1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABU 7000i C3 CT MAG

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wec, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Re: abu 7oooi c3 ctmag?

I was looking at one in NE Tackle at Hartlepool yesterday. Odd looking reel. Big and chunky like my old 7000. But the new reel had a smaller spool. It looked like a 6000 inside a 7000. Looks big and strong and not cheap at £139 ish. There and again i did pay £150 for my supermag extra.

2. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

the spool size is identical to the old blue 7500c3ct
    (-it even fits! :wink: -as do the cage & end plates),

-what is different is the 36% bigger
    main gears, also the one way needle bearing/anti-reverse fitted to the clutch/mainshaft also the beefed up power handle fitted as standard.

the only other significant difference from the old 7000 series is the mag braking system which seems well thought out both in construction and function.

to take cps's veiws i am surprized that he felt the example he veiwed was found to be as his comments suggest,
    -the example which i have does not appear to have the same faults at all.
    -in fact if he would like to veiw it he is most welcome as is anyone else.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Has anyone else trialled the Abu 7000 Ct yet ?

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn, only my opinion and no expert but here goes.
    The reel is chunky but feels and looks well engineered. On the inside again looks purposeful and sturdy (only time will tell on that one)
    The review by John Holden in sea dangler stated that the reel comes with 6 magnets and that experienced casters may want to remove one or two magnets. With respect....what a load of rubbish...the reel comes with three magnets but space for six. The mags are very powerful and so the reel is heavily braked straight out the box.After some excellant advice from Nthbay otter, I set about tuning the one I bought on Saturday,flush the bearings out then in went some yellow rocket fuel.Next clean the spindle and the end caps then a little yellow oil on those too.Then I removed two out of the three magnets and positioned the one remaining mag in the fourth position from the bottom of the carrier.Put it all back together loaded it with 30lb F1.ready to go.(I hoped anyway)
    Down Blea Wyke early I strapped the 7000 on and let rip with a 6oz lead and the mag set at 6 (12 settings , 12 being slowest), the reel was so smooth and no sign of fluffing.
    Next backed the setting off a cast at a time until at 1, still just sang as the lead flew.
    7oz lead next and slowly wound up the cast the reel ran really smoothly and i was left with the spool showing through what was left on....(back wind helped I think) . I m no tournament caster but this reel made my casting seem so much better than it is I'm sure.
    The cranking power, although not as good as the Penn ratio, is still good.
    I hope that the reel stays as good as the first impressions are as it is lovely to cast with.Sorry can't review what it was like to pull a fish in with it as I fished and blanked with my Penn 525 and lighter line.

Again only my opinion but after the half hour I spent casting with it I feel the money has been well spent and now need to look at how to speed it up even further (been told that moving the magnet into one of the other positions in the carrier will help).
    Great casting reel and nice to be able to slow the reel down on the beach/rock rather than just blocks and oil.The control knob is so much nicer than the slidey control as well, lets hope the next 6500 have the same. (oh no lets not as I'll have to spend some more money to satisy the tackle tart in me....not literally that is :embarrass:)

Cheers Jellyworm. :happy:

5. northbayotter

northbayotter New Member

sold out for the moment :yes: :wink:

-more on order! -feedback from all who bought one is very good
    the reel seems to be over- braked straight out of the box.......!

-but is very easy to get to go much faster! :wink: :happy:
    -and yet still retain good braking adjustability through the mag system :wink:

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Still struggling to get mine running as fast as my 7500 or 535...down to one magnest in the lowest position on the carrier.....so hope that is will free off a bit with use.......as everything else with the reel seems great....just too damn slow at the moment.Think I shall have to try the faster bearings from my 7500 in it see if that makes a difference.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

How many brake blocks are you using Dave. I still think the handles stick out too far.

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No brake blocks Ray....it doesn t come with any...just three mags that you can move about, I m down to one mag....as for the handle it seems ok well balanced...and at least you can remove the end cap without the star drag fouling it

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats a shame, so you,re down to using thin oil,s as your only option for it to run faster. The 6500,s have both and at least you have the option of knocking all of the magnets off or putting a few on if conditions dictate. I think I,ll give these ones a miss, if they run slow they,ll annoy the life out of me!

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Maybe slow is a bit wrong but just not as fast as my 7500's which are flying now......there is the outer rim part for brake blocks to rub against but the spool doesn t have the plastic and pin part for the blocks....if the gearing had been the same I would have taken a spool out of 7500 but as it's not that option out the window.
    I m running it on yellow rocket fuel at the moment.....as I say I need to try the bearings out of my 7500 to see if it is a bearing issue......the only other option is to take the last mag out and brake it just with oil ...but that defeats the object of a mag controlled reel....early days yet as I have only fished once with it and had half an hours casting....going to give it a full thrashing when we get a dry spell and I can get out just casting.
    It is smooth and I can cast a long way with it but I can t get it to run too fast , I just back the mags right off and it just behaves....does deffo run slower than I need now though.Maybe tournament rocket fuel in it next see if that speeds it up or if the bearing swap works I will order some ceramic bearings but have to say I am a little disappointed at the performance at the moment.....lets hope it runs better once bedded in.

11. cps

cps Rockling

to take cps's veiws i am surprized that he felt the example he veiwed was found to be as his comments suggest,
    -the example which i have does not appear to have the same faults at all.
    -in fact if he would like to veiw it he is most welcome as is anyone else.

just an observation john ,being in the engineering game the fault jumped straight out and bit me

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Chris, the example I have runs true...no vibration from the spool when spun quickly and put on a hard surface.The gears are very smooth with no clicks or grinds at all.Just want it to run quicker than I have it at the moment....the magnets are very powerful indeed, stll some playing about to do with the position on the mag carrier yet to see if that has any effect on the strength of mag braking.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Why can't a reel company make a reel that is fast enough for big casters on the low mag setting and slow enough on the high setting for not so experienced anglers,why can't they do it out of the box?? It seems to me like they are defeating the object by supplying them as they do,you shouldn't have to open them up and start fiddling,i had a first crack my Calcutta the other week,i opened it up and and set it on 2 blocks,which i have read to do,it ran like a 3 legged donkey,nowhere near fast enough,will have to try it on 1,then none to see if it works,if not there may be a lightly used calcutta coming up for sale....tight lines

14. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Come on Worm I thought you said the reel was the bees knees two weeks ago now it's not so - what is the verdict on this reel?

As you can see I am now in the market for a new rock reel as I've shagged my beloved 7000 pro rocket taking a tumble on the rocks and badly grazing my hand in the meantime, luckily it was as I was leaving the mark

[​IMG][/img]

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh dear Iain, looks like thats both of us suffering tackle trouble the past week !!!

Don't get me wrong the 7000 casts really well and in the right hands no doubt a lot further than I can manage....two weeks ago I said "Look what I ve got" before that I was dubious about modern Abu kit.....I still am....the 7000 goes nearly as fast as I want it but I just wish I had to slow it down which would be easy rather than trying to speed it up.

The build quality seems good the gears good.....it all comes down to whether this thing will start running quicker with a bit more tweaking.....if it does then yes cracking reel....if not then it is crap !!!....there ya go hows that for a review ???...lol

Want to buy a 7500 ??

Pleased to hear you not badly injured. Hope it's not your right hand you grazed....for you that would be catastrophic...lol :wink: :wink:

Cheers Jellyworm.

17. cps

cps Rockling

i wasent saying they were al like that , just that one had sliped through quality controle [and abu proberbly have that one fixednow as it was geting sent back]
    i'm not an abu basher i use a pair of 7700 morums for 90% of my rock work and 9000/1000 for the clifs

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Any ideas Chris as to how to speed the thing up (with your engineering background....?...I m a time served general fitter myself) , the only thing I am now left with is trying ceramic bearings, The spool is balanced, the line layed evenly with no vibrations from the line.oNLY THING LEFT IS ONE OF TWO OF THINGS....IF ITS BEARINGS EASILY SORTED....IF THE MAGS TOO POWERFULL THEN THIS IS A REEL FLOP !!

Cheers Dave...(sorry caps slipped on :embarrass:)

19. cps

cps Rockling

not had one in bits so bit a bit in the dark , can you remove some of the magnets out of the reel compleatly? how does the spool sit in the bearings at the ends like the old 7000 or is it diferent? can you scan the exploded diagram and post it on hear so we can get a look
    a good few years ago befor penn mags i used diawa procaster mags they ran slow until most of the magnets were out and a plastic bush in the end cap was swoped for a bearing then they went like stink

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Chris the bearings are fitted outboard of the spool and are exactly the same size as the 7500's in that they are in the end caps rather than as per the 6500 in the spool. The magnets when new come fitted in the central 3 of six possible apertures and are fitted with opposite polarities to each other.
    The mag carrier moves via the adjusting knob in a slightly elyptical arc which is how the mags then vary the effect they have on the spool.I have removed two of the mags and I have fitted it to the innerof the apertures.
    One thing that i have been looking at is how it spins and it appears to have a slight high spot so to speak which is where the reel stops everytime so I feel a visit back to the dealers with the reel might be coming on especially as you say the other example you viewed has been returned to Abu.The one I have should run faster that it does, a lot faster.