1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A REAL MONSTER AT KETTLENESS

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by big cliff, Oct 24, 2010.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

A few pics from the Ichthyosaur fossil recovery team.. :happy:

It really was an enjoyable day, although the weather was totally crap the banter was great, and everyone enjoyed themselves, :yes: just goes to show many hands make light work... Although it was far from easy.. :wounded:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well to be honest i could of walked past that rock hundreds of times and would have had no idea that it held the skull of an Ichthyosaur ..:embarrass:
    Was told they first appeared approximately 245 million years ago.. So about the same time as (Big Cliff).. :laugh: and disappeared about 90 million years ago, about 25 million years before the dinosaurs became extinct.... So you can say its pretty old.. :surprise: Well done to Mark (Chopper) on his find.. :cool:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thankyou Garry. Looks like a lot of fun mate.

3. amazing to think that in that rock is a skull looks a lot of fun and banter interesting to.

4. Baramundi Bob

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now that is some proper teamwork! Would loved of been there.

Where is the head then? Looks like a rock to me :embarrass: Will Mike be working his magic on it? would love to see the finished piece.

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What looks like 3 teeth are a cross section of the top jaw , quite a bit had snapped off , god knows when , part of the bottom jaw
    is just visible, I would not have spotted it in a million years , guess its horses for courses

7. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great photos, and a fantastic effort by all involved....well done guys. It's a great story too, when you think of the timescale of that fossil it makes you very aware of just how brief our own time on this earth is, in comparison we are here for only a moment.

Thanks for posting the photos Gary, regards Ian.

8. chopper

chopper New Member

Gary and Glenn,thats totally outstanding :yes:. I still cant get photos from my wifes mobile onto forum :sad:. Will post photo of progress on fossil next week :happy:

Cheers
    Mark

9. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Mark,

Please keep us up to date. Ill also go down and get some pics with Mike when he starts work on it.

Great find and fantastic achievment to get it up the cliffs. Full marks to all involved.

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

truly a great bunch of anoraks I've ever seen ,great effort lads and very interesting.

11. langy

langy Rockling

Anything else happened with this ??

12. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

that is incredible what a cracking story and what a find, hope you have been onto the press.

13. Baramundi Bob