1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ste muir

ste muir New Member

OH OH ! This could lead to all hell breaking loose :scared:

2. spruce

spruce Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

"OH OH ! This could lead to all hell breaking loose"

I hope not, this is an open forum where people can [or should be able to] express their views.

3. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My opinion is that it all boils down to common sense. If you catch a size fish and you know it's going to be appreciated at the table, why not take it. If the freezer is already full put it back.

My personal preference is to release all Bass, but I would not think any different of an angler if they took Bass for the table. Just as long as it is not going to waste in the bin or freezer.

4. spruce

Agree 100% with everything you say, my sentiments entirely.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

If you find it offensive, tough shhit mate, thats my stance and its based on how people with judgmental attitudes have made me feel, and I certainly aint alone, I know Mike was all for catch and release on bass last year and I have noted a change in his outlook too. We are getting fed up of being told what to do.

However I feel you have misunderstood my post a little. Its not people catching and returning fish that gets my back up, infact I have the upmost respect for anyone who returns a fish and would never call them a moron or anything else derogatory, its the judgmental attitude of those anglers who feel everyone else should do the same as them, ie those who go around saying you should put some back, because ...... Blah Blah Blah, basically they can pizz right off as far as im concerned, I havent put the amount of work into this site that I have for anyone like that to benefit from it. This site is plain and simply for anglers, old, young, male, femal, new or experienced. The site is to help people catch fish, and after that I dont care what they do with them, its non of my business and certainly non of yours. If you judge myself or anyone else who chooses to do whatever they like with a legally caught fish then quite simply you arent welcome here, end of debate matey, its the forum rules. As they say in France - Au revoire.

6. Baramundi Bob

No, this forum has rules matey, rules made by me. The reason I made the rules was to make it the best forum on the internet and to stop the catch and release morons from making it just like all the other forums where people are scared to post up there catches in case they get rediculed for it. Those other forums all had great anglers and great catch reports at some point in time, but they lost those catch reports because they failed to stamp out the nonsense. This forum wont go the same way and I would rather loose posters like you than the quality posters who go out, catch fish and share their experiences for everyone elses benefit. You signed up to the rules when you joined, and if you dont like them, well you know where the door is, please close it behind you.

Anyone else ??

7. spruce

And I fear you have totally misunderstood my response. As I said I am not averse to killing fish, far from it. I enjoy catching & eating them. I don't think I misunderstood you when stated that "to piss off the catch and release brigade you will kill everything even if it means giving it away or throwing it in the bin"...and you were talking specifically about bass. I repeat, I find that just as offensive as you find the views of the C&R brigade. As to forum rules....have I posted anything that could be labelled libellous, defamatory, racist, obscene etc? The answer is no. If I may have posted something that you personally disagree with well "tough s**t to you as well, matey." As to the forum door...if you are the doorman then you fit the bill of the archetypal slack jawed, slavering, banjo plucking neanderthal who unfortunately seem to lurk by these. Watch your fingers...SLAM! there I've done the job for you. Maybe when you fancy some alternative work can I suggest you ring up North Korea, I understand they are looking for a cultural attache. Shame it had to end like this because I actually find this one of the better forums on the internet, packed with great information obviously written by people who know a great deal, shame you aren't one of em!

8. Baramundi Bob

To be honest, even if I did catch fish and dig them all into a hole in the ground. Its entirely legal and non of your flaming buisness.

Ill ignore the last bit as its a tad silly, but Yes it is one of the best, infact to be honest I aint seen a better one yet, and I read most of them to get ideas and keep up with things. Sadly there are Too many with silly average posts with no pictures, and the blind leading the blind eg

I hope you enjoy those types of places because its the only ones that will tolerate anything even if it puts people off.

The only ones I seriously enjoy posting on are some of the sub boards on wsf. The reason the better anglers come here is because they dont have to worry about people giving them a hard time for catching fish, which is the reason I made the rule. Play by the rules and your fine here, go against them and you wont last 5 minutes. The choice to leave is yours entirely. Bon Soire !!

9. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

[quote author=spruce] Shame it had to end like this because I actually find this one of the better forums on the internet, packed with great information obviously written by people who know a great deal, shame you aren't one of em!
    [/quote]

Oh dearie dearie me this guy has got to be the most mis informed member ever to post on here. This quote actually made me splutter coffee all over myself.

Seanyroo roo great report and great session feller.

10. robq

robq Rockling

I have re - read Spruces post and have to say that my interpretation of it ( and I know that poeple have different interpretations ) Is that he was saying that he found it offensive that somebody would kill bass and then throw them away as a matter of principle ??

