1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Shark Or A Seal Stealing Fish And Hitting Kayaks At Flamborough Nr Bridlington

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Full Shark Story Here

A member of our Facebook Group Garry Pye has reported having his fish bit in half whilst fishing down nr Bridligton. Its also been mentioned on Facebook that large creatures have been chasing fish being caught by kayak anglers at Flamborough.

My initial thoughts are seals, but sharks cant be ruled out, and looking at the comparision of Garrys Facebook picture and a confirmed shark bitten cod photographed by Paul Kilpatrick earlier in the year, the similarites are clear.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34475.0

Attached Files:

2. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Kayaker was me Glenn, believe me it was definitely a shark, I was trolling a plug towards Brail from the south on Tuesday evening just before dark,

I hooked and was playing a 3lb Bass when I saw a swirl behind it and a large shape in the water which I initially thought was a Seal until the dorsal fin broke surface,

the bass evaded the shark and shot under the kayak I was winding in as fast as I could and in the clear water I saw the shark change direction and come directly towards me. pulled up hard and the fish came out of the water and landed in my lap

but the shark followed and broached alongside crashing into me. got a very clear view of it and it certainly was not seal.

I just about crapped myself bumped into 1 of the ECKA lads on the beach in North landing who said he had seen a shark there about a week before but his mates accused him of doing drugs :D

3. Baramundi Bob

Fuck me, thats some encounter. Did you paddle home quick ??

4. Baramundi Bob

Just had a private message telling me that Garry Pie was fishign brail when his fish was bitten in half.

Same place Dave, deffo sounds like that Shark is in there and hanging about. Keep your feet on the yak mate :)

5. gary

gary Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was plugging there last night felt very eery especially when I had to put my hand in to retrieve a fish

6. glassback

glassback Blenny

gary sent me pics yesterday when it happened he was amazed
    he said it was a shark definately not a seal
    it could of pulled him or his gear over cliffs .
    so be carefull ,keep your rods pegged down and drag set right .

same spot as dave had his encounter on his yak
    so its hanging round that area

7. Spawney-Dave

Funny thing is that I was just panicking to stop the shark getting my fish, but after it hit me I was just relieved I didn't go in. & yes I kept the gear out of the water and broke an Olympic record getting back to North landing :D

8. Baramundi Bob

I remember Ray mentioning a few years ago that he had had similar experiences in that area.

9. Baramundi Bob

I hear Lobbers also had the same thing happen at Filey Brigg which isnt too far from there.

10. Spawney-Dave

could have Rupert Anchored there this weekend with 3 cod livebaits and a huge ruby dubby trail ;D

11. Baramundi Bob

Just been speakikng to Lawsey about it. Mart wilding and Chris Scaife will have it out.

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i doubt I will get round to it, but I think a baloon and a live bait sounds the way to go?
    Would make one hell of a story, catching that from the shore.

Anybody who has seen Tiger Sharks waiting for the first flight of sea birds from their nesting sites will probably be not that surprised there might be a shark or two beneath Bempton. When you think about it, shark heaven?

13. jaydee

jaydee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Neil (hoggy) told me about it at work yesterday . And consequently went chasing after it 8 hours later lol .to no avail . Said it was a porbeagle

14. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/shark-fishing

15. Steve

Steve Rockling

heard of a couple of other anglers having the same experience a few years back. they thought it was a tope that was attacking there fish

16. Baramundi Bob

17. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

most people will think it was a seal and i'll never be certain, but uptiding last year early season off bay ness end, i got fish ripped from me and another bitten in two, i thought it must be a seal until i looked round and couldnt see one anywhere. now reading this im not so sure at all

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

We spoke to Dave in the car park just after it had happened, he was well shook up

19. Baramundi Bob

Has anyone ever had a fish bitten in half by a seal ?? My experiences of a seal have always been them swimming off with the fish and snapping the line. The one time I got a fish back off a seal (after a 10 min fight) the fish was alive and only lightly marked. Which suggested the seal only lightly took it in its mouth. I got a feeling it knew what it was doing and wanted the fish line free before it started to eat it. Also watching the seal take mackerel, they always snapped them off and never bit them in half.

I once watched a seal pinch about a dozen mackeral and line them up on a ledge before returning to eat them all in one sitting.

Only personal observations but ahs anyone ever seen a seal bite a fish in half whilst it was attached to a line ?

20. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Matt breen had his ling severely mangled one festival but got it back, seal attacks on fish like you say either take the fish or mangle them never really a clean cut off from what ive seen