1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sight for sore eyes - Large Scale Commercial Cod & Halibut Fishing Greenland

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My mate Greg is currently working on a large offshore trawler. From what I can gather the boat catches, processes and freezes all the fish onboard. From speaking to Greg they are often away from home for months at a time and they have to fill the fish hold before they return home.

The fish room Im told is the size of the ballroom in the Metropole hotel. Now thats some fish room. Here are a few of his snaps. Im sure youll agree, its a sight for sore eyes. The lads are currently working off Greenland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg says they have already boated their cod quota and now need a few hundred tons of Greenland Halibut before they return home in late August.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Re: A sight for sore eyes.

O - M - G :surprise:

Presumably they'll be "discarding" any more cod they catch then :sad:

3. jethro

jethro New Member

I know they've got to earn a living, but it does'nt seem right catching that much fish for some reason :no:

Jethro

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Yes lads so please don't take that bass you caught, save the planet and all that, wow look at that nice young fox, oh a lovely seal how refreshing, blah blah blah......

5. Baramundi Bob

I once asked Greg what he thought about proposals to regulate sea angling and introduce bag limits. His reply - "Clutching at straws".

6. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

a few good lads wages massive profits for the owners its outrageous ,look at it again & thats only 1 boat ,doing terrible damage to the fish stocks ,remember the mackeral boats getting 500 tonnes a haul , :sad: :sad: :sad: & they lecture us on catch & release , :educated:

7. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cant help thinking this is not fishing but rapeing the sea ,no wonder stocks are low as there will be more boats like this and bigger plundering the stocks.
    i dont blame the fishermen ,there out there to put bread on the table but someone sat warm and dry on land will be rubbing his hands with glee at another massive payday .
    greed wins again.
    frank.

8. littlecod

littlecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

quints on the rite wavelenght.
    they have to do this to make a living.
    in life sh*t happens. its the depth that varies.
    these blokes dont criticise your careers.

9. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Earlier in the year I was looking at the posts about charter catches, doing a few rudimentary calcs and beginning to think that maybe we go at it a bit too much.

And now? Well, how foolish can you feel?

Catch and release? Oh, and don't forget everyone - re-using your plastic carriers will save the planet...

Thanks for this post. I needed to see it.

Steve.

10. Baramundi Bob

What do you think of the halibut ? they stand about 6 foot tall.

11. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Halibut? I thought they were Otter Boards...

12. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Absolutley nothing wrong at all about that catch

Look at the size of the mesh in the cod end and at the size of the fish in the bag

All those fish have been legally caught from a highly regulated and sustainable fishery capable of replenishing lost stock from a well established breeding stock carefully managed by a government that understands fishing and fishery related law and stock controls and makes sure vessels fishing in its waters are policed and heavily managed to maintain a balanced sea

What's wrong with that?, what would we give to have a situation like that and why should we criticise those who are prepared to operate not just within the law but also within the spirit of the law

13. Baramundi Bob

Is Greenland in the cfp Brian ? I thought it was run by Denmark

14. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Greenland is outside of the CFP and regulates fishing up to 200 miles from shore (think that's right) and sets its own fisheries policies indipendant from denmark

15. Baramundi Bob

Interesting stuff Brian

16. Howard

Howard Blenny

Never mind at least the cockles are safe for now. The french trawlers are free to do pretty much as they please off our coast. If our fisheries management was fit for purpose there is no reason why our lads should not be enjoying that quality fishing is there?

17. Baramundi Bob

You have a point about the cockle Howard. We can sleep well at night now.

18. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

yup it still makes me ill looking at all them coddies in that massive netm thats why i never posted the first time , cos i was on the bog :vomit:

19. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Me too, but millions of people want to eat fish at a reasonable price. So it will go on till it's not viable/profitable.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats it like ...