1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A week at the Mull

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Supersonic, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

A mate of mine had booked this week off work, and called me up a couple of weeks back to see if I fancied a bit of fishing. I put the idea of the Mull to him and although he has only fished a couple of times before he was well upto it.

We set off monday morning, and arrived at Stranraer mid afternoon to pick up a few 'supplies'

[​IMG]

With that done we set about getting somewhere to camp. Harry had very kindly annotated a map for me and mentioned a few sites. We ended up at Clashwhannon, which I have to say is in an ideal spot - fairly central to a fair few marks, and with a deent pub on site. They were even kind enough to offer to freeze any of our catch we wanted to take back with us :yes:

We couldn't resist a quick chuck, even though it was getting a bit late now. We opted to go down Lagvag, right on the tip of the Mull next to the lighthouse. I decided to have a look around before we had a chuck

[​IMG]

Soon decided where to go and chucked out a string of feathers for some Macky. There weren't loads about but I had around 10 within 20 or 30 mins.

[​IMG]

We immediately got out the float and bottom rods and chucked them out. Unfortunately there we only very small Pollock around, Joe managed to get a couple on the float, which he was chuffed with. I got a take on the bottom rod from what I suspect was a Conger. I'd watched it nibbling the bait and pulling a little line off for 3 or 4 minutes and I'd had enough. Tightened up the drag and struck into what felt a good fish, only lasted for a few seconds though and the line want slack. The Mackerel was covered in bite marks and I think the Conger had just grabbed it and somehow avoided the hook. Should have left it longer :yes: Back to the Clash for a couple of jars and bed.

Next morning we woke to some lovely views out of the tent door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Knocked a couple of sausage butties up and we were off

[​IMG]

With the wind blowing SW we decided to head back to Lagvag as it was pretty sheltered there.

[​IMG]

Being a first timer to the Mull, I was completely unaware of the MASSIVE tide rips which race around the end. They were shocking, I can't even describe the power, it was running through like a freight train - so much so, that the now increasing swell was being stopped dead by it. I'm talking 7 foot waves about to crash just standing still. It was phenomenal. I managed a couple of Macky first cast, but when they got in the tide rip it was difficult to get them in, and my feathers were absolutely ruined as you can see.

[​IMG]

As such we had to make a move, so it was back up the cliff and back to base for a think and a bit of snap. Decided to go get a few things from town and do a spot of fishing later in the afternoon after the tide had eased. The wind was building even more and the Pollock marks on the west side were out of the question.

On our way back to the point later on, the tide had just started flooding over a very nice looking bit of ground at East Tarbut. Sandy and rocky in the middle, with shallow rocky kelp beds either side. I couldn't resist and pulled the car down to the beach to get the Bass gear out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first time Bass fishing with a lure, having caught plenty on the the beaches I've always been intigued as to how they would go on a fairly light spinning rod. I took some advice from Harry and kitted myself out with a few fancy plugs, as well as some of the Range's finest Portland Eels which he assured me were a killer. Now this is where you're not gonna believe me. 5 seconds into my first cast with the rubber Eel, I was smashed by this beauty.

[​IMG]

3lb 3oz and I was chuffed as hell. Joe completely didn't believe I had it on, and to be honest I barely did myself. Just shocking the way it hit the lure straight away. It put up a fair scrap but once I'd steered it over the sand it had nowhere to go.

We carried on for around a hour in and around the same place using the Eels, Crystal Minnows and a couple of different poppers but without any real result. Joe had one jump out after the lure at his feet, and another attempt to hit but narrowly miss. Interesting that he was using cheap 'Conrad' poppers from the Range, and my Duel Aile Magnet Slider (Yo-Zuri Mag Popper) and rubber eels were attracting absolutely zero attention :canadian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With time getting on, and with the tide now flooding well we decided to head back down where we were earlier and try for some Pollock. The tide had now settled right down but unfortunately these monsters were all we could catch :laugh: No more action on the Conger rod either :sad:

[​IMG]

We did have the privilage of watching some porpoises no more that 5 yards out swiming past, it was unreal. Anyway back to the Clash for a few jars and bed.

The next day we had a bit of a sleep in then headed out to catch some bait (and tea) The wind had really got up now, and it was even making the sea inside the bay rough. Nontheless the Macky were still there and we managed a fair few for the bait bucket, and plenty for the smoker... including this boy who decided that one daylight just wasn't enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wind had swung round Northerly now, and was making it a bit uncomfortable, so it was back to base for food and a think. We decided to fish 'the Foghorn' up next to the lighthouse. We were irritated at still being pinned around one area, but even though we'd been given plenty of help, we didn't have enough places where we could escape the wind as I'd been advised that many needed a guide first time you went. Anyway down Foghorn we went - the wrong way! Harry was in stitches when I told him it was a nightmare getting down. 'You went the left and followed the path didn't you??' The answer was 'no, we didn't see it so went to the right!'. He're a photo of 'Foggy' a couple of days later (when we were leaving and the weather was perfect) just to illustrate how hairy it is going down the wrong way!

[​IMG]

The ironic thing is that once we were down there it was a very nice, spacious, flat, safe fishing platform. Bites were slow to start with, but as the tide turned and began to flood things picked up. Once again, the fish weren't monsters....

[​IMG]

...but as the tide flooded the size of them was increasing with every cast for some reason, and we were getting sized ones now. It was a bite a chuck, and the sea was perfectly flat out of the wind. The only problem was that light was fading and we really didn't fancy climbing up in the dark. Such a shame because I can imagine there would have been a couple of good fish for us in the next hour or two I felt. Let all the fish swim free except the first one Joe caught in size which he was determined to get in the smoker! After a rough climb up, it was back to the Clash for a whisky and a few jars.

[​IMG]

Blocked up the vents on our gas BBQ, and with the help of some lava rock and smoking chips the fish was absolutely perfect. Really tasty stuff. We smoked half of the Bass actually and it was amazing. So Tasty.

[​IMG]

Onto day 4 and we decided to try a Pollock mark on the west side, which didn't really turn out too well for us. The get down was a bit awkward (yet again because we didn't know really where we were going!) and once we got down it was clear that the sea was building quite quickly.

[​IMG]

The swell soon got too much for us to fish safely, 6 or 7 foot of it, and it wasn't that easy to see the float either! So we did a runner back to the eastern side where the Northerly wind as howling through just as strongly, but there were sheltered bays to fish that we at least knew how to get to.

[​IMG]

It was a shame we had to leave that mark, it really looked spot on, and the scenery around there was fantastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went back to East Tarbut, as we knew there that it would be as sheltered as we were going to find. The tide was just starting to ebb now, so we cast out a couple of beach rods to see if we could tempt anything.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it wasn't to be, and it was difficult to chuck lures out in the wind so it was back to the tent for our first non fish meal of the week - loads of tinned stuff chucked into a pan (the emergency rations). It did calm off a little later so we went out for a bit of night bassing, with zero success. Packed in after a hour to sit back and watch the meteor shower which was an awesome sight.

Friday had long been designated as the day we were going to just relax and drink beers. We started the day with a seriously good breakfast at the cafe in Drummore village, think it was called the Mariners but I'm not 100% on that. It was more a case of what there wasn't on the plate than what there was, and with a pot of tea for £7 I highly reccomend it!

[​IMG]

Had a couple of cans afterwards, and spent a couple of hours relaxing, but with high tide approaching and the sea seeming to have calmed right off, we couldn't resist a couple of hours to catch some tea and possibly bait for the final day. I had decided it would be my last shot at Conger, while Joe was more than happy to get some more Macky in. He was soon building up a little stash and began to taunt me over his apparent 'success'

[​IMG]

I wouldn't have cared, but the previous day we'd had a bet on the way over to the Pollock spot near Portpatrick about who'd have the biggest fish of the week. Only a fiver but I still didn't want to lose :laugh: As it stood I was losing the bet on account of an 11oz Mackerel :laugh: So out went the feathers.

