1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A short trip to the COD MECCA............

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mark Gelder, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Well with the summer cod fishing not exactly flying on all cylinders on our coast I decided on a trip to the cod mecca of Arbroath with deadlyfish rich, just waited for the right conditions, they arrived this week. Met at Deadly’s around 3.15 on Wednesday morning, after filling the van and sinking a quick cuppa we were away for 3.50, 4hrs and 40 mins later we were in Arbroath, a journey of ‘white knuckle’ like proportions.
    We decided to fish Ethie mains the 1st day, the weather was glorious, unbroken sunshine, we headed to our 1st mark, ‘the 5 yard shot’. We were joined by 2 very unwelcome guests, 2 seals were swimming around right infront of us, needless tp say the fishing was pants with not 1 bite on either rod. Just before HW we headed back up the cliff to our next mark, a spot of cliff fishing. The weather was now beginning to change and no sooner had we cast in than the heavens opened, it rained heavily for over an hour, during this time Deadly managed 2 mops. As soon as the rain eased the sun came out again and temperatures once again climbed, deadly was absolutely soaked through to the skin, he set about doing a ‘Robson Green’, stripping down to his boxers…..

[​IMG]

Using the fence behind as a washing line…….

[​IMG]

The score was 2-0 already, and didn’t I know it, I then managed to miss 2 penalty kicks, as 2 rod wrenching bites came to nothing, undeterred I cast back into the same area, this time I managed to hook up with a nice red 3.5lber…………..

[​IMG]

I cast straight back out and almost strainght away hooked a better fish, this turned out to be my biggest of the trip weighing 4lb4oz…………

[​IMG]

The bites then tailed off so we moved to our next mark, Ethie haven. Once fishing I was into a fish almost straight away, this one weighing a smidgen above 4……

[​IMG]

after a few missed bites we moved onto the small island infront of us. 1st cast and Deadly landed his 1st ever wrasse, looked about 2lb………

[​IMG]

I then had a few chucks of the side of the island along the kelp fringes and landed 3 more mops to 3lb. We were knackerd at this point so decided on a walk back and a chinky……score after day 1 Gelder 6 – Deadly 2.

Day 2 we decided to fish Rumness, started off on the rocks to the right of the pebbly beach, I was using fresh peeler and defrosted cart which I bound on with cellophane wrapped around it, it looked like a tennis ball, it did the trick as 2nd cast I landed a nice fresh fish which looked around 3.5-4lb……

[​IMG]

Deadly then got a fantastic bite, it was the sort that just pulls the rod tip over and keeps going, had he not been stood beside his rod it was going for a swim. Being the highly skilled angler he is he managed to miss the bite and feed the fish…. :cheesy: :cheesy: the bites then became fiicky and as we had decided to head home after HW I was desparate to have a go off the ‘submarine rock’ to see if we could pick up some tide fish. No sooner had we cast in I hooked a mop, Deadly then managed a nice Pollock, the Pollock took his bare hook as he reeled it in, spawney git, reckon it was around the 2lb mark…..

[​IMG]

He recast and before he put his rod on the rod rest he was into another fish, this one turned into a nice fresh run 2.5lber……
    The tide began to slow about 1hr before HW and the bites stopped, I had a bash at spinning and managed to land a maccy and Pollock. It was then time for home. Apologies for the lack of pictures that was down to the weather.

A massive THANK YOU to BIG CLIFF, GJW & MATTY for their help, it was a belting couple of days in a fantastic place, a cod fisherman’s paradise………………………..

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cracking report not to sure about that first pic though :scare: :scare: :scare:.

Well done to the both of you. Tightlines Chris

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done mate but i'm scarred for life after seeing richie in his boxers!

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well done Mark and Rich on a good report and some nice photos and fish , it really shows the way when it comes to cod fishing , last winter when it was the pants here it was spot on up there

5. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Thanks again Alan for all your advice, what a spot ethie is, there are so many cod holding areas around there, think were heading back up there in september......................

