1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alderney Ring For Anchoring

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigfat, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bigfat

bigfat New Member

any of you lot use a Aldeney ring(for anchor retrieval)best put that in, if so what size would you use for a 7.5kg anchor and where from,
    ta andy

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Re: alderney ring

Hi you don't need a a/ring its a big buoy on a D link then you need a lazy line and what you do is throw you anchor out clip your lazy line on and wait for the anchor to bite then when you want to retrieve you pull your lazy line fasten your buoy on to the anchor rope and now power up tide in a big circal the buoy slips down towards the anchor the buoy submerges when it pops up you feal for the anchor chain to go though the D Link it sort of judders bring the boat to a stop and pull the anchor towards you UN clip the lazy line and bobs your uncle if you have got it right the buoy should be right up to the anchor and the chain hanging down the weight of chain will stop the anchor from going back down hope this helps you to practice you need to be on sand bottom saves a lot of back braking pain pulling the anchor up tight lines Alain

3. treacle

treacle New Member

good advice given there. a 40" buoy will give lift for a 6kg anchor no prob or a 50" will give upto 16kg

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not the easiest procedure to master and it can create a few problems if the crew on the boat are'nt up to speed on whats required from them and its quite easy to run back over your anchor warp with the prop

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Bryan thats Wye i always turn in a circal so you don't run over the warp no tight turns and steady away until you can uplift your anchor with no problems things to make sure of are lazy line shorter than the length of the boat so if you do drop it it can't reach the prop also the buoy must support the the anchor And chain hope this helps tight lines Alain

6. bigfat

bigfat New Member

many thanks,looks like a spare 5 gallon drum will be handy,will have to have a bit of a practice,is the lazy line a looped rope between the shackle and the buoy

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Bigfat the lazy line goes on to the bow the hauling ring were up put your winch rope onto you can have this so that it reaches into the boat but long enough to foul the prop so if you drop it is ok with a D link on your anchor rope can go trough the link or just tye it off then your buoy goes onto the anchor rope the tag end of the anchor rope i just fasten round a hand rail there should be no wheight on this at all then to retreve you just power off in a circal uptide if your still not sure give me a ring tight lines Alain 07932 394971

8. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Best not used when anchoring over hard ground though

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi i anchor over rough ground and use a different anchor to the one used over sand best to try over sand first until you've mastered it

10. bigfat

bigfat New Member

got the idea finally
    thanks Andy

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Andy if you have any problems give us a P M tight lines Alain

12. bigfat

bigfat New Member

TA mate will keep your tag,if thats OK,just starting out, was a kayaker but now had to move on medical resones,
    thanks Andy

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Andy whens your first trip out and were from i live in york and fishout of whitby hornsea and bridd i also go up to luce bay nr drummore in jockland could meet up and hopefully keep you right tight lines Alain