1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A spot of Cod fishing...

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Oct 31, 2011.

1. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, spot on report gary with some great pic,s well done to you all. i cant wait till next summer to get back up ther

2. woody

woody New Member

cracking report gary , has just made me look forward to it all again , quality mate !!!

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Dont you fancy a winter trip Dale?? If you ever fancy a trip up during winter we will sort something out matey.

4. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, sorry mate i would love to go up in the winter but have no hols left at work, i used all my days in the summer

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

great read as allways gaz, a bit too far away for my liking though, i'll stick to catching pigletts round here :yes:

or loosing them :wounded: redcar open yesterday :hurt: :hurt:

6. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Another cracking report from up north, very well done
    Was planning on another trip up that way as the summer visit was a big eye opener for myself and mark. :yes:

7. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Belting report Gary, looks like you had some quality fishing..................

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb report Gary,well done to you all on coming up with the goods yet again.

Quality angling by top notch anglers :educated: :educated:

Total respect Alan keeping up with the young un's yet again :cool:

9. robq

robq Rockling

Superb report and pics :cool:

I am very jealous !!

Its a shame we cant have sport like that down here :whatever:

10. mike33

mike33 New Member

Cracking Report Gary...........some great fishing up there wouldn't mind giving that a go...........Mike

11. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

once again, some lovely fish coming out, looks like you had a unstoppable time, pulling in plenty of fish i dont know how you guys do it. i am well looking forward to next week with some of my dads mates, hopefully the fish will be still there. shame about the lost fish, i'm sure it will still be there for me :canadian:

lee

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some nice codfish there gaz . Nice report aswell...hope there is a few of them turn up this season ...

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

If anybody goes up to Arbroath and the sea is really heavy putting the tin hat on several venues , Ferryden is a place where you can
    always fish , to get there take the road up to Montrose , turn right at the roundabout just before the road crosses the river , you can
    park just past the last factory units , theres rock edges and beaches leading up to the Lighthouse , some of the ground is very heavy
    other places its sandy , theres also a narrow road leading up to the lighthouse , as I said its a place that gets you fishing and on its
    day can produce decent fishing , if you arent getting fish at one mark dont be afraid to move about a bit , we fished about 200 yards
    before the Lighthouse , but I have a feeling we should have moved a bit down the river towards Montrose as the bites stopped

14. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report as always Gary! Sorry I could not meet up this time. You guys certainly have a nack of pulling in the fish. I'm absolutely sure you often do better than many of the locals - well, at least me! :cry: :whatever: I will keep in mind the tip about the mackerel cocktail. I'm over in France just now for work, no don't be jealous, I'm on the Mediterranean coast (Montpellier) but it is 22 degrees and raining cats and dogs. After your report, I'm looking forward to getting back to good old Scotland and dusting off my cod gear. Hope you have time for another trip up North over the winter.

All the best,
    David

15. bow1

bow1 Rockling

what atrip and as always an excellent report,well done lads.
    ive got two weeks holidays coming up,and bar moving house gonna hammer the fishing,including a trip north of border if conditions are good.ill probs be on my own so if anyone fancies tagging along ive got a space free in car.

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

EXCELLENT STUFF Garry. I think it may be time for a Whitby Bass Club outing. How does this area fish during the later season, like Feb and MArch ?

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As long as conditions are right you could get a good catch right through the Winter , when it was like the Dead Sea here last winter
    it was fishing its socks up there , Glenn

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Glenn I am certain you would love fishing the coastline from Arbroath to Stonehaven and you and the Whitby Bass Club would certainly do the business that's for sure. Its mile after mile of great fishing ground. The weather has put me off going up late season as that coastline does get plenty of snow when the winds come from the east, which is a most favourable direction, but maybe getting snowed in with great cod fishing on your doorstep wouldn't be so much of a problem.
    I do think you can catch all year round but I would say the later you leave you would be relying more on ideal conditions. The coastline faces S/E so any wind from a Southerly through to a N/E will put on a sea and colour.

I certainly think if you catch it right in Feb - March it could produce some big fish.

19. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Gary,
    Another great post, I realy enjoy them :yes: Well done to you Alan and Darren. What makes these posts so special is the amount of quality info and help that you provide to anyone that asks, it realy is fantastic stuff.
    I love that very first photo.......just sums it all up for me.

Regards Ian

20. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cheers Ian, You know as much as anyone just what great fishing venues it has on offer and what exceptional fishing it can produce under the right conditions.. I would say Northumberland has the edge on scenery but Arbroath just edges it on the fishing front..