1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An early morning session and sea like glass.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jul 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

After selling up all my kayak gear in the hope of a small boat, tis week has seen savings and credit cards get a hammering and me get sorted with the basics to get back afloat. Ken and Fi delivered the new yak a couple of days ago but work has prevented me getting out until this morning.

I decided that with the wind being virtually non existent I would chance a bass session so headed to the nearby 'ankle deep' bass grounds......I only had a few hours as loads of jobs to do , so being only 15 minutes or so away it is ideal.

Up bright and early all giddy kipper, quick coffee and on the road just as the day was breaking. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was getting ready to launch I had a nice natter with one of the local small boat potters before paddling out across what was like a mill pond...........what a start to my return to the kayak....perfect conditions for an easy paddle with nothing too challenging. I was out by 05.15 and was expecting company to be turning up shortly...........as it turned out that company had a severe case of velcro back and couldn t get it off the bed ! :laugh:

[​IMG]

I was travelling really light, just safety gear, one rod, a few plugs and some soft plastic lures and a drink.

I set up a jointed Fladen plug........something similar to J14 I think ? I didn't have to wait long before the rod tip pulled jagedly round......the new yak was christened, a spirited fight from a schoolie. A quick couple of photo's and I slipped the fish back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really was lovely out there , not a breath of wind and that lovely oiley like sea, I slowly made my way North to a mark I remembered from before and having no sounder I was having to guess at the depth (maybe next month I ll splash out on one.....maybe not though :wink:)........I had one more schoolie about 20 minutes after the first which again was slipped back.

I decided that I would try a little closer in , somewhere around the 8 - 14 ft depth (guesstimate) and almost straight away I had a much better take, this time the fish was taking line. A much better fight this time with several really strong runs before the lovely silver and gold gill covers rolled on the surface.
    I decided to paddle in to take a better photo of this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back out and I had a few casts about with the soft plastics and then tried trolling some different plugs at different depths but couldn't find anything else so put the jointed plug back on and went back tight inside for one last run along the fronts.

Again after only a short while I hit another schoolie in only about 8ft or so depth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was it as far fish went....so not a hectic session but really enjoyable to be back out and to catch my target species as a bonus. :cool: Three hours paddling and with aching shoulders I made myself back in and home for some breakfast.
    The better fish was a smidgin under 4lb.....bbq'd bass for tea tonight in our house.

2. robq

robq Rockling

Nice one Dave :cool: Il bet its good to back afloat !!

Nice to see the bass have finally turned up and happily feeding on the £1.99 boyes plastic :cheesy: :cheesy:

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I tried, a sliver, an X-rap, Angle Kiss and a few mega bass soft lures but all the fish came to the cheapo lure Rob.....mind you I have replaced the three year old rusty hooks with new ones..lol :wink:

The taken fish had a belly full of squat lobsters, no fish.

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Brilliant stuff Dave, so chuffed for you, really good to see you back were you belong - on the sea in a kayak :happy:.

And I'm sorry mate, I'm crap at early mornings never mind middle of the night :cheesy:

Lets get out soon though

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Dave, good to sea, must get myself down there this week if the weather plays ball.

6. Baramundi Bob

£uck me, theyre taking the cheap plugs ?? Must be stupid or something :)

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Good to see you back on the yaks, a wise move, but thought you'd have matured to Radio 4 at that time of morning

8. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

jeeesus dave ,I never knew there was such a time,well done on the bass

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Nice one lads.........I thought that I d waved...pardon the pun....to my kayaking days.....was great to be back out and what was great was travelling so light, not much to lug about just the bare essentials. :cool:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The conditions were amazing this morning......I ve not been out that early in such glass like conditions.....what was brilliant was watching the Bass, boiling and tail flicking as I paddled along. There was a lot of bass inside today .....I didn t have a great selection of plugs though.

What plug would you guys recommend for trolling in the top 2-3 ft of water ?

11. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff Dave the red head yo zuris are ideal for running shallow I was on the water for 03:00 this morning float fishing for Mackerel love seeing the float slide away and great sport on light gear

12. Baramundi Bob

The one and only, the very one and only Storm jointed thunderstick original. Ive seen Ken put them to good use there. Yo zuris are quite a bit deeper, infact deeper than it says on the pack as well.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I remember seeing him with those now you mention the Thunderstick.

Three ordered :cool: :cool:

14. robq

robq Rockling

beat me to it glenn :yes:

The storm jointed thunderstick is probably my favourite shallow diving plug :happy:

15. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Well done did the same patch 12 hrs before and couldn't find the bass. Managed a few mac and small cod a bit further out on Savage gears.
    Best invest in some cheap plugs and put the Yo Zuris back on the shelf!!

Regards
    John

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ll probably go back for another go early Tuesday morning, on late shifts so a quick hit bass attack is about all I can squeeze in before work.

I ve been out again this morning off Hornsea in search of Mackerel, despite trolling, casting , jigging on the drift over a wide area up to about 2 mile off I couldn t find a single macky :sad:

I had to cut short the session after 2 hours as the fog started to come down and despite having the gps I didn't fancy being out there on my own in those conditions so back in for breaky. :cool:

17. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Angel kiss runs shallow Dave?

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

top foot aren t they ? looking just that bit deeper, I ve got an Angel Kiss.......sounds likes Glenn and Rob's answer is the one. :cool:.......lol...the one in a plug....really :laugh:, until the next one and the next :laugh:

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great session Dave.. I have sold my kayak now. It now lives on the Isle of Skye, got a SIB, but did feel sad when I let the kayak go..

Well done on the bass..

20. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

Dan the pollock has just got some new storm sea bass thunder minnows they fly out mileson shore and of ccourse for the yaks the max they go Glenn is 0.5. The finish on them is up there with a £18 quid lure and don't want to put my life on it but £8 poundssounds about right sand these plugs are by far the best storm plugs ever. They work so nice as well have a look on you tube there's a new demo on there and I prefer the action to the yo-zuri's which Glenn mentioned do run a fair bit deeper than the box says but in all fairness these storm run shallow as it says on the box and are beautifully made and come in some gorgeous colours not seen on other makes who all seem to copy the colours exactly. Hope this helps on the lure questions and do try them if you can :yes: