1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice re marks = sea state.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, May 30, 2007.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Big question but here goes, lost o lots of the knowledge regarding which marks fish best at what state of tide and what sea conditions ??

I mainly can only fish night times, and to be honest have always had better results on an evening, could do with some tips for when I should be considering which marks to fish.

Cheers in anticipation,

Dave J.

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

Which areas are you wanting to fish m8? Theres a lot of coastline to fish, Where do you want to know about?

3. Acko

Acko Rockling

Ah I just seen your other post Dave
    I fish between Hartlepool and Whitby I see your further South some lads on here will be able to help Im sure.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

yes acko, I m looking to fish the Brigg when sea suitable but want to expand to the wykes, r/hoods bay and north of whitby , I have quite a drive to some of the marks from Hull and so just wanted a few pointers as to which marks fish on what sort of sea state. Just about got my head around The brigg and scarb for sea states but lost with the rest and don't want to spend my fishing time driving up and down the coast.

5. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

if the sea is really rough and unfishable at most places then its probably perfect for port mulgrave or runswick.check out www.photorecce.co.uk for info on these marks.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Dave,

Maybe you should pick a venue and focus your attention on it until you get some confidence of how it fishes. Ill stick a few links at the bottom you may find useful. I have been thinking about marks and have come to the conclusion non are strictly low tide or strictly high tide. For example Robin hoods bay is quite a large area - possibly 3 miles across. It has several marks for high water and many more for low water. Saltwick bay I could say similar about as I could Sandsend, Goldsborough, Kettleness, Runswick and I even think Port Mulgrave fishes at low and High water. Best bet is choose 1 mark and give it your attention, keeping records of what happened when which will help you build up a larger picture.

You wont get all the answers but if you read through these you might get a pointer or 2.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-port-mulgrave.php

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/cowbar-jetty/0/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-marks-index.php

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47.0.html

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks for the help guys, more tips than I expected, having been into carping in a big way I know anglers will not give away their best secrets.....I wouldn't lol !
    However I would imagine the Brigg will get a fair amount of my attention as will Ravenscar and Port Mulgrave.
    Not intending to fish until much later in the year........starting to try and gather some crabs for the freezer.......forgot how much fun bait collecting can be !!!!
    If any of you guys see a lad usually fishing on his own cos all me fishing friends prefer sand marks to rocks, with....how shall we put this...errrrm a prominant nose ( i ve grown into it over the years lol), probably me so say hello . ;D ;D

Cheers Dave J.

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Hi Dave. You,ll find that most places between Flamborough and Ravenscar fish best on a good size tide when the sea is flat and clear for as long as the crabs are peeling. Most marks can throw fish out at any state of the tide but if you put some time in you will find some states of tide are better than others. The "natives" or red/kelp cod are usually best targeted during daylight hours as they seem to switch off in darkness but odd ones can still be caught at night.