1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A very Very Very Sad Day For Sea Angling

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 25, 2009.

1. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This catch and release is utter nonsense and certainly not the way to solve a problem of illegal fishing, but what we are seeing here is the thin end of the wedge, as I predict that a lot more of this nonsense will start appearing throught this year as various groups of jobsworths start to encroach one one of the last bits of freedom that we have.
    "We will allhave to learn a new language and start a new religious sect that proclaims that this fishing is so important to our religious culture that we might take deep offence and become rdicalised if we are not allowed to pursue our ancient and historic rights"!!

Thats about how bloody daft it is in this country now!

Cleeclive

2. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

me thinks, they have looked at how much it would cost to enforce the laws they have now to stop ILLEGAL FISHING and have then looked at how much it would cost to stop LEGAL FISHING and found it cheaper to ban LEGAL fishing. Never mind the local economy that could well loose out on much needed income. Catch and release is fine, many clubs up here fish C & R when fishing the rivers for flr, wht, eels, especially when they have a min size limit of 20cm and catchinf fish not normally taken for the table. But to stop the angler from taking a fish home for his supper is absolutely bonkers. If they think these laws, and if they are bye laws doubt whether they could actually stop you fishing and taking a fish home, will stop the illegal fisherman (poacher) look how many salmon, sea trout are poached each year, the only ones they are stopping is the law abiding angler. Flipping ludicrous.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A couple of people have asked for their accounts to be deleted from here and the Holderness site. I have happily removed them as I dont want these people gaining any benefit from either forum. I would just like to thank the people who sent supporting PM's and also a big thankyou to the one person who sent a substantial donation towards site running costs on the back of this topic.

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

keep fighting the anglers corner glen,

5. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

I take about a dozen Pollack and a good few Mackerel each year, all obviously line caught.

If I didn't, I would have to buy from the supermarkets (which I only do as a last resort) and that would come from some pair trawler dragging the arse out of the sea bed....

I see catch and eat as a massive form of conservation.

With you 100% Glen.

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

As long as people are taking legal size fish. Thats up to them.
    I am behind glenn. Take fish if you want. Put them back if you want. Its up to your self.

7. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

well done glen we dont need people like that on the forum trying t upset everyone a no everyone is entitled 2 there opinion but that is taking it 2 the extreme there is 2 many do gooders in this country trying t spoil it for the rest ov us keep up the good work glen top bloke!!

8. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im all for c&r on UNDERSIZE fish. got a nice 2 and a half lbr last nite its now in the freezer and will have it for my tea later in the week with a big smile on my face

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I start squirming uncomfortably when I read such things as I feel such press could be manipulated and used as ammunition, to be used against us, rather than for us! There are certain parties who would have people thinking that this is the norm in the fishing world and how it represents our thoughts. I think catch and release is a great idea for matches, if possible, and educating people in releasing fish that are undersize and usless for the table anyway, and if you don,t agree with that, you dont have to fish it. From a personal view from someone who lives on the Yorkshire coast it would kill the match scene overnight.
    Looking at the big picture, why is it always the law abiding angler who has to suffer. Going back to my first sentence, I think manipulation is already working. Anglers are starting to questioning their own morals and believe they are at fault! they are way off the mark and if they think c and r will put thing right they are even further off the mark. If you don,t agree you can always put them back, just don,t include me when eventually they start contemplating blanket restrictions off the back of such posts. I often wonder if the true anglers are the ones who propose restrictions or the ones who oppose them! you decide. The bottom line is :whistle: if it goes ahead, say goodbye to another bit of your freedom and nothing has changed.

10. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Iv'e been a fisherman ever since i was old enough to hold a rod,sea fishing about 40 yrs on and off,not once in all those year's have i doubted the the integrity of anglers without the dediication the love of the sport our rivers and canals would still be some of the most polluted in europe,remember all rivers run to the sea!so without realising it they have also contributed,these people refused to take it lying down they didn't go round trying to blame ather anglers,they lobbyed the right people,the point i'm trying to make is to these so called envioromentalists, take your case to higher authuority and leave your fellow anglers alone to enjoy the sport which they love,that way you might get the recognition that you seem to be seeking on fishing forums so take your soapboxes to the dock side and have a go at the real culprits, if youv'e got the bottle which i very much doubt!!

11. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If catch and release ever becomes accepted and becomes law I will be giving my gear away and I'm sure a lot of other anglers would do the same; bang goes the tackle sale industry in this country if that ever happens

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Anglers do no damage to cod stocks of this coast or any coast round the uk the c+r brigade just dont have a clue as what impact anglers have in real terms clueless is the word.

paul.

13. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Catch and release to me is the domain of the fresh water lads, and good luck to them. I don't know why anglers like Stephen don't just go and fish a stocked pond or river bank and avoid conflict with us sea fishermen.

Things have changed and are changing constantly though. I cringe when I see pictures of heaps of bloodied dead fish caught by rod & line anglers. By all means keep takeable sized fish, but I think posting such pictures gives ammunition to the anti blood sports.

Alan

14. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I've no problem with Stephen's attitude at all. As long as he doesn't mind me taking the fish he released, we'll never argue. Simple.

15. Baramundi Bob

Think you missed his point Biscuit lad. He doesn't want you to take any fish either, or me for that matter which is why I told him where to stick his fish.

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I know mate, and you know I'm with you on this all the way!

Tight lines (and full bags of fish) for 2010. Hope to get out some time together next year, catching bass for the plate?!

17. Baramundi Bob

One to watch for the new year. Will people who believe that catch and release is the way forward be leading by example and setting a new years resolution not to fish in matches (Kayak, shore and boat) that involve retaining fish to claim a prize. It will be interesting to watch the presentations at this years events, will those faces be absent or will they be queuing up as normal to claim their prizes.

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

its a shame there wasnt a list for the persistent non posters and voters to kick them into touch also , if they cant make one remark a month
    ---- nice fish , well done whoever, i think they deserve there marching orders I M O

19. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Surely its personal choice as long as the fish is legally caught.
    My stance is if I want to take the fish for whatever reason I choose then I will but if I want to release the fish and I am sure it will make a full recovery then I also will.
    Slightly off subject but cant help wondering how many people would release a salmon or seatrout if they were lucky enough to accidentally catch one in the sea.

20. Baramundi Bob

If some people have their way it will no longer be a personal choice.

Has anyone any comment on the match situation ?? will people be boycotting the matches on principle or will there be a few hypocrites about ??