1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick guide to Thornback rigs & bait that have worked for me!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andym, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks Alain, thats appreciated :yes:

2. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers Alain I will try shortening the trace down a little may reduce the deep hooking but Scotty was using a shorter trace with no luck but when he lengthened it he got bites?

Might try with a 3-4ft so how it affects the hooking

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

One of the takes I had just about pulled the rod out of my hand with no prior indication, so yes, free spool on :wink:

4. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very good post i do a lot of thornback fishing down here on the south coast i know its different waters but weve tryed in the bristol channel and all along the southcoast and bluey out fishes makki for most rays.I recently proved this at the kent kayak meet catching 19 thornies i used 2 rods 1 baited with bluey 1 baited with macci 17 fish came to bluey of the 50 or so thornies caught that day only 6 came to macci .The outcome may have been different if we'd only fished macci as i think they'd have still feed but give the choice they took the bluey.Herring is also a very good bait.One thing i would say about bluey though is its messy so best to cut into your fillets while its still frozen.I split the bluey into 2 fillets i then cut the fillet in half giving a 3-4 inch tail section and 3-4 inch middle section this secton i split allong its length getting 3 baits per fillet i just use a single 4/0 wide gape hook and put in in the top of the fillet .I also use the same ugly stick 6lb great fun for thornies

5. andym

andym Rockling

I will have to give Blueys a go. That sounds like I use the same size baits as you proffering the tail end section!

Do we get any other Ray species along our stretch of coast?

6. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes i prefer the tail section.On my coast(south) i get small eyed undulate spotted blonde and thornback ray

7. andym

andym Rockling

If I keep putting the time in maybe other species may turn up

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i used bluey when me and Sam went out but didnt get a sniff on it. mackie and squid were the top baits that day. I also think the trace length depends on the tide. they reckon small tide flow long trace and vice versa