1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFAW 14ft 6&bait, thoughts

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Studenttom, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Im looking to get a new rock rod and currently this rod takes my fancy. Does anyone else have the rod and what are peoples thoughts. Also what do multipliers offer that fixed spools don't for shore work, i use slosh 20's out of my kayak and cant rate the reels enough for the abuse they suffer. So i wondered what i would gain by using them with my shore rod. Only thing is im scared of is on a freezing cold winters night ending up with the biggest birds nest of my life.

2. deece1981

deece1981 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Alright Tom,

I don't do a lot of winter fishing, mainly because I am pants at it, only ever managed a few Cod despite numerous attempts on decent marks but anyway, I have the 6 and bait and for me it's a nice rod. Was a little concerned with how light the tip looks (thin) but it holds up well with a "6 n bait". Seen youtube vids of guys casting 8's and it is fine with them too not that I would try it.

Managed to get a 5 1/2 pulder to the bottom of sandsend cliffs before my bro handballed it up but if you can pick one up fairly cheap I would recommend it. (I ain't no Cod fisherman mind!!!)

Dan

PS, mine is fixed spool, I don't like birdy's either and yeah even less with cold hands

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Great rod. Loved mine until tip section fell between planks on west pier and ended up in harbour. Mine was fixed spool.

4. Postie

Postie New Member

ive a 13 ft six and bait armed with a slosh 30 carnt fault it what so ever pings the lead with a big bait no problem just got myselft the AFAW 13ft 10 tournament match with a penn spinfisher to have a try with hope i can get away with it

5. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Thanks for the replies lads looks like that's what i will get. And as for fixed spools i might just stick with them and keep it simple.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished last year with a lad who had the AFAW Tournament Grand Prix. Said he had used rods by many makers, and that was the best he had found. I could tell he was not a 'holiday half-wit' angler, if you know what I mean.
    Not tried any AFAW rods myself so cannot comment beyond just putting that thought out there.

Multiplier vs FS - I prefer the weight and size of multipliers, but the best set up is almost certainly braid on a FS for our shore fishing. Something circa 50-65lb braid. Power Pro 66lb is actually about 49lb, and that is great?

Enjoy whatever you choose.

7. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Thanks for the advice i've always used FS with berkley whiplash 65lb braid and i get on with the set up just fine. Just cant help looking at the multi's and wondering what i'm missing out on.

8. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use the tourney rock (multi)down the butt of the rod I have taped a length of cricket bat grip for the multi then up the butt of rod I've put a wrap of tape to mark up for fixed spool on a sliding reel seat.I use both multi and fixed depending on where I am.no need to buy a fixed spool rod.a mate of mine uses 14th 6 n baits multi versions with just a fixed spool and loves it.well capable of rock work.I use a shimano ultegra and a penn 525 or 535 mags for rock work

9. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

cheers mate i wondered about that i wanted to get the multi version then i could give it a try and if i don't get on with the multis i could go back to fixed spool. I just read a lot online that using a fs on a multi rod can cause break offs when casting?

10. robq

robq Rockling

using a fixed spool on a mono rung rod is no problem with braid whatsoever.

In fact I rung a rod up with 50mm to 20mm with 6 rings for fixed spool and I had more ring wraps and crack offs than when it was rung for multi with 30mm to 10mm with 9 rings !!

Distances were about the same too

11. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

NOTHING.;)

12. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use slosh 20 and 30s and love them just keep tension on the spool end float and you will be fine ,some folks swear by penns but im a diawa fan .

13. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Cheers for replies, might get out on the field and practice with the multiplier and see how it feels