1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A REAL MONSTER AT KETTLENESS

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by big cliff, Oct 24, 2010.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I saw the largest bag hauled up Kettleness cliff yesterday , god knows how much it weighed but it was well into 3 figures ,well in
    NO it wasnt cod ------- Heres the story unbelievable but totally true , Chopper [ Mark Smith ] had found the head of an
    ICHTHYOSAURUS fused into a large block of stone near Fillet tail scar with a few of the lads they managed to move it to the fingers
    in front of the fingers at Kettleness nab , about a dozen of us turned up yesterday around 10 AM to try and move this levanthian
    past Hillstones where it was going to be placed upon a land rover , some hope !!!!!!!! , we got the head into one of the huge
    builders merchants bags Mark brought 2 long lenghts of timber about 5 in by 5 we got the wood through the handles , then came
    the big lift , it was impossible , Mike 33 decided to remove a few stone of rock off the fossil [ And what a star part that man played ] it was now still very very heavy but a bit more manigable, we got it as far as where the rope comes down the cliff , then somebody had the bright idea why not pull it up the cliff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have got to be cracking some sort of zany joke , give
    over , piss off etc etc , anyhow we started it had been raining so you can appreciate what the cliff was like , what a struggle , you
    had to be there to believe it BUT we got it bto the top of the cliff and the waiting vehicle , and what a great feeling of achievment
    we all had, many thanks to all who took part ive never known so many people going on holiday yesterday, strange !!!!!

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

what a fantastic find and a great story! well done to all concerend. any pics?

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

That sounds fantastic Alan, would loved to of seen that. One hell of a find, I bet Mike would of loved it as I know he likes his fossils that man :yes:

4. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Well done to you all, wish I'd known I would have come down to offer moral support.
    Any idea where the fossil is going to end up?

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Did you take any pics of it lads. Or can you get me some pictures of it in storage. Has mike got it in the workshop ?

6. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Awesome, would love to see some pictures as im really intersted in things like this
    what a lot of effrot you all put in but what a great reward to have been successful in retriving it
    well done to all involved

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Pouncer took some photos , I said to Mark i had been using it as a rod rest for 40 years :laugh: I would have not spotted it in
    180 million years the age of the fossil , it will take alot of work to reveal all of what is inside , it was a day i will never forget :yes:

8. chopper

chopper New Member

It was an unbelievable experience. Cant thank the lads enough.Without them it would have been near impossible to shift.For them to give up most of Saturday for me was above and beyond the call duty . I will never forget the help that they have given to me and will never forget the whole experience - it was a real rollercoaster of a ride.Even when our tanks were running on empty,Pouncer drove us on to the top. Mike 33 took the ichthy skull by the horns(so to speak)and swiftly knocked about 10 stone off the rock which was probably the key to the success of the operation(me and Mike cut the skull out of a block about two weeks ago. The original block that the skull was in must have weighed 6 - 8 tonnes). The skull currently resides in my garage where i'll have to take the bulk of the stone off the block before i can pass it onto Mike to finish it off. Thanks again lads :yes: :happy:

9. Baramundi Bob

Hi Mark, Do you have any pictures of you all with the beast ? I would like to do an article on my new site about this.

10. chopper

chopper New Member

Now then Glenn,my wife took some piccys and Pouncer took some also. Will get piccys of the day and fossil to you as soon as i can. The fossil just looks like a big lump of rock at the moment with some bone showing.

Cheers
    Mark

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Hmm , Yerno that spot you fished today mark :cheesy: :cheesy:...

I am really pleased it was a success mark ,gutted i couldnt make it . I know how much it means to you mate . Seems a big mantle piece is on the cards for x mas :laugh:....cheers

12. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a great day a wouldn't of missed it for the world. Was i dreaming or did we really get it up kettleness , how on earth you did the first bit is beyond me
    It only goes for me to say 1 2 3 PULL 1 2 3 PULL 1 2 3 PULL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Will try to get photos up as soon as possible

13. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Giant Ichthyosaur Fossil Found on the Dinosaur Coast.

