1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Quick review of the Thule 873 Hydro Glide kayak carrier

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andym, May 21, 2011.

1. andym

andym Rockling

With the winds being unfavourable to get out for a paddle today :cry: I had a bit of spare time on my hands so thought I would write a quick review of my Thule 873 Hydro glide kayak carrier

Hoping that it may help some of the new lads out or anyone struggling with the heavier kayaks (they don't come much heavier than the ultra :whistle:)

I've been using this for nearly a year now and had no problems with it and found it very usefull especially on slopes :yes:

[​IMG]

It comes with 1 pair of rubber front supports that adjust to the shape of the hull, 1 pair of pivoting felt lined rear sliders, 1 pair of Thule cam straps & some square attachments to use with non aero Thule roof bars (if using aero bars the supports just slide into the bars and lock with thumb screws)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use a length of carpet underlay and lay it rubber side down onto the rear of the car so it doesn't slide off and protects the bodywork :scared:

[​IMG]

Then I lift the bow of the kayak onto the rear of the car then walk to the back of the kayak and using the rear handle slide it up onto the rear sliders and as far forward as you want it then drop it onto the front rubber grips which will hold it in place until you are ready to strap it down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The process is just reversed for getting the yak back off again SIMPLES :cheesy:

It does state in the instructions that max load is 25kg however I have had no problems using it and my Kayak with rudder, fishfinder + battery must be at least 10kg over this weight :scared:

I hope this quick write up helps some people out :yes:

Andy

2. Mr T

Mr T Blenny

I got 4 of these thrown in with a Malibu 2 I purchased last year in Leeds. And I'm glad they were as it was high winds on the way back and they held the yak rock solid. A handy bit of kit if travelling a fair way. Help keep the yak true when loading and unloading also.

Wish this wind would drop a bit now, it's had it's fun :sad: I bet there's a silver bar or two out there to be had now :happy:

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Did,nt realiise what a chew it was getting the yak loaded onto the car. The information you have given is really helpful.

Mick.

4. andym

andym Rockling

I think it's only a chew with the heavier Yak's I'm sure the lads with the Kaskazi's lift them on and off with one hand :wink: :cheesy:

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

I wish, Andy, i wish. I'd love a paddle of your 4.7 sometime. :yes: and I like the way the bow pushes through the waves.

6. andym

andym Rockling

you're more than welcome to have a go Dave