1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice re Filey Brigg.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jul 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve fished the Brigg extensively from the shore but never afloat.
    Would like to know about the tides round the Brigg re getting round in the yak....I9 would imagine smaller tides.
    Have been told that 2 hours of the ebb to go from bay to nth side and then return on the last two hours of the flood ??

Would the nth side be the best fishing or would it be worth dropping into crab hole ?

Do I need to go out round the bell bouy or inside ?

Cheers Dave.

2. BIG rod

BIG rod New Member

Best thing to do is paddle over to Brigg side and carry yak over to gully. Then launch it again from their, it would be abit hairy going round brigg through the tide way. Wouldn't waste your time in crab hole, best time is flood tide from brigg end to black hole.

Hope that helps
    Big Rod

3. robq

robq Rockling

There is no way i would be able to carry my fully laden Yak across from the bay side across to gully wash :eek: :eek:
    I think we should be ok Dave on a small to medium tide with very little wind going round the brigg end about 80 or 100 yards or so from the end, I dont think that there is any need to go as far out as the bell bouy and I certainly wouldnt want to fish that ground from the yak !! Once round the end just paddle NW out of the tide rip back up towards high brigg, spend 3 or 4 hours there across low and then return a few hours into the flood.

Any sort wind against tide would be a BIG no no for me !!

4. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

I was fishin on brigg end recently, there was loads of tide goin across brigg end and two yakkers casually paddled passed crab hole to the end. I thought this will be entertaining watchin them goin thro tide, and bugger me if they didnt just paddle thro with no trouble or fuss what so ever...much to my dissapointment :) ;D not sayin its always that easy thou, but they kept nice n tight in 8) ;) the tide is usually worst when ebbin, so go @ slack water or flood if youre concerned about it :)

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Best time would be last of the ebb probably so you won,t be paddling against the tide then come back with the aid of the flood tide. As long as the conditions are ok or it is,nt a massive tide it should be fine. I don,t suppose the tide is much different to Flamborough apart from the rip off the end. If worst came to worst you could tuck in behind outer scar and carry everything round to the bay, a pain I know but a good option if needed.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks for all the advice chaps, just need some fine weather and calm seas, but looking at the swell forecasts there are close to hurricane weather systems blowing across from the Atlantic !!!
    Rob, I'll wait till you get back from your hols and then I reckon we should be looking to attack the Brigg .

You going to be up for some of that Ray ?

Cheers Dave.

7. cps

cps Rockling

the tighter in you go the less tide there is , if i were you and it was flat i would be almost scrapeing the bottom going round, same in bad weather the best place is tight in if your brave enough , nowadays the boat i've got is fast enough to go round past the boy if its bad [ got to be rearly bad befor i'd go that far to get round] but when i had a pebble i''ve gone round both ways with the bucket in action baling out

8. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

rob , m8 you are spot on with the advice re:- wind on tide
    for those that dont know me, i used to run a forty foot, twin screw charter boat from scarborough, and in 7 years the only time i ever had the perry buoys washed overboard (from off the wheelhouse roof!!?) was at filey brigg in the tideway!!.

the conditions on the day in question were a northerly breeze (3-4), blowing against an ebbing sping tide (2 1/2 hrs after h.w) so what i would suggest is proceed with caution! also the tide run alone across the brig makes between
    3 to 4.5+ knots!!! (springs) so if you are tempted to fish the tideway give some thought to what might happen if you snag you gear in the bottom?!
    you could also try asking some of the filey coble men for info on conditions in the tideway as they know that treacherous peice of water better than anyone.

on the plus side i used to find that when the tides were just starting to build after neaps used to deliver the best fishing h.w (04:00 am/ 16:00 pm) -e.g. L.w. at 10am.
    from 2 hrs into flood (not on too big a tide!) try drifting about half way between the bell- buoy and brig end (just where it starts to get deeper on the bay-side apx 50ft).

when the tide is ebbing strong you can often pick up fish just off the edge of the main tide run (n.w. or scarborough side) the other good mark on ebb is north (straight off) of high brig along the edge of what the coblemen call deep- dyke (appx 70 - 90ft deep)which runs parrellel with the brigg (w.n.w/ e.s.e.).

on flood try drifting about 3-400 yds off the caves
    (just north of ben storeys top/blackhole)

hope this helps lads

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

If it were me Dave I would leave the Brigg well alone - all this good advice advice from experienced lads tells me one thing - that it's an area that demands respect from a boat let alone a kayak - we all know that the wind can change quickly and it won't need a lot to make the area nasty for a kayak - the main quarry is cod that as we know can be caught from numerous marks with no rips so why run the risk - I know the main area for concern is between the bouy and brigg end and there are areas that are ok but it only takes a lack of concentration or distraction and you could well find yourself in it - if you are keen to give it a go I would advise studying the tidal flow charts - but I would be keeping a long eye on you from Gristhorpe!!

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Lol........to be honest Iain the advice from nthbay left me with mixed feelings, the Brigg has always held a lot of interest for me when shore fishing, having spent many hours on there I ve seen some fantastically flat seas where the boils off the end make you all to aware of the power of the tide rips. I would imagine that common sense and fear will prevale and I ll be venturing out of some of the other places I ve got in mind.
    I m going to use my days off on Monday Tuesday to go recce a few sites with a view to trying somewhere different than Flambro.
    I ve scaled down my kit over the past few days got a nice small tackle box instaed of the crate etc plus a small rucksack, one rod.So will be looking at where I can get in to explore some of the kelp beds at the marks nth of Scarb up to Runswick.
    I ll post some pics of possible access sites and the states of the sea when I get done.

Keep an eye on the weather though matey and if a window of opportunity appears for a quick fish anytime nextweek let me know. As I say I m off Mon/Tues, then early turn the rest of the week so finish work at 3 wed/thurs and 5pm on Fri then into weekend off, so surely the seas will drop off at some point !!

As for the Brigg........suppose will have to resort to being happy perched on high nab in a winter with me mussles and a bag of fish ....I hope...!!!

Cheers Dave

P.s. on the beaufort scale of pissed offness with the weather I m at Hurricane level !!!!

11. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

hi dave , i didn't mean to totally put you off fishing the brigg -only rather to urge caution as the area demands respect as in the wrong circumstances it is a dangerous place to take what may seem to be a small risk. to some extent i am sure you are already aware of this through drawing from your shore fishing experiences of the brigg.

some of the places you could try are the old horse rock area and casty (launch at cayton bay) as these hold a lot of good cod in relatively shallow water (plus some really good pollack fishing ) also north of scarborough is the scalby ness area and cloughton wyke

areas

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Now Cloughton Wyke has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks now, hopefully going with the camera On Monday to recce there plus a few other places to see what the access is like for getting the yak down.What looks easy on foot with a rod and rucksack is completely different to hauling the yak up and down.....unless you are of the same make up as that boy quint......he s bloody crackers the way he yomps up and down cliff paths with the yak on his shoulders....bonkers mate !!!

Cheers Dave.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Dead tides, south westerly wind and slack water/first of flood will give you no problems.Any southerly,easterly or south easterly are a big no-no especially if it,s ebbing.If you get caught out,theres plenty of places to land round the Gully Wash area,hope this helps you... Smokey

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ta smokey, more or less echoes northba otters advice, I had a natter with him the other day.The best bet rather bthan risk the tide round the end seems to be to strip tackle/kit back to absoloute essentials and then paddle the bay side land near end of the cliffs and carry the yak across the short distance to gully wash, unless we are fortunate enough to have the full combination of sw wind flat sea small tide and me having time off work....!!! more chance of winning the lottery.
    ;D ;D ;D

Cheers dave

15. cps

cps Rockling

good advice , the brig is not a rageing monster but it will bite so a bit of respect is needed