1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A very Very Very Sad Day For Sea Angling

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I'm not a catch and release fanatic, I keep several fish most years.

Though is what they're doing such a bad thing?. I reckon catch and release in and around estuaries is probably a good thing. We all despise the multitude of gill nets that we see scattered around these locations. IF common sense is used with regards to implementing these measures I personally don't have a problem with it. Surely it has to be a good move for angling ?

3. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

C&R is getting more and more common now especially salmon fishing where I personally think it will soon be compulsary on all rivers within the next few years the way things are going.I wont be paying for a licence if it dose happen I like to take one for the pot

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

What a load of sh @t that is glenn, If you want to take a fish home you should be allowed, not stopped because some people like to C + R everything they get

5. Baramundi Bob

Catch and release or keeping fish is a personal preference and has no impact on fish stocks whatsoever. As for using it to stop illegal fishing, its nonsense, there is already laws to stop "Illegal fishing" hence the word "ILLEGAL" . I fear this will slowly creep right through sea angling and before you know it possibly bans as well. Man has had a right to fish with a rod and line since time began and never harmed his environment in all that time. They are barking up the wrong tree. What a bunch of W@ankers.

6. stephen

stephen Guest

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Think you need a reality check mate.

Keeping the odd fish for the pan has ZERO effect on fish stocks. Think about discards from trawlers. I bet each boat discards nearly as many fish every trip out as we all catch in total every year

8. Baramundi Bob

Its the sea angler that needs protecting but with ar$eholes like you around it will take some doing.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Having seen the way freshwater has been restricted as a form of hunting we are without doubt in an era of change ,some changes are inevitable whether we like it or not.........I will never support the restrictions as I enjoy the freedom to hunt with a rod and line and to wander freely around our shores doing so and hope it can continue.

I must say though that the last post Glenn is a little strong.......I am passionate about my angling as you are....but forum rule number 1 ...come on lad it is Christmas....I know your feelings on the restrictions and I am with you on us not having them but a bit out of character to post like that ?

Stephen......did you intend your post to be provocative.........as a member of the forum you must be aware of the forum stnce on catch and release issues ?......if you wanted a reaction I think it is fair to say you got one !

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Not sure on this one, dont feel knowledgable enough to really comment. Your right Dave definately a time of change, for better or worse I dont know, I do kinda get a feel for both sides though. We are now getting restrictions from no take zones and now this, thin end of the wedge. But then you look at the Yanks with their bass fishing - i certainly wouldn't mind a piece of that.....i really dont know how I feel about all this......

I personally know Stephen and know he's a damn good and respected angler from north of the border. He has strong feelings about C&R and I'm not getting into an arguement about that as he's bigger than me :cheesy: We also know Glenn fights the corner for anglers to be able to take fish if and when they want to.. Opinions both guys are more than entitled to have, but I dont think we would ever get them to agree. :happy:

11. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think you should get a grip how can u call your self a (proud north sea fisherman)every man and women has the right to take there fish if u pay or not nobody should stop us

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

now now, season of goodwill and all that :cheesy:

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

It would take more than the law to stop me fishing. But i think its up to each angler to take or return what fish they want, if there just taking them home and then showing mates ect and just getting rid of the fish is wrong but if there eating there catch. I hope they enjoy them.
    Oh merry xmas

14. Big Prowler

Big Prowler No catch & return ere Guv !!

Well I'm new to kayak fishing but not sea fishing parsay !
    Where do you begin on this one ??? Yes conservation of fish stocks has to be a good thing but a few geezers out in kayaks are hardly going to pose a threat to Birds Eye !

Even if you multiplied every fish caught by hobby fisherman for a whole year, it probably wouldn't amount to what a trawler catches in a day and what a European mega trawler (that's accidentally strayed in our waters !?!?!?) would catch in half a day.

In my opinion you have to balance some vital things here.

Do we needlessly clamp down to a point were no one can fish at all or do we accept that hobby fisherman catching a few for the pot ain't going to harm our precious fish stocks.

If I get to fish 5 times a year, then I'm doing well, and if I catch 3 fish per trip then I've bought home a staggering 15 fish for a whole year. See how ridiculous this now sounds, and most being mackerel !

I'm a big believer in "KILL IT & GRILL IT", a Ted Nugent saying.

I only take what me and my family can and will eat so if we can't eat it then I won't take it. PERIOD !

I have to go now to piss myself laughing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Andy

15. render

render New Member

Part of me wants to get involved to try and stop these ridiculous laws being passed and if i had the time i probably would, hardly any time to fish at present! It will be an even sadder day if something like this becomes nationwide and it will create a lot of law breakers.
    I agree with the majority of comments posted up to now with one obvious exception, Stephen doesnt sound like much of a Proud north sea angler to me, I think baramundi Bob was justified with his response, id have brought down the Ban Hammer instead though, it was a well thought out troll response by stephen and it did the job well. People like stephen do us real proud north sea anglers no favours, they should take up knitting and leave the fishing to the real men.

16. bassman

bassman Administrator

Stephen

Get real its fools like you that only adds fuel to the already smoldering fire

17. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE THOUSANDS OF TONS OF COD QUOTA CAUGHT BY THE COMMERCIAL SECTOR EACH YEAR I DONT THINK YOU QUITE LIVE UP THE WORD IDIOT.

PAUL.

18. Maxie

Maxie New Member

As a member of the turkey liberation army can i just say ive just released a turkey that was destined for the table,it was a painful moment,as i released it back into the system...................................................yes the sewerage system :evil: :laugh: :laugh:
    Seriously though ive ate a bit of fish this year most caught by myself mackerel,cod,plaice,dab,gurnard,haddock,pollack,bass and enjoyed the lot of it and why the hell shouldnt i.
    As for the yanks having it so good,im sure i seen on deadliest catch lobstermen the draggers as they call them over there dumping a heap of prime fish dead,the skipper was slagging the quota system and who could blame him.

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

These people live in cloud cuckoo land,kids having to have a permit to fish in an estuary or harbour,they should look at the root of the problem ,total overfishing on a commercial scale,as Kev siad if you add up all the fish caught by rod and line anglers,(some of wich are released by choice)in the whole country for a year,multiply it by ten ,you would still not fill the hold of a ocean going trawler,

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Probably the same people slapping another 10 years on the migratory fish C&R that are slapping the same law on sea fishing.
    I do wonder if these people at the E/A know anything about fishing themselves,or do they become involved in angling from 9 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon and then shut the door and forget about it happy that they have still got a job.
    The slaughter on the Tees is typical of the E/A and Britishwaterways wearing blinkers and not listening to the publics thoughts.
    More people have got to tell the people in power that they are wrong and they are wasteing money and fish ,while saveing their own jobs. :sick:pB