1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A SHORT BREAK NORTH OF THE BORDER

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Oct 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Me and the wife have just returned from a caravan break up at Eyemouth , I took a couple of rods just in case I got the nod of approval :whistle: :wink: ,

I had a short session off ST ABBS breakwater where i caught 3 cod best around 7lb and a wrasse. For a couple of years ive had my eye on a spot off the cliff tops just north of eyelouth on the way to coldinghham bay.

The mark ticked all of the boxes for me so when i arrived at this new mark i was getting quite a buzz and a feeling of expectancy ,

I was using my Century CM 16 foot 3 piece and a fixed spool loaded with 80 lb braid [ I like a challenge ] the tide had been Ebbing about 1 hour when i started.

Within a few minutes i had a bite which i managed to miss , I baited up with my strip of macky , preserved gulley lug and half a good frozen green shore crab and a nice pebble as a sinker and belted it out.

Within a few minutes i had a canny bite and struck into a decent fish , what a struggle was coming for me it was stuck in the kelp i managed to get it going and got it to the foot of the cliffs so then i had the easy job of handlining the cod up this quite high cliff , the braid was going all over the place and you know what braid is like , OH for another pair of hands , anyhow after a lot of chew i managed to land it, a Kelpie cod of 6lb ,

i managed to get some of the loose braid back on my reel but had to scrap some , cast out again , within
    a short while i was into another kelpie of around 4lb more struggles,

I noticed another nice gulley on my right so i chucked into it, Bang i was into a really good cod it was a struggle to get it to the foot of the cliff the light was starting to fade and my thoughts were What the hell am i going to do with this one.

I didnt feel as if i could handline the fish up so i started to walk back across the farmers field , it turned out to be the death march ! crack and that was the end of it , drat it.

I went back the following day where I had another cod of around 6lb and another of 2.5 lb plus a wrasse of 3lb in another short session , so i came away happy , I just love it when something new comes off

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fantastic stuff Alan, some belting cod action you've had there, well done :yes: wonder how big that one you lost was? thats the prob with braid it probably cut on the cliff as you walked back

by the way , check your PM :wink:

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great stuff Alan. Shame you lost the better fish but it must be a great feeling when something you have been looking at for a while takes place and pays of well.
    I fully intend having a go at that little spot I mentioned last year to you as soon as the conditions improve. Hope I have a quarter of your success and I will be very happy.
    Once again well done to you.

4. woody

woody New Member

great stuff alan some nice fishing up there !!!

5. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

Nice one Al, nice story to show that your mantra "You never stop learning" is there for all to read mate, well done. Using it on Cowbar cliffs next???

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Allan.................

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report Alan, sounds like some good sport up that way. Shame you lost the pig but you've sussed out the mark for future trips up that way so not all bad I guess.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Very good report Alan , i could just imagine the sceene, :whistle: braid round your ankles and the fish swing about :laugh: well done Alan , on a good sorte, :cool:

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice fishing Al . shame on loosing that pig like . would of liked to see them red fish . top fishing .....

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

It was an area I admit to not giving enough attention to , I first fished Eyemouth / St abbs over 40 years ago and i have some great memories
    I only wished i had tried the spots im now looking at , drat it !!!!!!!!!!

11. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

well done alan on the report and the fish, shame about the biggy you lost

cheers lee

12. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

regards to the wife as she allowed it all well done

13. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sounds like a great holiday Al, lovely weather good fishing . You'll have to give me some tips on our next trip :yes: Shame about the biggy , know what its like to loose one on the cliffs (remember the splash) :laugh: :laugh:

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done Al. It's a real bummer when you try to catch that biggie, then when you do, you've got a great lump underneath you, and thinking to yourself, what the hell do I do now :confused:

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

We are hoping to get back up to Eyemouth on Tuesday for a decent session all been well , Im hoping to introduce a Rookie to that area and I
    have a sneaking feeling hes going to get in among the fish I will keep you posted on what happens good or bad

16. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Good luck to you all. Cant wait for this report, hope the rookie bags a pig.

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done on the fish you landed al. shame you lost one but thats fishing. well done. :yes:

18. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

are you taking dav al :laugh:

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

:cheesy: :cheesy:. That sounds about right sir lobitoutalot :cheesy:.
    How did you get on today lobbers ? . Ah thats right .Shite :laugh: :laugh:.
    God luvs a tryer chor. :kiss: