1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angler / Fisherman Dies At South Gare, A Tragic Loss !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bowesy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

just heard on look north that an angler had to be plucked from the sea by the raf helicopter seaking after falling in the sea hope the bloke is ok has any one else heard out?

2. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Re: fisherman washed off the south gare ???

I just checked the RNLI Redcar webpage in the history section and it is recorded there. Doesn't give much more info than you've already out though bowesy. Hopefully he is o.k after being winched to safety and taken to hospital.

3. jamespenk

jamespenk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Picked up in sea and taken to hospital with sustainable injuries, should be ok i think

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

RNLI Redcar and Hartlepool respond to incident

Date: 24/10/2011

Author: Dave Cocks, Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer

RNLI lifeboats from Redcar and Hartlepool were launched this afternoon (Monday 24 October 2011) after a man was washed from a breakwater into heavy seas.

The alarm was raised just before 3.45pm by a member of the public who witnessed the man being washed from the South Gare breakwater by a large wave.

Volunteer crews from Redcar and Hartlepool lifeboat stations responded. The Redcar Atlantic 75 class lifeboat was on the scene within 15 minutes of the alarm being raised and, guided by the Cleveland police helicopter which was hovering overhead, the crew spotted the man very close to the breakwater wall.

Dave Cocks, RNLI Redcar, said: "Once our lifeboat was able to locate the man, the helmsman did a terrific job of manoeuvring the lifeboat in 10ft seas so that the crew could snatch the man into the lifeboat. Once he was aboard, the crew immediately started administering CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) while the lifeboat was taken into more sheltered water inside the mouth of the River Tees."

A crew member from the Hartlepool inshore lifeboat was transferred to the Redcar lifeboat to assist with the resuscitation efforts while the lifeboat proceeded to the entrance of Tees dock. There, a Sea King helicopter from RAF Leconfield winched up the man and transferred him to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

Dave Cocks, RNLI Redcar, said: "This was an extremely difficult rescue for the RNLI volunteers. There were very large waves breaking onto the sea wall, and the man was very close in. I’m very proud of the way the crews from Redcar and Hartlepool worked together."

5. Baramundi Bob

If he survived it hes one lucky man. Many have been less fortunate over the years. South Gare is lethal in heavy seas.

6. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Easy place to fish but some people dont realise how dangerous it can be in the winter,hope the lad's alright.I looked down there just before hw this afty would'nt of touched it with a barge pole.

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Some people will never learn, :sad: all most on a yearly basis now ,some one gets washed of there,

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

unfortunately it seems that the man has died. ..

"Fisherman dies after being swept into sea at Redcar
    A fisherman has died after being swept into the mouth of the River Tees.
    The 64-year-old, from York, was one of two men swept into the sea in high winds at Redcar's South Gare on Monday.
    He was reached by a lifeboat crew and airlifted by an RAF rescue helicopter to Middlesbrough's James Cook Hospital, where he later died.
    A 63-year-old man, also from York, managed to make his way to land and was taken to hospital. He was released after being treated for hypothermia.
    Sheltered water "

9. Groyne

Groyne Guest

A sad day for angling, a sadder day for his family and friends.

10. bucko

bucko New Member

Sad news.
    I saw a Sea King flying over Middlesbrough centre very low yesterday and heading in the direction of the hospital so assume it was for that poor chap.

11. newbury1

newbury1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a shame, it a lethal place when there's any sort of sea on

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Just seen it on the front page of the gazette, real shame :sad: RIP

13. barry

barry Blenny

14. Baramundi Bob

Tragic loss of a fellow angler. RIP

15. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Thoughts to the family and friends a sad loss in the world of angling.
    These things wouldnt happen half as much if we respected mother nature its just not worth risking life for a fish, so so sad RIP

John

16. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Tragic loss.

What firghtens me just as much is that i've been to the tackle shop this morning, and people are still gossiping about going to the Heugh today, for example. The sea is big out there guys, i watched wave after wave go straight over this morning.

17. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

yes sad loss, r.i.p

18. rizla

rizla Blenny

poor man,absolutely tragic. i heard about it yesterday,but thought he's survived.condolences to his family and friends.

19. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

terrible for the family too RIP but why oh why dont people respect nature & the dangers it can bring sad loss but was it nesasary ?

20. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

So sad to hear the Gare has claimed another life. I wonder if, after driving from York they felt forced to take the risk rather than driving straight back home or finding somewhere more sheltered.

To those that take the risk in similar conditions (and I've seen them) let this be a salutary story.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Nick