1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question on lens or camera upgrade.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Jellyworm, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m still using my faithful Canon 400d that I bought in 2007 (I think). Recently though I am wanting more in less than brilliant lighting conditions. I ve got my head around the "exposure triangle" and still I m lacking the sharpness in landscapes that I see from others images.

So do I save and upgrade the camera....but that will no doubt end up as a kit with a similar lkens to the kit lens I m using now. Or,
    Do I go for a 50mm prime lens and if so what Canon fit lens ?

Any thoughts ?

2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Depends how much cash you got Dave :) I think an upgrade in camera would serve you better than a new lens at present.

My Fuji Came with kit lens and I know that combination knocks spots off my Canon with any of its more expensive lenses on.

For Pounds spent I believe the Fuji mirrorless systems will be better than most other cameras in the same price range.

Kev and Miff, @supersonic and @West Cliff Miff also opted for The Fuji and both are in love with their purchase.

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Which fuji is it ? I ve got a lumix dmc lx3 compact but the fixed zoom lens leabes me wanting at times.

4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. Glenn Kilpatrick

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I won t be affording one of them anytime soon.....can still wish though. ;)

7. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Canon 50mm prime lens seems to be an excellent lens for indoor, low light pictures of people. Landscape photography i'd opt for a wide angled lens, but it depends on budget. I've purchased a 14mm Samyang Prime lens which is awesome, very low aperture and great for night time photography as well (have a look on youtuube for examples). The Canon equivalent is a hell of a lot more money....

I used this on a Canon EOS 100d, tried it out the other night, but i'm still a learning novice at the moment. I'm trying to get the milky way, but haven't travelled far afield enough to get away from light pollution

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Forgot to mention, Canon do a 28mm Pancake lens which is supposed to be good for the price. Tiny as well, so good to carry around