1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A spot of Cod fishing...

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Oct 31, 2011.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

[​IMG]

Just back from a short trip up north of the border. Me, Darren and Alan decided to go hunt some Tartan Cod.

We arrived at the Harbour at Johnshaven after a 5 hour journey by this time we were up to our knees in cod guts as we swapped fishing stories and talked about what possibilities may lie ahead of us. We were met by a huge sea, in fact huge was an understatement it was massive swamping the harbour walls and chucking weed and rocks up onto the road.. froth was covering the harbour road and blowing around like an Ibiza foam party... :laugh: There is something fascinating about watching a sea at its most angry with so much power, crashing in to the harbour and sending spray high into the air.

We worried that all the rock marks would be ruled out as we had never fished with such a savage sea and didnt want to take any chances so once we got settled and had some food (Thanks to Darrens mam, who makes the most lovely pie's).. We talked about possible venues but couldn't come up with much so we opted to try the shelter of Ferryden near Montrose..

Fishing was slow and we never had a bite for the first hour or so as the tide started to flood came the first bites. I had a decent bite and missed it then went on to lose 2 fish in the next two casts, it certainly wasn't my night. Darren soon came across and showed me how it should be done landing a codling of around 2-3lb and then landing another around the same size. It was getting late and had been a long day so decided to head back to base for a nice cup of tea..

Once the sea dropped a little we managed to get to our usual spots and true to form the fish showed up..

Darren pulled this out from the shelter of the harbour as the outer walls were being swamped by the huge sea..

[​IMG]

Alan with a typical codling.

[​IMG]

After dark we headed to the rock marks and we were soon all in to fish with bites coming thick and fast. Alan hooked into a real good fish but as we got it to the side of the rocks the swell grabbed it and tore off with it snapping his braid against the rocks.. Very next cast he hooked another decent fish but not in the same league as the last one and this time we mangaed to judge the swell and lift it on to the rocks a fine fish of 7lb. The fishing was good with a good stamp of fish coming in, but the better fish seemed to be falling to cocktail baits with mostly mackerel on the hook.

Alan with a pair of nice cod..

[​IMG]

Me with nice fish of 6lb 6oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a good session with us all getting plenty of bites and fish.

[​IMG]

Alan wanted to try one of his favourite marks at Elephant rock and when we arrived the sea was perfect..

we were catching codling to around 4lb the Darren hooked in to a very good fish, his Greys Triplex was nodding down with powerful lunges and and the fish was staying very deep, I scrambled down the rock side but the swells were dangerous so couldn't get to the edge and lovely Cod came to the surface at a guess I would of said it was getting on for double figures, but I just couldn't reach it I tried lifting it, the swell lifted it upon to a ledge but as I took the weight the hook snood parted.. Sorry Darren (I didnt shake it off honest) :embarrass:

Darren quickly re-baits and is back in the water and his rod is soon banging away again. He strikes and and says this fish is not coming in as he is having a tug of war with whatever monster was on the end of the line, The rod was bent right over and kicking and bucking this was a serious fish. I had visions of a 20lb + cod coming to the surface but instead up popped a big black Conger eel, he did very well to get it to the side but as we tried to lift it this time it bit through the snood and slivered its way back down to the depths... :cry:

We managed a few more fish then decided on another venue were I managed another 3 to around 4lb, before calling it a night much to the delight of Alan who was ready for a rest... :sleepy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well before to long it was time to head back home. There is something about North/East Scotland that just keeps dragging me back time after time, I love the abundance of fishing marks and the ruggedness and wildness of the place plus the fish always seem to put in an appearance.. Hope its not to long before I'm back up in Cod's Country again..

Thanks for reading.

Gary

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report again Gary, looks like you all got plenty of action. Shame about loding the real biggies though

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Once again a fantastic report. Unlucky on losing the bigger fish but what a fantastic session you all had. Thanks for sharing.

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice few fish there lads shame about the bigguns tho

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a quality report Gary a really good read and cracking pics and fish , as Gary said the :: sea really was massive ive not seen anything
    like it in the 15 years I have been going up there , Ferryden was the only place I could come up with to try and get away from the tempest it was like George Clooneys perfect storm :yes: :yes: , so to a large extent it was going where you were
    allowed to go , putting that piece of mackerel into the cocktail bait really fired the fish up and as GJW said it took the better
    fish , all to soon it was time to come home , we had some really good laughs and banter , what price do you put on that ?
    hopefully we will get up there in the winter when the really big lads are about , many thanks to both Darren and Gary for
    a memorable few days

6. newbury1

newbury1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done Gary and team, canny report aswell!!! very nice stamp of fish shame you lost a few double though... after Xmas will be interesting with with average size of the fish now....

7. foo

Alan just out of interest just what size do the "really big lads" get to and what is the best time for them please ? I ask because my fishing trips are very selective around my leave periods these days and it is often difficult trying to get some quality fishing in whilst at home and experiencing weather like we are at the moment so I would like to broaden my horizons a bit more, cheers.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As long as conditions are RIGHT both Jan / Feb even into March should put you into pole position for a biggy , but the thing is as it gets
    later into the season it becomes more important having the right conditions , colour in the water on a dying sea , for me big fish dont like
    getting bashed about in the big seas even locally you will usually get the biggy when its dropped off quite alot , ive seen big fish hooked
    when there hasnt been much more than a bit of a lob on

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Absolutely cracking report and picture there Gary and some nice fish as well.
    well done to you all on what sounds like a very enjoyable trip up north.

Tightlines Chris

10. foo

Amen to that brother, the biggest fish I have ever seen landed on the jetty was on a relatively flat sea after a blow up fishing the back wall. Just over 14lb I beleive it went. Thanks for the info Alan, As it happens I will be home mid Feb for 5 weeks so just might be picking yours and Garys brains nearer the time.

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

Big fish can be caught at any month up on that coast as deep water and rough ground is close by. A couple of lads fishing with us in June a few years back now, in flat calm and sunny conditions both had fish of 14lb another lad with us had one 10lb and I've had one 12lb.. For the amount of time we have fished it we have only really scratched the surface.. I often wonder how good it would be to spend the winter season up there. I certainly think you would have a fair few fish and some big ones.. What I would say is if you can get a long handle gaff take it.. Its better to get the fish than lose it with trace and lead attached. As most marks require a lift up on to the rocks a gaff would be very handy if that big one came along.

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done to all of you. Fantastic report and pictures to go with it :yes:

13. dad

dad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report, reminds me of the good old days at Balcary and flat rock. (distance memory).

14. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

dream fishing trip for me that all i can catch is damn bass :laugh:

15. slug

slug Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report and pictures i really enjoyed reading that :yes:

16. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

yet another great report and excellent pictures... well done
    Paul

17. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

Great report, cracking photos .......

18. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what a sheer class report with some amazing pictures
    absolutely spot on that lads just hope the conditions are spot on in january when i'm up there with marty

19. rupert

rupert Blenny

You guys make that Scottish cod fishing look so easy.

You've obviously put some time into sussing the place, and how best to target those marks.

A really good read, thanks.

20. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A cracking report Gary you lads always come up with the goods
    Mackerel mmmmmmm :educated: