1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick report from Norway, a few more photos added

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Spawney-Dave, Jun 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A bit windy today although nice and sunny so time to chill and post a few pictures, we are staying at the Smøla Feriesenter ont the island of Smøla just out from Kristiansund, The operation is owned and operated by a good friend & work college of mine so it was a great chance to catch up and do some fishing and a little drinking together :D
    The place is in a sheltered little bay with a fantastic view to the mountains towards Trondhiem, the boat pontoon is outside the door so its very convienent fishing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its a complicated place because the island has actually thousands of small islands around it and a mind blowing number of options.
    So far we have fished mainly for Cod, Odd needed his freezer topping up so we helped him achieve that for a couple of days, nothing massive but very consistent stamp of fish between 5 & 10lbs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday Odd had business to attend to so we went on our own, the first mark was a small hill at about 30m in deeper water, we had a good few fish in the same size range, but the wind picked up and we were drifting pretty fast so I had a look at the chart and noticed a likely looking contour sheltered behind a small island, our gear didn't even touch bottom before we were into fish, Marion was shadding but I had a speed jig and a couple of jelly worms & they were coming up with doubles most times :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    quite soon the wind dropped away and I decided that it might be fun to catch these fish on lighter gear so I put a twintail leadhead on my savage gear spinning rod and dropped it down in about 15m, first lift it went solid then started taking line, I hadn't realised an 8lb cod could pull so hard, when I finally got it to the surface I was shocked to see this huge red cod alongside, weighed later it was 24lb 6oz :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not content with that and the wind now very light we decided to go out into the Fjord with the 3 small coalie we had foul hooked and try for a big Ling or something, got our baits down on a drop of starting at 90m going down to 150m, straight away we had 3 of these fish they call Lumb, with our baits, Marions were both double figure, the best weighed at 16lb when we got back, apparently a specimen :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    with our bait used up we headed home, filleted the lumb for dinner, which is very good eating, The Cod went in Odds bulging freezer.
    [​IMG]
    had a short day today due to wind but managed a nice Haddock which is tonight's dinner and a few more Cod.
    [​IMG]
    we stopped for a while lose in in 20ft of water and had more fun with smaller codlings on the spinning gear, then its a lazy afternoon in the sunshine 8)
    [​IMG]

2. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Re: A quick report from Norway

That looks like my idea of heaven Dave , stick with the light gear matey.

What about a try for the big plaice, dabs etc ? ? ?

Superb fishing and report , keep em coming

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

Blimey - proper fishing there!

I would love to do that one day.

Any halibut where you are?

4. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

excellent report ,thanks 8)

5. Spawney-Dave

There are and I would love to catch 1 but its not easy as they can turn up anywhere and are not easy to target, also the fishing for flatties is more or less ignored, I tried last time and just kept catching large cod on my plaice rig :D

6. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if you have some small lures or spinners you should try some of the shallow waters for the sea trout you will be surprisd what you can pick up,, ;)

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Excellent teport mate very impressed

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

Fantastic spot looks like pure Heaven are you going to come home Dave ?
    Apart from the makkies arriving in force its back to April fishing/conditions on our native hunting grounds.
    In case you dont come back I might be able to find a buyer for you boat M8 . Ha ha

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

love it dave ,great read,i,m glad your still in the cod club, as reading recently it appears catching cod is boring, apparently wrasse is the new cod, only every time i see some one catch one they just swear LOL
    well DONE again on the effort

10. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Mouthwatering stuff, what a fantastic report, very very jealous here ;)

11. Spawney-Dave

Despite indifferent weather the last 2 days still produced plenty of fish, also managed a few photos of the magnificent sea eagles that inhabit the island.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]