[​IMG]

It took me 20 mins to get a single Macky on... which promptly fell off. I then got a solid BANG 5 minutes later, and reported to Joe that I had a full string on... only for it to go slack almost immediately. My thinking was that this was no string of Mackerel, as surely they wouldn't have all got off at once?! :confused: Thought it may have been a Pollock by the way it was banging over, anyone ever had a nice Pollock on feathers?

Anyway soon after, just when I was beginning to fear a real 'friday the 13th', this little fella saved my day :laugh:

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours we had plenty of Mackerel, and the scores were tied with a fish of 12oz each :canadian: So we set off for a few jars and curry night in the Clash, which was fairly good. Ended up in a bit of a tangle but still managed to take a fiver off Joe on the pool table!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing we knew it was Saturday. Our last full day at the Mull and the final chance of getting good fish. Decided on a spot of roving Bassing up towards Terally to blast away the hangovers, with the wind having calmed right off and the sea looking perfect. It was so nice infact, that I decided (somewhat unwisely) to wear shorts and trainers.

[​IMG]

Somewhat predictably I soon found out the error of my ways when my flat ungrippy trainers slipped on a rock and my bare leg bumped into a few barnacles - as seen in the photo.

[​IMG]

The ground up there was absolutely perfect, but with the tide now mid flood we took the decision to go fish the west side for Pollock again while it was flat. Would we be rewarded??

First cast and I was into this lad - not a monster, but a 1lb 11oz it put me in pole position for the fiver :cheesy:

[​IMG]

The bites were soon coming thick and fast, nothing big but around a similar size to the first one. I did lose a much much better feeling fish while I was daydreaming looking at the scenery. It nearly ripped the rod out of my hand, by which point I was powerless to prevent it getting behind a massive boulder. I walked round the other side to try and free it but although I could still feel it banging away, I think the float or weight had got well and truly jammed somewhere. Joe was chuffed with this slightly better stamp of fish but with the bites slowing right down as the tide slackened off and time running out for us to have some food and prepare for a night Bass session with Harry, we had to go.

[​IMG]

Can't say I wasn't disappointed to be honest. The weather had been rotten all week, and had prevented us from fishing some excellent looking marks. I spoke to a fair few locals and people who venture up there fairly regularly, and all complained of how poor the fishing had been recently. They all said that something 'wasn't right'. All that I could think of was that their normal food supplies just weren't there, I mean a couple of the Pollock we caught were badly hooked so we kept them for tea.

[​IMG]

One of their bellies had absolutely nothing in it, and the other had a whole hardback crab in there. Crab's not one of the baits most people would normally use for Pollock, and it sort of showed me that their preferred food wasn't around. This could have lead to the bigger fish being off looking for it, especially with how rough the sea had been - it could have forced the baitfish into deeper waters and scattered their shoals. Just my thoughts.

Evening came and Joe got an early night while Harry and I went off Bassing. He probably made the right choice in terms of fish catching. Harry got one take on a black scallywag but unfortunately didn't connect with the fish properly and it got off the hook after a few seconds. It was certainly an amazing sight being out there on such a calm clear evening, the stars look fantastic fom that far in the middle of nowhere.

