1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All the gear and nee idea

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andy appleby, Nov 15, 2017.

1. andy appleby

andy appleby New Member

As title say I’m brand new to sea fishing after many years of salmon fishing on the Tyne, I’ve decided to give this a bash over the winter months! I’m kinda hoping someone will take pitty on me and let me tag along with them.
    I’m from Durham area and drive so no issues with what marks are fished just after some sound advice

2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Roker Pier sea fishing mark

try looking at local venues by searching net.

your spoilt for choice up north re: fishing company, try joining ryhope /seaham etc etc angling club.

ryhope area target rock, blast beach seaham harbour ,green wall all worth a session.

good luck n post when you get out.

3. basha

basha Blenny

welcome to the sea side of things.
    as navman has mentioned,your in prime fish territory.im often travelling north to seek out fish,travelling as far as arbroath scotland on the east coast.often travel to the tyne,both north and south,newbiggun,roker.blackhall,hordan etc aswell as my usual marks south of middlesbrough.if your ever in this area give me a shout,you would be more than welcome to tag along.

welcome to the sight.

4. andy appleby

andy appleby New Member

Magic many thanks navman I’ll have a look into them,
    Basha if you wouldn’t mind I’d be very grateful to tag along with you even if it’s down at your marks, I’m not to far away from brough as I live just outside Darlington

5. basha

basha Blenny

more the merrier fella welcome anytime.
    we will probabely be going after sunday,we are due some northerlys im wanting a little more sea on.
    ive been out quite a lot ov late as you will probabely read so need to get my huff n puff back god knows how many miles ive put in.

6. basha

basha Blenny

if you venture this way to fish our local marks just drive to mine and we'll double up in my motor no worries andy.can be a costly do driving from outside darlo to whitby.

7. basha

basha Blenny

now andy,what type ov gear are you using??.
    the reason i ask is so i can establish what venues your suited for,whether it be clean ground or rough ground etc.
    i will then sort out a suitable location in the hope of a few fish to get you kickstarted.
    im guessing your the patient sort,specially if your salmon fishing,dabbled in that species a lot of yrs ago.
    still a mad keen coarse angler,barbel been my main quest and winter chubbing.

8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

welcome aboard andy same as bash your more than welcome to tag with us but we are the older generation and do the easier fishing apart from trips to mog we do the likes of redcar beach saltburn pier hartlepool beach sandsend runswick and upgang

9. basha

basha Blenny

im getting old,age is 51 my body is 70.
    got legs like a boneless chickin clumsy as hell.
    get out of breath just looking at mulgrave and many more stops for a breather than i used too lol.
    and my eyes are crap,if i dnt take glasses with me im fooked.:):):D

10. andy appleby

andy appleby New Member

Alright basha, yer I’m that patient sort hell it took me nearly two years to catch me 1st proper salmon on the Tyne, I’ve got a couple Penn rampage II surf rods 15ft9 with the surf blaster II fixed spool, 20lb running line,
    Used to love trotting with a center pin for the barbel on the river wear had some crackers off in the past loved it and chub on the fly when out sea trouting they don’t half go some

11. basha

basha Blenny

ile attemp to keep you off the real rough stuff then,you need to beef up a wee bitt for the cliff tops and some of the area's i usually hit but plenty enough for the other hits anyways.ive just had a run down the south gare breakwater as a few of me mates are down there tnite,wasnt a lot doin odd pin whiting/flattie and loads of empty hooks due to crab rage lol.water as flat as a pancake,surprised to see so many rods down to be fair.im waiting for a bitt more sea to run but dnt mind going out sunday if its bitts you want.i normally dnt bother fishing often when conditions are like this,unless i can get down onto low water marks and among the kelp grounds and hard stuff.

used to fish shincliff on the weir and durham city through to kepier wood for the bules,had some really good seshions along the stretch,but im a lover of the swale,i was brought up on the river from being a nippa and know it well.last 2 yrs has seen me on the trent more regular after joining newark piscatorals,so was often on there each week.

you should try switching to braid on your fixed spools,far superior,although mono has its days.im on 60lb braid or 30lb mono strait through, but find braid is far superior,depending on the braid you choose.just an option,still plenty of guys out there who prefer mono over braid.