1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Week On The Cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Finally decided to get my arse in gear and get out there in search of a few of these mops that are kicking about. My season started last Tuesday with a light to moderate swell making nice conditions for Saltwick.

Upon arrival at dusk I was not surprised to find my old mates Brian Harland and Mike Vasey perched like a pair of old book ends at probably the exact same place I saw them both last..... Over a year ago.

A quick chat to the lads revealed they had a couple of fish each and they had been getting lots of bites. I watched as both pulled out quite a few fish between them, but for some strange reason there was non for me just yet.

It was a pleasant sight to see fish coming out regular. I was quite surprised at the size of them with most fish being bang on the measure at 35cm or 36cm.

Its been some years since Ive seen fish that size and as always Im quite shocked at just how small is legal size for codlings, not that that bothers me, so long as they are legal they go in my bag all the same.

A quick move put me onto some fish immediately. I had 2 fish out in double quick time. Another move found me another 3 which gave a total of 5 for the night. Not a bad start to the season really and just a general nice feeling to be out on the rocks on a cold night with an amazing clear sky.

[​IMG]

The following Thursday I decided on a few hours at Robin Hoods Bay, conditions were far from perfect but I was confident of a fish or two as this area is a haven for cod, especially in those years with a high number of mops on the loose.

I arrived in daylight and had a couple of fishless casts before I decided on another of the many gullies at Bay. The move proved to be a wise one and I managed a small mop almost instantly.

The next couple of hours were quite frustrating with bite after bite but no fish to show for it. To be honest I felt I wasnt really getting the best out of the mark as the small tide meant I couldnt get as far down the scar as I really wanted to. Non the less, the fish were active and had I not performed like a complete tw%t I may have got a few more out.

Eventually I managed another mop making a total of 2 for the night. I was hoping for better but at least it wasnt a blank.

[​IMG]

Sunday was a cracking sea from the north east, and this meant only one thing, back to Robin Hoods Bay. Mike 33 was on the phone early afternoon and keen to get out. So we arranged to meet at 7pm on the slipway.

We had planned on Boggle Hole, but the fear of early season loose weed had really put me off. We opted for landing scars, which later turned out to be quite a bad decision.

Once again bites were thick and fast but hooking them was another matter entirely. I managed a couple as the tide ebbed down to low, but with the amount of bites I had there should have been half a dozen or more fish in the bag.

As it got towards the ten oclcok mark we decided on a shift to Sewer Hole. I had wanted to fish it earlier but the number of rods already in there, and knowing it was club night had put me off.

Upon arrival we were greated by the smiling faces of Mike Vasey and of course the infamous Mr Harland. The spawney Foookers had been down since daylight, they had fished the tide down and not had any trouble with the weed, whats more they had around a dozen fish each.

A quick chat revealed that the others fishing around the mark were Dave Perett and Neil Ingliss who were fishing there club matches. Both had apparently had some better fish, with Neil getting one around the 8lb mark.

Sadly we had moved to late and there wasnt another fish to come out of there alll night. Another 2 for the pot though and once again Id avoided the dreaded blank.

[​IMG]

Monday night left perfect conditions for Goldsborough. Masses of fish were on the cards but the dream never really materialized and a full nights fishing under perfect conditions yeilded only 1 small mop for myself.

Once again we bumped into Messrs Vasey and Harland. Mike, now fishing with the long rod and braid option managed a few fish. I think his total for the night was 3 with a better fishing looking somewhere in the 6 -8lb bracket. Certainly not a PB for Mike but the smile says this lad is still a very happy angler

[​IMG]

So thats my report from my first weeks fishing. Ive felt quite ill since Monday so havent ventured back out just yet. Feeling better now though so fingers crossed for a few more seas and some better bags of fish before Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice to see you get your appetite for it back Glenn and a canny report. I was expecting more from Goldsborough on monday night but Mr Vaseys fish was a cracker. I weighed it for him.. 7lb 14oz

3. Baramundi Bob

Thats a nice fish then. I thought it would have been 6 and a half, but Mike thought it was bigger. Hope you didnt think I was being ignorant the other night. I felt that rough I wasn't very sociable. Felt like spewing all the way back home, got home shaking and aching all over. Just feeling better now really. Climb up was a bloody nightmare as well. Nettles on your head and bramble thorns in your hands.

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one bud, wait till you start getting into a few of those bigger fish, that'lle get your cod mojo swelled up :yes:

by the way glenn, was that you i saw just after midnight on your way back from the pub, just as i was coming down the bank past the mini roundabout :suspious: :suspious:

5. Baramundi Bob

No Mate not me, I aint been for a drink in Whitby for a few weeks now.

6. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice to see u with a rod in your hand again glen and enjoying the fishing,,lets hope for some nice seas,,

7. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

Looks like you had some cracking sessions there Glenn,
    lets hope the cod make there way further down the east coast for the Holderness boys..

By the way i take it those packages were cart next to the fish??
    are they the size you tie to your hooks? or is there a couple in each wrap?
    Just asking as i have never seen cart been used as bait tied to the hooks
    thanks

8. Baramundi Bob

Hi mate, they are peelers. But I sue Cart wrapped up like that. Just bind it to the hook, puncture the cling film and cast out.

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

no mate no problem , you said you were feeling a tad rough when i first spoke to you. Aye the climb up was a nightmare wasn't it, and i wasn't feeling rough! Gave my strained hamstring a good stretch :yes:

btw I estimated Mikes fish at 6lb 8oz

10. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Now Glenn did you see 2 lights on boggle hole sunday night that was me and my mate jamie richardson, you were right about the weed on boggle never seen so much weed near top of the scar layed on the sand had to wait until 8-30pm before it was weed free once we got further down the scar.
    Again plenty of bites but it was hard to connect with them just resulting in a odd fish or 2.
    The other 2 lights on the front of boggle were cps and mww.
    We could see plenty of lights down where you were.

11. Baramundi Bob

Yes mate I saw you all. I like to get first few swells out of way before I risk boggle. Awesome place but boy does it weed up at the back.

12. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

Great report and pictures glen just like old times,
    thought there would have been alot more fish but the weed was a twat,
    not often ya see master harland blank down there!

13. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Great report Glenn and well done on the fish....................

14. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good report glenn and nice pics that cod at the top in the first pic really looks like its had a good fill :yes:

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A top class report there Glenn , some lovelly fish there well done to all of you

16. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Good write up Glenn - I'm suprised not many fish the numerous cliffs at RHB over high, I have 5 places all along the bay from Billet scar to Long Hole where you can get a good line out and good lifts, the advantage been you get clear of the weed and above the swells, plus you can always find a mark with a backing wind

17. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

a good weeks fishing that i wish we still had cod like that over this side

18. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I to fish cliffs at bay a lot Quint,we will have to compare notes sometime,only problem is they can be very unprodictable.

19. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report and pics Glenn! Some nice fish in there as well.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

20. Baramundi Bob

There are a lot of cliff shots Iain, as you say anywhere you can get a line in the water you can catch fish. Main problem around bay village at high water is the weed but once your away from the village itself the weed seems to be less of a problem. Theres a few good shots just to the left of bay village behind dungeon hol etc in the trees. Been fished on and off for years but the lay of the land makes it hard to cast, needs digging flat really. Then theres about 5 or 6 shots on towards long hole, castle chambers and above hommeril. Theres even some nice ones further on above south hawsker, some looking as nice as Saltwick nab. Then you have lots of little perches all the way between bay village and Ravenscar. Most have been fished at some point but not as much as other more well known cliff fishing marks. MWW knows a few perches that way on.