1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick guide to Thornback rigs & bait that have worked for me!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andym, Sep 10, 2011.

1. andym

andym Rockling

After having quite a few successful sessions targeting Thornback Rays from the Kayak and also having a lot of interest from the shore fishing lads I thought I would put together of what rigs have worked for me.

I have been using a 6lb class 8ft rod paired up with a 6500 sized reel loaded with 30lb braid the end tackle has been a semi fixed 3oz grip lead which can run freely for about 12" this is followed by around 5ft of 20-30lb mono to which a 3/0 hook is threaded on before tying on a second 3/0 so the bait is hooked pennel style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the lead being semi fixed I can keep hold of the rod and feel for bites and the fish doesn't feel the lead as the line pulls straight to the rod tip and the bites can range from being extremely shy to the rod almost being ripped from your grasp

The beads in the pics are there purely to protect the knots on the swivels and the knots need to be tested as the Rays put a great deal of pressure on your tackle and also I suggest using fairly heavy gauge hooks as fine wire patterns would bend out to easily

I prefer these or the Sakuma manta extras in a 3/0

[​IMG]

Then on to the business end The number 1 bait for me is A half fillet of Mackerel and with it being pennel rigged it doesn't matter which way the Ray homes in on the bait there should still be a good chance of a hook up also it reduces the need for bait elastic as the 2 hooks keep the fillet stretched out and presentation is kept natural

[​IMG]

also a pair of long nosed pliers is essential for the safe unhooking of these fascinating creatures

I am no expert on this subject YET! but hope this little article helps some other lads get to grips with these hard fighting fish

And I hope a few more of you lads are greeted with a sight like this appearing at the side of your Yaks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

2. Groyne

Groyne Guest

You read my mind Andy. After viewing your photos and seeing how close in you where, I was wondering if they could be caught from the shore. If the weather stays fine, I might have to bash a few makky, and give it a go. Thank's for the info. :yes:

3. andym

andym Rockling

If it wasn't for all the crabs you could cast a bait out at LW and walk back up the beach with the tide but the crabs would probably spoil that plan

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Andy, have you tried using Koike hooks yet nice and sharp and pretty strong yet not too heavy a guage

5. andym

andym Rockling

I will look into them Bri cheers

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got some here in 3's and 4's if you want to give them a whirl

7. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers for the kind offer Bri but I wont be getting out fishing for a while so I will pick some up myself mate

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Andy, I use something along the same lines. Differences being I use 6/0 Aberdeen and completely free running lead.

9. andym

andym Rockling

Sam I use a completely free runner on my Tope outfit but the idea with this one is I can switch rigs or do a bit of jigging for bait simply by un cliping the rig from the snap swivel yet still have a semi running rig

A 6/0 is OK for the Rays as their gobs are massive but you know me I still like getting the odd whiting and Billet lol

10. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

thanks for that andy :happy: fished saltburn pier the other nite. i had a go for rays but crabs got to my bait first :sad: :sad:.

11. andym

andym Rockling

Same story on the Kayak at times Jase but its deffo worth a go!

12. woody

woody New Member

andy what depth were u in when u had the thornies ? think deffo a night time approatch dawn and dusk will be prime also after a blow ,but the sea like glass , if the water getts like chocolate ? have fished for them quite a lot on the holderness it just shows they are there in numbers !!!!

13. andym

andym Rockling

20 - 36ft but I haven't tried any shallower I'm sure they will be there

14. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have you tried blueys ?

15. andym

andym Rockling

Not yet but it is an option when there are no Mackerel to be found! along with squid and Herring

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

There's certainly room for experiment Andy, especially regarding hook size and trace length. Its strange how fast they seem to swallow the bait before there's any indication that they are onto the bait, hence needing forceps or cutting the hook off.

17. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

do thornies take off fast once they are hooked?? just in case i connect with one off saltburn pier. might be a idea to have the rachet on and the reel in free spool :gum: :gum:

18. andym

andym Rockling

Most of the bites are very shy to begin with but then you can get them really wrenching the rod over so I would have the drag slackened and ratchet on and you will have time to wind the drag up before lifting into the fish

As well as the pier Jase I think on a flat sea fishing from the rock edge below the Ship Inn at LW casting onto the sand towards the pier would be an Ideal area to target them where the old pipe used to run

19. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Andy,

Thanks for the advice, very interesting. I'm going to have a bash tonight for them....unlikely i'll get one but it's an interesting challenge.

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

you should use a hook lenth of about 2ft that way when a thornie lands onto your bait your rod tip will flutter (this is the Ray shuffling the bait into its mouth) then when the Ray sets off this is when your rod could be pulled out of its rest its best to have your reel set in free spool with the ratchet on (multi) on a fixed spool use a tight laggyband to trap the main line with the bailarm open bite range from a very light pull to a raging Bull pull Thornies are a shoal fish so should you catch one chances are there will be more around try launce sandeel plus any of the baits already mentiond great sport off a beach like woody as said best times are last light & first light Flat sea that heve been settled for a day or two only ever fished the holderness beaches for them Hornsea north mappleton & tunstall Hillston tightlines Alain