1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Eventful Few Days At The Mull Of Galloway

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Read about Mull Of Galloway Sea Angling Here.
    Read All The Forum Topics On The Mull Of Galloway Here.
    Read About Sea Fishing In Scotland Here

Six of us have been fishing The Mull Of Galloway since last Friday. In reality the fishing has been very poor with just a single bass between us all. The pollack fishing has been a little better but no-where near the quality experienced on our past visits.

Sunday was a bit of a disaster and to be honest we are very lucky to be alive. Weve chilled a bit since then and been back out fishing every day.

Total for the week between us all equates to about 50 pollack, 5 dog fish, 1 bull huss, 1 bass, 2 million mackerel, 5 congers, 5 cuckoo wrasse and a partridge in a pear tree.

Highlights for me was my first Mull Of Galloway conger after 4 years of trying, and also taking second place in the Mariners bass fishing competition (only 2 anglers weighing in from over 20 entrants tells its own story).

Heres a few pics from our travels. I hope you enjoy them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1239787_629769140391091_451877932_n.jpg

2. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glenn,

Nice report.

We were up this weekend too, infact we passed your convoy of cars heading away from the farm at about 10am Saturday morning. Hope everyone is ok from whatever disaster happened and its more a shake than any lasting injuries.

Fishing wasnt great for us either, we had some ok numbers but sizes were way down, with only a few better fishing showing betwen the rest.

Im just uploading some photos from the weekend myself to put up a bit of a report.

Most people we spoke to up their the four times we have been up this year were complaining about the fishing being not what it should and poor, but I still find it a great eekend /few days away regardless of how well I do or dont do. It can be frustrating but like most things in life nothing good ever comes easy and we plan on keep on going back to really try to get our heads round the place or at least a few marks lol.

Ben

3. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Stunning pics as usual glenn.shame about the fishing but im sure the company and surroundings make up for that

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sounds an eventful week, glad your all well though. Big well done on the conger and the bass Glenn, not a bad week then really, and it really looks like you had the weather and a few good laughs on the way.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there Glenn and some cracking photographs , I recognised quite a few of the marks from the pics , it was nice to see you in the right place below the Foghorn buzzer , it gets right up my nose the notice saying No Fishing below the Foghorn because of nesting birds , what a load of bollocks , if you can climb down there you aren't going to climb past , shags, cormorants, kittiwakes , guillemots nests etc unless you are
    Spiderman of course , I offered to take the head man of the RSPB for the area down there , saying to him if we disturb any nesting birds I would
    put a hefty donation in the funds, if no birds were disturbed he would remove the notice , he wouldn't take me up on the offer , even the local press got hold of it , but no he wouldn't come out to play , all wind and water

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Canny report Glenn and once again some cracking photo,s,
    shame about the fishing being a bit slow ,
    it is a bit hit and miss at times ,
    i think we may have seen the best the MOG has to offer these days .

7. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Good to see you all made it back in one piece :scare:

Some excellent shots Glenn and you all managed to get among some fish.

It's not much of a consolation but the bass fishing up there has been very patchy this year with not many reports of decent sized fish.

8. Baramundi Bob

I really dont know what to think of the mull over the past few years. Weve had some great experiences there and Im wondering of we just expect too much of the place.

There are numerous theories on the lack of fish this year. However I dont think its just this year as in my eyes there has been a steady decline in th 4 years we have been going there, infact my first 30 minutes there were my best ever with 2 6lb bass in the first half hour.

Reasons Ive heard are numerous, but obviously all based on individual subjective opinion. These are just a few hypotheses Ive heard banded about :

Too many anglers.
    Illegal fishing for razer fish using electric welders.
    Commercial fishing for bass as its worth £20 per kilo
    Too much food in the bay
    Too many mackerel and baitfish this year
    All the fish going to the other side of Luce Bay
    Yearly fluctuations.

One thing I do know is that I could have had better fishing right here in Yorkshire. Maybe next year we will check out a new venue. Does anyone know anything about the Dovey Estuary in Wales, in terms of bass fishing ??

9. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good report were hoping for a few days in sept recognise a few marks but some new
    how do we find them?
    was told by local that fishing slow this year but hopefully will pick up

10. Baramundi Bob

Even if the fishing is poor you are garunteed its better than being at work, and you nevr know what is coming next. Sadly at various times members of our group got down hearted. Some days people never even wet a line. My philosophy for angling is you only get out what you put in. So go with the intention of enjoying it, fish hard and you will be rewarded. Dont be put off by the poor reports, I know of 4 double figure bass all caught within a mile of each other. All except 1 were returned so could still be there somewhere.

With regards to the marks, read this :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-at-the-rhins-and-mull-of-galloway

If you have any specific questions then please ask. There are plenty of us on here with at least some knowledge of the area. Its worth getting the os map and taking it into Stranraer tackle shop and asking him to mark it up for you.

Also dont get hung up on wanting to fish known marks. The whole costline looks amazing and has massive potential if your willing to go for it and chance new to you venues.

11. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

looks great. wish I had time for such ventures.

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Fantastic post as always. Great pictures and good info. I am a bit like you Glenn wondering what has happened to the Mull, are we expecting far too much..? I have fished the Mull for many years now and just to be up there with or without a fishing rod is great and without doubt it is a special place, had some wonderful memories and hope to have many more. I think sometimes though I am guilty of wanting it to produce its treasures every time I cast a line, but in reality that's not going to happen all the time. I know what the Mull is capable of and hope one day it will give up its goods again.. I cant help thinking its my own greed which spoils it for me, for example am i really happy with a couple of bass, no I want a dozen, a 4lbers not that special I want a 6lber. Not a good session on the Pollack unless I have had 20+ with one or two between 5-7lb, A few conger is not that great unless they are in to double figures.... Why after awhile do we start to think like this? Wasn't fishing much more enjoyable when we were over the moon, when we caught a Bass or a Pollack or a Conger regardless of its size. I guess that's why I enjoy taking and showing people what the Mull has to offer, In the last few years we've had Lee, Andy, Dav, John and a few others and its great to see the enjoyment through them, seeing them catch there first Pollack or Bass, watching them struggle to get a Conger moving and I think back how much I enjoyed it when I was in there shoe's... Its sad that we put such expectations on such a lovely place and on ourselves for that matter.. I guess anyone who is well into there fishing knows its like a drug, you need more and more to give you that high and the first time was the best, we spend lots of money on shiney new lures or rubber jellys and new toys, hoping to get that feeling once again... I guess its a flaw in the human race, but then again if we didn't have the desire to better ourselves we would still be living in caves and not have accomplished very much... Will we ever be totally content or is not being content the key to success???

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I first visited the MOG 35 years ago and believe me I have some great memories over that time ------

Even years ago things were never a constant , there was years when the conditions weren't great it was hard going and catches were down , and even when conditions were good there was still years that were better than others ,

I suspect the Bass fishing may be suffering due to commercial pressures , but who really knows

Like other areas the exact stage of the tide for that particular mark has a great bearing on catches , along with tide size and conditions

there is certain areas that you just don't want to be fishing if you are serious about catching good sized fish but quite often I have seen groups of anglers doing just that ,

an OS map is worth its weight in gold and an imagination that runs wild at times , thinking outside of the box , the good news is
    there is still marks there that have still not seen an angler , that alone should fire anglers up

14. Baramundi Bob

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Had a feeling it would have been those hoofy shits!
    Don't trust them outside of a floured bap!- Too many close calls with them in the past.
    Glad no one was hurt.

Great pics and report though- doesn't look like a bad day at the office at all.

16. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glad you're all ok, must have been bloody terrifying. Thanks for the report and pics as well.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sorry Glenn, but you are starting to MILK this story a little bit now :cheesy:. Sorry, glad your all safe, bloody cows, thank God you actually were in vehicles, can you imagine it if you had been on foot or motorbikes. You will all laugh at it one day, hope after all the insurance companies have been dealt with you all get to smile a little and consider returning to the Mull :happy:

Have any of you guys experienced the tope fishing and smoothound fishing available in Luce Bay and Wigtown Bay, I remember an amazing few days up there a few years ago. All available from the shore of kayak.

18. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

I thort Damo was the cow whisperer last year where we're his magic cow calming powers this time

19. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ken, we had the yaks with us but didnt dare go for the tope. I think we can do it safely but its not far from the main tide run and I think Mike wasnt too keen.

Really need some help and advice on that front.

20. Baramundi Bob

Damo and Faron had gone before us so missed all the fun. Damo would have had them sorted.