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great report well done lads looks like you had a ball

7. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some nice fish there lads ...cracking report :happy:

8. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

It was a cracking couple of days which as usual when you get anglers together provided some opportunities to have a good laugh and on most occasions at someone elses expense :laugh: :laugh:

I need to apologise to a couple of low level pilots from the RAF who flew over us whilst i was in extreme fishing mode as they must of been considering phoning greenpeace to report a stranded whale on a cliff top!! :laugh: :laugh:

Mark has omitted a couple of other things that I feel it only fair to share :wink: :laugh: :whistle: :whistle:

Whilst he may of been distracted by my Homer impression we were eyeing up another cliff shot as a pot boat had dropped a few lines which were pretty much right in the way of where we were when he noticed a good cod bite - did he heed my warning of be careful running on a grassy cliff top freshly rained on? Nope! promptly slid like a good un on his arse. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At an island shot I passed comment that the tide seemed to be pushing and should we get back to the mainland? Having a scan about we realised we could fish the same bit of water from elsewhere so we packed the gear to find the stepping stone route a tad deeper :scare: Due to previous rainfall I gave little regard to the problem as Mark tried to use "the force" to convince himself he could leap big gaps between tiny stones. Common sense prevailed and he joined me in the wet boots socks and trouser club :laugh: :laugh:

Has anyone tried to erect a tent with a frozen zombie? - I have! Dont think I have ever seen someone look so tired and cold on a summers night but it was about 2 in the morning.

Having done a little tide fishing at the submarine we decided to move due to the tide falling away for a shot or two near the pebble beach before heading home. We had a chuck when I asked the time. Marks face was like a little boy who had had his toys taken off him when I said we need to head away to clear Edinburgh before rush hour. We reluctantly packed the gear when we started to discuss the days catch of Cod, Pollock and Mackeral when Mark realised he had been struck by that most common disease suffered by anglers! Harry-itis - He had left the fish bag on the submarine shot :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I did the decent thing that all your mates do. I took the p*ss then I carried some of his gear up the cliff whilst he doubled back but I waited at the cliff top for his return for the rest of his gear to make sure nowt bad happened in his hurry to find the cure for the anglers affliction :laugh:

For my first visit with only 1 and a half days fishing I was rewarded with red cod, pollock, wrasse and a pollywog.
    The scope for angling in the area is incredible with so much deep water within a very short casting range and I am looking forward to getting back up there very soon armed with ideas.

A big thanks to Mark for the company and to several guys who have fed myself and Mark info re marks etc

Now where are those doughnuts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers Rich aka Homer

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great report Mark, and a big well done to you and Rich on your catch. Glad you enjoyed your fishing up at Arbroath and glad to be of help. Winter fishing can be even better...

Gary

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done on the fishing Lads, you done ok considering it has been hammered recently ,
    there seems to be a lot of fish in the 3 to 4lb mark this year ,

give me a shout rich when you going again :wink:
    OH and mark i know what you mean by the white knuckle ride ,i did it from the mull, :scared:

11. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, leds great report and pics, welldone on the fish. like it has been said it is such a great place i cant wait till next years trip

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

If you are tempted to try your hand at cliff fishing and why not as for me its one of the safest ways to fish , that cliff mark where the lads fished is a doddle and it can give you top class fishing , I have had cod to just under 9lb off there , just wish it was near to where I
    live

13. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done lads some nice fish there

14. woody

woody New Member

well done mark and rich looks cracking up there lads good report !!!

15. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks that was brilliant stuff! Am really hoping to have a go up there soon. When you see what you can catch in a report like that it does wonders for your motivation... :yes:

The only thing i'm not sure of is how do you know how much bait to take (for say a weekend) and how do you keep it all fresh in the hot weather (if your in a tent)?
    Presume lots of flasks and cool box's are what you need for the job?

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

keeping frozen bait is a bit difficult ,but you can take fresh crab quite easy,,
    you can get plug in cool boxes for your car, otherwise you need to rent a cottage , or B,N,B,

last year the land lady kept our bait in a freezer for us and we took some each day,
    but realy renting a cottage is the way to go,

17. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks Harry i'll have a look out for a cottage then!

18. Tricky

Tricky Bill and Ben were Fishermen

Looks like you had a great time and some good fish.

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done lads, great report and pics Mark. Those red cod look the biz, I like the one of you without your shirt on the best though :kiss: :laugh:

20. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nicely done lads, really enjoyed your report you've got some good fish and stories there :yes: