1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on spooling braid to a fixed spool reel

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigPauly, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Hi

I need to spool some braid line onto my Penn Spinfisher fixed spool reel.

The braid is Spiderwire stealth braid 44lb breaking strain - not that it should make any difference what kind of braid it is.

Could anyone please tell me if there is a correct way to do this on a fixed spool reel as I have only ever spooled braid onto a multiplier, which is straight forward.

Cheers

BP

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Exactly the same, need to put braid on first and then fill up with backing then transfer all the line to a spare reel etc. etc just as you would with a multiplier to get the correct fill levels and then make sure it goes back on the right spool the right way round

I use a pair of scarbrough reels to transfer the line over and then back on to the proper spool, bit of a right faff on but the only way to get it blob on

3. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

And make sure it is wound on as tightly as you can manage, it stop it bedding in, and also stops looser coils being dragged off the spool when you cast.

Roger

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Put braid in bucket of water and wind it on as tight as possible.

5. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Hi Guys

I was referring more to 'how do you do it to avoid line twists when casting'.

In other words which direction should you wind the line off the spool.

i.e. Full on, anticlockwise side on or clockwise side on?

Do the same principles apply to winding on braid to a fixed spool as does mono?

Cheers

BP

6. robq

robq Rockling

It doesn't make any difference with braid

Just wind it on as tight as you can an fill it to about 2mm under the lip of a fixed spool, although I do mine level and get away with wind knots with great care and tension most of the time:)

Its handy to have a spare spool to fill with your mainline and then top up with backing. Then reverse it and wind it onto the other spool the correct way round to the perfect level.

• Agree Agree x 3