If that is the case then I too find it offensive that somebody would waste such a beautiful sportfish to make a point with a zero audience :crazy:

I have no problem with poeple killing what they catch if they are going to eat it or it is going to someone who will, but to see prime sportfish go to waste is sad IMHO

However for a new member to post such a provocative post does have a ring of a troll to it and maybe he should have read the forum rules more thoroughly first !!!

11. Baramundi Bob

Its non of your business either Rob, its entirely down to each individual to do as they please with their fish, end of, you have no right to judge me on what I choose to do with the fish I catch,be that kill, return, eat, use as fertiliser, bin, or even send them into outer space its entirely my prerogative and nothing to do with you or any forum member or any other person for that matter.

12. robq

robq Rockling

Glenn how would you feel if a forum member went down to one of your local bass marks and took half a dozen bass for the sake of it ?? If you knew that they intended to just throw them away ??

Would you not feel in the slightest upset ??

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Totally echo what Rob said earlier.

If you want to keep your business your own Glenn then it's probably best to not to say such things on an open forum, you know it's going to attract trouble so I guess you have to expect some replies that don't necessarily agree with your own.

My take on the subject, I have no problem with people taking size fish for the table or anyone preferring C&R. Each to their own as long as no one tries to force their opinions onto others then it's fine, I personally don't always agree with how some go about there fishing but I don't go preaching to others same as I don't want people preaching to me.

I don't agree with the whole killing fish just for the sake of it but if you choose to do such a thing then it's not for me or anyone else to try and stop you or others, seems a shame but again your choice.

Not sure why we keep getting these sort of threads, always brings an otherwise great forum into disrupt :sad:

14. Baramundi Bob

The likelyhood of that is pretty slim. I mean who catches fish to throw them away really :wink: ?? But if he did, what could I do about it ? Its entirely legal and entirely upto him. I have seen practices I dont like, masses of billet fed to dogs, piles of mackerel left on piers, I even dont like to see lovely pollack going all dry on the back of a yak, but I keep it to myself and just think, non of my business.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I love my fishing with a passion and when someone tgells me I shouldn t take a fish then it really grips my sh!t....I took a couple of the pollock I caught from the yak because I enjoy eating pollock but what a great sportfish and so when I don t want to eat one I put them back.

I don't agree with waste, not to make a point, not because of lack of consideration for others or any other conceivable reason that individual comes up with waste is waste and we have all seen the films of tons of fish being dumped over the sdes of trawlers and taken umbridge about that sight. Not on the same scale but surely as an angler you have to have a respect and a love of the fish you seek to catch so really who cares what the catch and release brigade say respect for the fish we are hunting should say we don't waste them.

I doubt that anyone with a passion for their fishing would really throw them away and if they doid well yes that is their choice and nothing to do with anyone else but I could never condone that. Each to their own I suppose .

16. Baramundi Bob

Ok, so now you know I dont take pollack, I think they're far to beautiful to kill, must admit to taking the very odd one in the past and Mike has always made good use of them, the lad loves them, but in the last couple of years almost all have gone back. I may at some time in the future take a few more but it wont be that many.

So Thats my thoughts on pollack. How would you feel Dave if I turned around and said you should have returned all those pollack you caught at Ravenscar ? You would think, what a w@nker he is, non of his business, and very rightly so I must add. It is non of my business and hence I dont blart on on here about it. Youve never heard me criticise anyone for keeping or even returning a fish, my comments are usually "well done" and thats a sentiment that comes from my heart as I do mean well done and I get a thrill out of seeing what other people are catching, I love it!!.

How long would the forum survive if everytime one of you killed a pollack, I was to give you a hard time ? You wouldnt post again would you.

This is why I make a very firm stance on the issue and this is why I will never ever back down. What people do with fish is firstly, noone elses business and secondly its irrelevant to this forum which should focus on fishing, catching and sharing information for the better good of all.

17. robq

robq Rockling

I totally disagree Glenn It is my business !!

I,m not talking about whats legally right !!

Is it OK to murder fish for the sake of it ( and not for the table or useful use ) just because the law says we can ??

I dont find that OK

I prefer a more common sense approach to what I keep and return, as I think you will find most anglers do !!

If jellyworm had boasted that he took those pollack and then binned them as a matter of principle how would you feel about it ??

I doubt you would have been silent :no:

18. Baramundi Bob

We could go on forever Rob, as far as Im concerned its only the business of the captor to do with his catch as he sees fit, and as forum owner, and for the better long term good of this site, I have in the past and will again in the future remove any posts from any member who posts judgemental comments about the catches and use of fish of another forum member. This includes the capture of fish in matches too. That rule stands regardless of who it is or how morally right they believe themselves to be. I will never be shifted on this one.

19. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

kill it cook it eat it ,put it back ,give it away .yes this is your business and nobody Else's but to say throw them away, bin them on an open forum well that is just wrong ....

20. langy

langy Rockling

There's a storm brewing :evil: