have the choice to return the fish or put it back. I hope we always have that choice.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Not ever fished it before but apparantly everytime there is a big sea, middleton pier always throws the biggies up , i,ve heard a few stories of 20lbers off there the past few years ,,always fancied it but not exactly sure were to park etc etc , and im sure when theres a sea running it would be like fishing saltburn pier and jam packed ,but worse ,full of geordies and hangers lol....
    Does anyone know of were to park exactly and is it safe parking over there?
    There also looks to be some big sea defence stones on the sea side of the pier so maybe the end would be the place to be

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

To be quite honest i dont think i would return an 11 lber , although these are probably the fish we (i) should be returning ,if and when we catch em ,as these ones the breeders arnt they ?
    i do return a majority of my fish though exept the better ones ie over 5 lb . as i dont eat fish that often and family doesnt bother ,and wouldnt want to start selling them which ive been asked ....

7. Baramundi Bob

Yeah No harm in putting them back or keeping them mate. I get a tad annoyed when people complain about keeping fish, especially when you aware aware of what goes on not too far over the horizon. But I get equally annoyed by people saying you shouldn't put them back. Back in November I had a session one Friday night where I got a fish a cast, I simply lost count, but all of them went back alive. I was telling someone about my catch and they looked at me like I was some sort of retard, shocked that I hadn't killed them to sell to buy some terminal tackle. Needless to say they got a piece of my mind. ;).

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Exactly glen ,i also dont disagree with people keeping fish ,it was just my personal prefrence , so hope no one thinks im, digging , i also agree that the local shore angler has no effect on the stocks of fish anyway regardless if he was out everyday keeping fish ,well when there about lol....like you say the plundering stocks (if they are plundering )are probably, due to big style fishing boats ,and the likes ,but not knowing much about commercial fishing i cant and shouldnt comment .....

9. uggy

uggy Blenny

Dav, park in the residential car park right at the start of the pier, but only with a SE'ly, it's pathetic at other times.
    It will be busy as everyone knows huge fish are possible this time of year with the present conditions.
    I think a lad had a 22lber and a 16lber in succession a couple of years back, with a good chuck straight of the end. There's steps on the right to land em.
    It's clean ground with no sea defences anywhere, only snags are within 20yds of pier wall.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

uggy , were exactly is the parking , and i supose with this wind it will be chokker tonight , this is the long pier with the new whitish wall down its length aint it ?

11. uggy

uggy Blenny

http://www.durham-microlights.co.uk/northMiddleton.JPG

That's Middleton Pier in the link, the bottom one. At it's foot you can see some flats, park in there mate.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

nice one for that bud , there looks some big stones there like , looks a bugger to land fish ,do you find that ? cheers anyway..

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

oops sory ,i always thought middleton was the top one