1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sib Question regarding Size ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Hi Guys, I recently bought a Sib, trailer the whole shebang. However its much too heavy to launch on my own.

Are there smaller ribs, capable of good speed thatI could launch on my own ?? Where is a good place to find more info ?

2. robq

robq Rockling

I found this a great site to research about SIBs and all things related Glenn

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/

I have found that a 3.2 meter SIB with a 37kg (9.8 hp ) motor to be about the limit for sole launching. I can just about drag that up a fair beach incline single handed when fully loaded, easier if i can drive onto the beach and put a strap around my towbar to the pull handle on the front of the boat :)

I know someone who went bigger last year 3.8m with 15hp and it was just too much for him to manage on his own

the larger diameter launch wheels help a lot too especially on sand

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glenn Kilpatrick

This is where we may be going wrong. Even with 2 of us we are struggling to pull up the beach. Where can we get better launch wheels from. Ill have a look at that site as well. I would really love something i can launch on my own. More for purposes of photography than fishing. But If im out there Im sure Ill take a rod with me.

4. robq

robq Rockling

inflatable rib launch wheels | eBay

These are the wheels I have had for the last 3 years and they deal with sand and stones much better than the smaller wheels.

The curve puts the wheels under the boat too making the balance much better too

5. robq

robq Rockling

I would love to have gone a bit bigger on my boat and engine but it really does tip it over the limit for self solo launching , which is what the sib is about for me:)

Ive been out in some nadty conditions around flambro when the forecast has changed and I've never felt unsafe in mine:)

It will still do 18mph in reasonable conditions too:)

6. ianc

ianc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

7. robq

robq Rockling

I would love an f rib but just can't justify 2 and a half grand when my current boat does almost everything I need:)

Gurnard really is a great contributer to that forum though:) the quality of his posts and pictures of his adventures are awesome

• Like Like x 1
  8. Glenn Kilpatrick

Thanks Rob. I believe the one we bought was an excellent deal. I think there was about #5 grands worth in total and my mate went to London to collect it. We got it off him for a Grand.

But we simply arent using it and I need something I can get in the water on my own so I can just go when I want to. I feel a lot of missed opportunities this year. There have been whales within a mile etc which i would have loved to get out and see.

9. robq

robq Rockling

Sounds like you could sell it on without losing any money Glenn an buy something smaller and better suited for solo launching

Last year I launched from scarbro and ended up 4 miles off whitby highlights on a wreck so it shows how capable a small outfit is on a decent forecast:)

10. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

The F-rib is in a different class again to a SIB.
    I can launch the 360 by myself, it's easier with 2 people, but it also depends where you are launching from. The best wheels, if you have deep pockets, are the Beachmasters from New Zealand Beachmaster Boat Launching Wheels
    A tip for pulling the boat up the beach is to put as much as you can in the stern, or carry some of the heavier gear seperately.

Philpot is selling up, F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Frib330 /15hp package if he hasn't sold it, he might do a deal for just the boat, it's a 330. He's on Ribnet as well.

He's been all over in that little 275, rather him than me.:)

[​IMG]

He can't half tell a story as well.:D:D

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

I fancy a frib 275 myself actually. I have a 3.2 meter sib and a 6hp yammy which I find easy to launch by myself but I'm thinking of going to a 9.9. Motor. 3d do a sib at 2.9 meters and weighs half the weight of most other sibs at about 17kgs. The lightest 320 with an inflatable keel is the Sunsport Air rib at 30kgs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Davo, if you fancy a runout in the F-rib to give it a try, give us a call.:D

13. Glenn Kilpatrick

I wish I knew what all that meant ?? What sort of price are we looking at ??

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

I have one of these Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Sunsport ARIB 320

It weighs 30kg which is about the lightest you are going to get with an inflatable keel and air floor. Its 3.2 meters long. Most sibs with an air floor weigh between 35 and 40 kg, so the Sunsport is light considering. If you arnt bothered about a sib with an inflatable keel and a flat bottomed sib will suffice then they will be lighter but shorter boats. usually between 2.0 to 2.9 meters. Look up 3D inflatables. They do a 2.9 which weighs only 17kg and probably ideal for what you want and should go well with a 6hp outboard. Regarding outboards, 2 strokes are lighter, for instance a 9.9hp weighs the same as a 5 and 6hp 4 stroke. Also take note that a 4 stroke 5hp outboard weighs the same as a 6, so you might as well get a 6. Always check the maximum motor weight and hp of any sib before you buy. The smaller sibs usually have a maximum hp of 2.5-6hp. If you are going out in chewy seas regularly, you might need a 10ish hp motor, but the bigger the motor the more weight. Unless, of course you go for a second hand 2 stroke. You cant buy new 2 strokes for leisure use. Back to sibs. You get a choice of flat air floor and v air floors, also wood and alloy floors, but they are a lot heavier. Most v air floors have an extended floor like my sunsport which give better performance apparently, but they have twin tabs at the back of the transom, so you will be limited to what launch wheels you need. They also hinder putting a fish finder on the transom. If you buy a sib with trim tabs, the wheels to buy are honwave ones and they are expensive. Don't buy copies. If I was you id buy a sib with a flat air floor.

Thanks zetland (or is this Steve by any chance)? I deffo give you a shout when I get back from my hols.