1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An ANGLING post from the weekend. Sorry, no poaching here!!!

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by rupert, Nov 7, 2011.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

Dav

I've just looked out my sinking tippet sections for my Rio Windcutter 10/11/12.

The tips are 15' long and have colour coded bands on the loop.

Type Sink rate Loop Colour
    Intermediate 1.5 - 2ips Clear
    Type 3DC 3 - 4 ips Yellow
    Type 6DC 5 - 7 ips Grey
    Type 8 DC 8 - 9 ips Green

2. rupert

rupert Blenny

Those photos are my friend John. He's easy to tell apart from me side on - he has a massive conk!

Yes, John fishes sometimes with line off the reel, personally I don't. Its one of the million dollar questions in salmon fishing too. Personally, I don't see the point.

My logic is that if a salmon takes the fly, it has to close it's mouth to register a take at the rod end. I can't see that giving it anymore time, or a loop of line, is going to make the hook hold any better. It's not as if it is going to swallow the fly any deeper by giving it line, or more time.

I fish straight off the reel, with the rod pointing straight down the line. By the time I register the take, the bit of bend that is normally in the fly line pulls straight and the reel 'sounds'. I don't claim to get a good hook hold on all the salmon when fishing off the reel, but I hook enough to convince me to persist with this method! I certainly don't think throwing more slack line at the take would help, but I know plenty of folk who would beg to differ!

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats just what i needed . thanks for that rupert . there now in order ... :embarrass:
    One thing ive found is i had to tie the leader direct to the end of the tips with a nailess nail knot
    I would of much prefared if the tips came with built in loops on either end , i did try a braided loop but found the tips are to thinn for the braid to get a proper grip . and with knowing that i am inclined to fit one and glue as ide be questioning it every cast .
    I do like the nailess nail knot for fastening leader direct to the tip but dont really want to have to cut it back everytime i fix a new leader on .
    I have a loop made form strionger line connected with nailless knotted on my trout outfit and just loop a leader to that , i do change it regular tho , i would do the same for me salmon line but would prefare it if there was a proper loop on it ....any suggestions . or how do you do it if you dont mind me asking ...Thanks

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Whatever joint you use, I think you really need to have complete confidence in it.

I've seen some horrors before with those braided loops. A friend once lost a salmon when the braided loop was being wound in through the tip ring, and it pushed the plastic sleeve holding it on, the braided loop lost its grip, and well, you can guess the rest. :angry:

I do use braided loops for certain applications, but I thread them on the fly line, then pull back the last 3" put some fishing glue (super type glue) then stretch the braided loop back in place over the glued section. I don't use the plastic sleeve they are supplied with, but whip the ends of the braided leader with fly tying thread. I've never had one of these give on me.

For the Rio Windcutter tips all I do is put one granny knot, pulled really tight, in the very end, clipping off the surplus of the tag end. The mono is then attatched with a loop which is held in place by the granny knot. It means you can put a fresh leader on dead easily too. It's not the prettiest of ways to attatch the mono, but I know it's strong and never failed me yet.

I know other methods of attatchment might be more streamlined, but when your fishing a brass tube fly, whatever you use, the presentation is not going to be excactly what you might call subtle.

5. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cheers rupert ,i also fish off the reel in the manner described by you i have total confidence that way

6. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Wow, what a lovely fish!
    well done Rupert. We need to talk about pike again....

7. woody

woody New Member

nice one rupert i have been up on the border esk on the tinnings stretch 2 weeks ago as a guest my mate had a lovely hen fish fresh on the fly , was a good day seen lots of salmon great for a change !!!

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Actually Peter, your small swivel idea is not a completely daft idea for the end of a sinking fly line.

I'd suggest however, that Oval Carp Rig Rings, would be a neater and better solution. The majority of tangles are caused by the leader folding back on itself, through poor casting technique. A swivel alone won't cure this.

These are the type of things I would suggest instead of your swivel and would give a lighter, yet strong and secure leader connection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-OVAL-RIG-RINGS-4-5mm-BLACK-ANTI-GLARE-CARP-/260888324408?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3cbe27e938

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Thanks for the tip Rupert i will look into them rings.
    I got the smallest barrel swivells from Spotty Dogs course fishing section and i now forget how many years ive used the swivels but i do have 100% confidence now in my link.
    My Cortland Blue Intermediate and the Hardy Floater line i use both have the little swivels on the end.
    I then use 10 pound mono tied to the swivel. A water knot with one dropper carries my Bibio and Peter - Ross.
    I t all works for me Rupert and i dare not change now :wink: :happy:

11. peter catchpole

i know its a long way off yet next season ,but hows about a meet up of us salmon anglers & book a beat for a day if possible ,tyne annan esk ? anywhere really would be a great day & meet faces

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Put my name down for that like .... :yes: :yes:

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

Good idea on the fishing front. I'd be up for that.

Another idea might be to book a days casting tuition with a double handed rod. A few people have said on here they're struggling a bit. I was taught to Spey cast by Chris Cody an Irish gillie on the Blackwater. He got me going in no time at all.

What does anyone else think?

14. peter catchpole

im all in favour i took some salmon anglers to a place nr settle north yorkshire a trout fishery i cant remember the name but the guy was bloody brilliant he showed us all how to do it cheap too , he had experienced men casting like never before does block bookings too ,i will look him up again & get the number :yes:

15. peter catchpole

remembered now its helwith bridge fishery tel no , 015242 41696 mobile 07790184641 dave ,