1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abu Revo Bass & Soron STX40

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Caberfeidh, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Caberfeidh

Caberfeidh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Being a bit of a 'newbie' to sea fishing as well as my first post on the forum, I am short on both experience and knowledge but willing to learn.

My intention is to get a Bass lure set-up for shore fishing and I was wondering if there is any reviews on the Abu Revo Bass 8'? I have looked at YouTube but feel that I am 'still short of the mark'.

My choice of reel would be the Abu Soron STX40 and again have read some reviews and it would seem suitable for my purpose.

Has anybody had any experience with this set-up and if so, could you give some guidance in regards positives and negatives?

I live in North Yorkshire and would predominately be fishing from the rocks on the East Coast between Scarborough and Redcar.

If you feel that another rod or rod/reel would be better suited for my purpose, then please feel free to recommend.

Cheers in advance :happy:

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

not seen the rod but ive got a soron 60 which i use for kayak fishing. its a very reliable reel, lovely smooth drag. for a few extra quid have a look at the new shimano aernos 4000. these are fantastic reels.

http://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/Shimano-Aernos-4000-FA-Reel

3. andym

andym Rockling

I use the 8ft revo bass on the kayak and think it is a very nice rod indeed but I don't use it for plugging I combine it with a shimano baitrunner 4000D and use it for light bottom fishing and it handles it really well and have landed some nice close to double figure Thornbacks on it I also bought the 12-20lb class Revo rod coupled with a 6000D baitrunner and hope to test it out on a Tope so it may be a while before it gets a bend in it :whistle:

I have also been using a soron stx 40 and can't really fault that either only issue I have had with it has been the anti reverse failed on it but was sorted cheaply enough with a new bearing for very little cost and it does get some hammer/dunkings on the yak and also use the bigger soron stx 60 when on holiday for heavier plugging work and have had no issues at all and a super smooth drag.

I have also recently bought a mitchel mag pro 4000 reel as they were on offer for £40 as it has been replaced by the pro lite and was that impressed with it I ordered a 2nd while the deal was on as they should have been over £100 and are "saltwater proof" supposedly anyway time will tell

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/1199044S7RC

4. swordfish820

swordfish820 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have a look at the abu orra reels ,i have been using the orra 30 its a superb little reel matched up with a 8ft 15-40g savage gear xclnt rod its a draem and and you will get the lot for £125 ,

5. Caberfeidh

Caberfeidh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the info guys, still a bit of thinking to do.

:confused: :confused:

6. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi mate if your looking for a plugging rod and reel setup thers an ad in the classifieds, i had a quick look and seems to be all the gear you would need,

regards sam