1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick report from Baja California with even more fish pictures today

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Spawney-Dave, Mar 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sponsored By 1st wet And Wild Kayak Fishing Outlet - Here.

Just settling back into life in loreto again after an amazing 10 days kayaking around Carmen & Danzante islands in the loreto Marine national park, we had a days fishing aboard a Panga with a the Mexican equivalent of killer,

weather wasn't great and we struggled to fid fish initially but Francesco eventually located some great sport with 5 yellowtails between us best of about 30lb and a bunch of bonito ect to keep us interested.

got to say that's the strongest fish I have ever tussled with, none of the amzingjumps you get with Tarpon just sheer power trying to get to the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that we joined up with our guide Santiago for our 10 day kayak trip around Carmen island, the main purpose was just to enjoy the amazing scenery but we did take our spinning rods and managed to get about 16 different species from the shore and a few more as we took our resupply boat for a spot of trolling.

Also kayaked with amazing pods of Dolphins and Californian sea lions & had ospreys around every day.

am running out of time so I will just add a few photo's for now, we are Wale watching in the pacific tomorrow and hoping to get another go at those Yellowtails on Tuesday :D

The guys who told Glenn this is the fishing mecca are probably right we are having a holiday with some fishing, are out of the best season but still can't wet a line without catching 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's it for now folks, Margerita time :D

2. Howard

Howard Blenny

Re: A quick report fro Baja california with fish pictures

Fantastic stuff D. Looks like Filey Brigg!

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow what a fantastic spot that looks Dave.. Great fish and top notch pic's making us all very jealous back here.. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

4. andym

andym Rockling

Brilliant Dave that looks an awesome venue to fish and paddle with some fantastic photos it's great having so many ospreys around its the same on the gulf coast of florida constant osprey calls fill the air and most coastal telegraph poles have one perched on top

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Wow.

The yellowtail sound to be epic scrappers.

I have a sneaky feeling there will be plenty more excitement before your holiday is over.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Dave and Marion, pleased to see you've had another epic Spawney adventure. Ive posted the link onto Dave Barhams wall so him and Jimbo can have a look at your pics.

Really jelous of you right now. The last pic looks an awesome shore mark. I can imagine getting on the end of there with a Yo zuri crystal minnow and catching a monster whilst quint caught spratts on his gonk.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Great stuff dave, looks fantastic out there.

8. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

cracking report again dave,good effort

9. ndgough

ndgough www.sbac.webs.com - Scarborough boat Angling Club

some great fish there Dave looks like your having fun

10. Spawney-Dave

Thanks guys, sorry for the lack of updates but the wifi in the hotel is pants :D

We have been whale watching today with grey whales and calfs 5m from boat, I will try to do a proper post when I get back back, another attack on the yellowtails arranged for Tuesday so hoping for more sore arms. think the Margeritas are affecting my blog as well ;D

I did try trolling my crystal minnows on the sea kayak and lost them bth to something that stripped 20m of linen no time and snapped me around rocks ?

11. marshy

marshy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great stuff as usual Dave. Thanks for sharing

Jim

12. Baramundi Bob

13. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Looks a lovely place and great pics, I like the one of the crab best ;)

14. Spawney-Dave

More Fantasy Fishing From Baja Mexico

a 5:30 start this morning for another session with our favourite skipper, flat calm the sun rising over Carmen island as we left port, first stop was a mark to do some live bait collecting, the prey of choice is something that looks like a horse mackerel without the sharp bits, anyway the bait were waiting and 20minutes gave us enough for the day. then it was over to the chosen mark for yellowtail, but halfway there we detoured to watch a couple of migrating humpback wales,(got some video but I need to edit it)

As soon as we arrived it was action, the livebaits were freelined which was a lot easier than the last trip when we had to fish them on the bottom. anyway we were soon latched into hard fighting yellowtail, although this form of fishing is a learning experience, knowing how much line to give before striking, needless to say lucky Marion learned quickest & had 4 fish to my one before I got the knack ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once we had our quota we persuaded our skipper to take us looking for rooster fish, its still slightly early in the season but we had seen a few on our kayak trip and were desperate to hook one,

unfortunately that was the easiest part, I managed to loose 3, the last being a monster that stripped miles of line, but judt as I was getting some back he managed to find a rock and ripped my leader to pieces. marion did manage anther yellowtail on the troll, then it was back to Loreto, passing another massive pod of dolphins and a couple of leaping manta's on the way.

Our favourite bar is cooking some of the yellowtail for us this evening, no doubt preceded by a Margaritas or 2 8)

15. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Re: more Fantasy fishing from Baja

Great stuff Dave and great pictures it looks great sport but I bet you cant wait to get back out codding in Yorkshire!! Yeah right!!

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

Re: More Fantasy Fishing From Baja Mexico

I bet the drags on those Avet reels are nicely run in now! 8)

17. Spawney-Dave

Re: More Fantasy Fishing From Baja Mexico

coping very well mate, we are definitely fishing lighter than most around here, your shark gear seems to be standard for yellowtail, but we are having more fun :D the beauty of having the fish taking on the surface in 150ft of water is you can let them have lots of line without any problem, unfortunately the same don't apply for the roosters :mad:
    been back into the piggy bank for another trip tomorrow, not sure what the quarry will be, striped Marlin on a spinning rod ? ;D

18. Spawney-Dave

Just noticed I am sponsored by wet & Wild so I would imagine that means that they are paying for us to stay another week ? ;D ;D ;D

19. Spawney-Dave

Sponsored By 1st wet And Wild Kayak Fishing Outlet - Here.

well yet another day with our favourite skipper, I will post his details later for anyone fortunate enough to pass this way as w were so lucky to get him, I apologise for not including some of the video but it all takes too long to process. I will do a proper report for the site when we get home Glenn, promise ;)

we steamed out at 05:45 into an amazing sunrise & headed to the bait atching grounds, there was one boat there who had struggled to find the bait, Fernando promptly steamed around until he marked the mackerel and we were straight in, its a bit of a chore as they prefer to be on the bottom at 280ft but needs must, more and more boats arrived and just chucked there sabikis down generally catching not much, we only dropped on fish marks and were first to leave with 30 in our bait tank 8)
    most of the boats were heading back to the ark we had had all the yellowtail but Marion explained we had done yellowtail and were looking for another challenge ;D

so we passed the rest of the fleet and headed around to the east side of the island looking for Rooster, Snapper or grouper, it was explained to us there was some risk we might not catch but we were happy. the method was trolled livebait and as we were only in 20ft over very rocky ground it was important we give a little line on the take then lock up the reel and hang on as the pargo would head directly for the rocks :D
    it was not frantic fishing but as we trolled along a stunning coast, passed a sealion colony, a large pod of dolphins and under an Ospreys nest it hardly seamed important 8)
    eventually I got lucky and after a couple of failed strikes I managed to land a dog toothed Snapper of around 12lb, Marion then hooked its dad, however after a titanic struggle she go the leader on the reel only for it to part about 6ft from the gaff :mad: I have this on video and its heart breaking, any way shortly after she managed another little 12lber. honestly these fish are the thugs of the reef and absolute beasts, we lost a good few more and were unsuccessful in our attempt at the rooster again but another fantastic day :) that was our budget for fishing gone but I made a call to the bank manager and she said we can go again Saturday as we might never pass this way again and we still don't have a rooster and you are a long time dead ;D
    enjoy the pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bait
    [​IMG]

20. Baramundi Bob