Got a couple of pics before we left on sunday morning:

The cliff at top of Lagvag

[​IMG]

Heli landing pad and lighthouse

[​IMG]

A couple of cows jousting

[​IMG]

And finally a gem of a tshirt

[​IMG]

All in all it was a fantastic week. II'm looking forward to going back during some settled weather and really having a go for those huge specimens we always see in reports from the masters of the Mull. Like harry said though we could have done much worse, and it really wasn't for lack of trying. Like anywhere you fish it's very foolish to think you can just go there first time and bag up, no matter how much evidence of fantastic catches you have seen. Next time however I think I'll have the foundations built to start getting the best from what are undoubtably some top quality marks :yes:

2. congerball

congerball Blenny

What a fantastic report, great photos. I've never tried for the Bass at East Tarbet...just goes to show! Thanks for posting a top report supersonic. Class :yes: :yes:

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done kev. :yes: bt why did you not call it 2 ugly buggers fishing :laugh: :crazy: :ugly:

well done thats a cracking report. thanks kev.
    :butt:

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow great stuff Kev total respect for you lads giving it your best shot in less than favourable conditions, and well done on the bass.. Like you said the tide rip on the Mull head has to be seen to be believed its awesome.. And sometimes its not all about the fish, its about been in stunning surroundings with good company, many a night when we had the caravan, i would just sit with a drink over looking Luce bay so peaceful with just the sound of the odd oyster catcher..happy times. :happy:

Shame the fishing wasn't up to scratch but it was the same for us, a distinct lack of bait fish this year which has had a massive effect on the fishing. Love the beer element no trips complete with out a few jars.. :wink:

Thanks for sharing the report with us and i am glad you enjoyed your trip just wish the fishing and weather had been better for you lads, and i hope to see you up there again and maybe join you fishing and for a few beers at the pub.. :cheesy:

Tightlines

Gary

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Kev cracking report and pictures im off back up there friday for a few days weeks ? but ill have a boat with me i also hope to do some shore fishing on a night never really botherd with the Bass off the shore but ill give a go this time tightlines Alain

6. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

7. baza

baza New Member

thankyou for an excellent read. well done on the bass and sorry the weather wasnt playing ball.

8. newdave

newdave Guest

well done lads, marathon post but very entertaining

9. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, well done lads sounds like you made the beast of the nlody weather and stuck at it, great report, im looking forward to bank holiday weekend wqen i go up there

10. bow1

bow1 Rockling

eccellent read ,pity bout the fishing but it aint the be all and end all!!we were up in early july and didnt get any macky,maybe ure theoty ahs something.hoping for anothre jaunt in next month if can get away from work!

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a great report along with some beautiful pictures , top marks to you ----- When the weather is poor it can be a difficult area to fish and
    as i have said before if people just turn up without a bit of information it just isnt going to happen unless they get very very lucky, i first visited
    the area 32 years ago, and theres still plenty i dont know , looking at the photos gave me some very happy memories , it really is a very beautiful place , that can give you angling second to none in the UK

12. langy

langy Rockling

Jesus that took me a while :yes: enjoyed the read though along with the pictures.
    Just a shame the fishing side was not very good. Nice report well done mate

Langy

13. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Supersonic, such a shame about the weather but a great report and photos all the same.

regards Ian

14. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

All I can say in fairness is very well done to enjoy your trip so much in adverse weather conditions. Anyone who has not been simply must go if not for the fishing the scenerry the peace and quiet and most of all the breakfasts in drummore that would keep an army going for weeks on one plate of calories :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: dont know about harry but i am still trying to work my extra belly off!!!
    Hope you left some beer for harry to drink in the clash?! :wink:

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

A very in depth report, reminds me of my dissertation, well done, yes them tides up there are quite amazing, you certainly wouldn't want to slip

16. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff kev,one of the best reports i've read on here for a good while :happy:
    I suppose it's the same when you plan any fishing trip in advance,you are in the hands of the weather gods and it looks like you fell unlucky :wink: :happy: tight lines

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice report and pics kev, and well done on the bass :yes:

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Kev..............A stunning place The Mull.............

19. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report , sounds like you had a great week despite the weather . A beautiful place all the same
    Thanks for tacking the time and effort a great read

20. tom fisher

tom fisher Blenny

That was enjoyable reading and with some nice pics too.