1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An 11lb Cod From Bempton

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by gibby, Feb 20, 2014.

1. gibby

gibby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bempton Report

I walked along Bempton bottoms, to sub gulley with my mate mick darling, where we did a spot of fishing.

Mick was the first to get a cod about 5o clock time but it was a little slow for the next hour. Then it got to around 6 o clock and I got four out in an hour.

The first fish I got was bang on a 11lb, my mate had another 1 around 9 o clock time.

In total we had 6 between us, all the other fish were between 2 and 3 pounds.

I went to Kodak photography shop in Scarborough to get picture off my phone

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Gibby, well done on the double mate. If you get a picture of it then you will be eligible for our heaviest fish of the month competition.

That walk to Submarine Gulley is quite a walk isnt it. Did you go from Rheighton, and how long did it take you to get there ??

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33579.0

4. gibby

there is a church at speeton we walked over the fields and down the track on to the beach wish we had gone reighton way it took at least 2 hours coming back I was on my knees my mate couldn't stop laughing at me all the way back I had 18 lb extra on my back coming home but you have got to do these things if you want fish plenty of colour in the water I wiil try send picture of fish if I can suss out what to do by the way my first ever double so not before time

5. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well deserved for putting the effort in nice to see you get the rewards.

6. gibby

11lb Cod at Submarine Gully, Bempton

Set off from home at about 1.40pm got to Speeton where the church is, walked over the fields and down the track onto the beach for the long trek across Bempton Bottoms.aded for submarine gully arriving there at 3.30pm. The first hour and half was a bit slow, me and my mate, Mick Darling both missed bites, it got around to 5pm when Mick shouted he had a fish which was a cod around 2 and 1/2 lbs, the next hour slowed again but around 6pm I got the bite I felt the line go slack so tightened my line up where I felt the bite, waited for a while and then came another bite, I then struck putting the hook through its lip. I managed to pump the fish through the kelp and I shouted to Mick to grab the fish which turned out to be an 11lb cod, the next 3 chucks I got another 3 out so 4 in 4 casts all in 1 hour, Mick got 15 fish on prawn and mussel tied on, I was using yellow tails when I caught the 11lb cod. Mick got another mop around 9pm using worm, it took 2 hours to get back to the car afterwards. I used an Anyfish Anywhere Big Beach rod with Daiwa Tournament reel 25lb Daiwa sensor main line and 80lb Shock Leader. I got the photos printed off in town, they are attached to this.

Set off from home at about 1.40pm got to Speeton where the church is, walked over the fields and down the track onto the beach for the long trek across bempton bottoms. We headed for submarine gully arriving there at 3.30pm. The first hour and half was a bit slow, me and my mate, Mick Darling both missed bites, it got around to 5pm when Mick shouted he had a fish which was a cod around 2 and 1/2 lbs, the next hour slowed again but around 6pm I got the bite I felt the line go slack so tightened my line up where I felt the bite, waited for a while and then came another bite, I then struck putting the hook through its lip. I managed to pump the fish through the kelp and I shouted to Mick to grab the fish which turned out to be an 11lb cod, the next 3 chucks I got another 3 out so 4 in 4 casts all in 1 hour, Mick got 15 fish on prawn and mussel tied on, I was using yellow tails when I caught the 11lb cod. Mick got another mop around 9pm using worm, it took 2 hours to get back to the car afterwards. I used an Anyfish Anywhere Big Beach rod with Daiwa Tournament reel 25lb Daiwa sensor main line and 80lb Shock Leader. I got the photos printed off at one of the last remaining photo shops in town, they are attached to this.

Attached Files:

7. gibby

Photos of the 11lb Cod

Attached Files:

8. DJG

DJG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We'll done gibby, that's a nice cod massive for the sub, I was the other angler down there you spoke to I got 3 out in 20mins just after you started fishing then didn't have another bite moved a couple of times but could not find them. It only took me 1 hour to walk back to the car lol cheers dave.

9. gibby

My mate said he saw you pull 1 in well done on the 3 it paid off for you ln the end1

10. gibby

Re: 11lb Cod at Submarine Gully, Bempton

My lad put on 15 on prawn and mussel should of been 1 fish on prawn and mussel and the other 1 he got was on worm

11. robq

robq Rockling

A nice reward for a long trek 8)

Well done :)