1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute novice with a DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by bigbadcol, May 21, 2014.

1. bigbadcol

bigbadcol Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys, I've booked myself on a shore fishing week to Iceland with the wife this year I also travel the Highlands quite a lot.
    I've been wanting to move to a DSLR for sometime and have read all sorts of reviews I settled on 3 cameras, one of which was a Nikon D5100, the twin lens kit (£449) I also looked at a Canon D1200 triple lens kit and a Sony A58 twin lens kit. All £450-£500.
    Anyway the other day I was killing time n ended up in John Lweis's here in sheffield, I've never been in this shop ever :eek: however on reaching the camera section (I wasn't intending this) they had a D5100 twin lens 35mm and 200mm for £320, I was informed that the charger was missing, so a quick look on a online auction site told me I could get on for £5. I now became interested in the camera, it comes with the 2yr warranty the whole kit n kabooble. I went away to give blood and then thought bugger it, why not, so I headed back and bought said camera, they even threw in a class 10 16Gb memory card. I personally think I've snaffled a bargain for a introductory DSLR. My 2 questions are;
    1. Have I actually had a good deal?
    2. I'd like to buy another lens for good taking wildlife pics, I've looked at the prices and they are from £400 for a 70-300 mm Nikon and a mortgage for better lol. Is this an ok introductory lens or are there others that my do the job a little cheaper?

Thanks in advance

Col

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I dont know a lot about Nikon i am a Canon man my self , but it looks like you got a cracking deal,
    if i were you i would look on E-BaY for a lens Look for a Sigma 150-500 for wild life that is what i use ,

it will cost you the same price as the 70-300 you looked at and it has a far longer reach 8)

3. bigbadcol

bigbadcol Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thank you very much, then all i need to is play play n play till i get some good pics off.

Cheers

Col