The giant prehistoric ichthyosaur fish lizard fossil found on the Charmouth / Lyme Regis Jurassic coastline.
    Is Tony Gill another Mary Anning?

| Mary Anning | Tony Gill | images | Congratulations |

Congratulations to Mr. Tony Gill of Charmouth Fossils
    by Richard J. Fox M. B. E.
    Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK historian and ex Town Crier

Tony Gill's recent find the biggest ichthyosaur fish lizard fossil of 40ft. length is of international significance
    The very nature of the terrain surrounding Lyme Regis and it's neighbour Charmouth can be likened to a double edged sword. The outcrops of Blue Lias, a sedimentary rock from the Jurassic period, is extremely unstable, especially where it meets the erosive force of the sea and bad weather. Landslips are a regular occurrence, erosion is continuous. This causes headaches for landowners and coastal defense departments. With this constant erosion, geologists and fossil hunters are regularly rewarded with new and exciting finds.
    The first lady to take a scientific interest was Mary Anning, born in Lyme Regis in 1799. At the tender age of 10 years, she and her brother Joseph found the first recorded ichthyosaur fossil, her 18ft specimen became world famous.
    Mr. Tony Gill has recently found a massive 40ft specimen, the biggest ever found. It will take many months of painstaking work to finally reveal the 180 million year old monster hidden in its rocky grave.
    It is through the dedicated work of enthusiasts world wide that a greater understanding of the development of our planet is revealed.

MARY ANNING AND TONY GILL

Mary Anning learned how to collect ichthyosaur fossils from her father. She prepared and sold them to institutions and collectors.
    To find out more about her visit these sites, you can then click back on your browser to return to this page:
    http://www.sdsc.edu/ScienceWomen/anning.html
    http://www.lymeregismuseum.co.uk/fossils.htm

Tony Gill has hunted for fossils most of his life. He prepares and sales them at his shop, Charmouth Fossils.

To find out more about him, visit his site:

The drawing of a specimen example of plesiosaur fossils by Mary Anning, found by her in 1823 in the blue Lias at Lyme Regis. This was a completely new species known to the world.

An artists' impression of a plesiosaur swimming in the Jurassic seas when the dinosaur roamed.

s Found recently.

An artists' impression of an ichthyosaur swimming in the Jurassic seas.
    Tony Gill found his ichthyosaur (photograph at top of this page) during the Easter of 2000, after several day of heavy rain caused a slip on the coastline at Charmouth. He plans to show the preparation of the fossil at his shop, as he does it, on his web site:
    http://www.charmouthfossils.co.uk

If you are interested in learning more then visit Tony's site or take a field trip with a local geologist.

| Mary Anning | Tony Gill | Images | Congratulations |

14. Baramundi Bob

Thats Brilliant mark. I look forward to getting the pics from you. Will make a great article on the site. Is Mike gonna do some work on it for you ? Would be nice to do an article from start to finish of the project. well done on a quality find. We shall have to think of a new name for you now. Mike is Mike the fossil and his mate is jurasic Geoff.

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done lads. Mark called me too but unfortunately I decided to go on holiday just as he rang :whistle: Sounds like a monumental effort, can't wait to see the end result after Mike has worked his magic :educated:

16. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello guys,
    that's a cracking story and a fantastic effort by all, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos too.
    Regards Ian

17. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Monumental effort guys, :surprise: can't wait to see some pics.

Nick

18. metal micky

metal micky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

where's the pic's.everybody is waiting.
    we might see you all in the papers(scales of justice)
    well done to all.

19. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Harry was on about this on friday night and I found it interesting. Nice work anyway, it'd be great f you put some pics up :yes: :happy:

20. Baramundi Bob

Really would like to see some pictures lads. My colleague lives at Kettleness and was intrigued to see a group of men heading down the cliffs with ropes and poles.