1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question on kayak matches and a possible "cure all"

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Benq23, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a notion I've been coming back to recently regarding Kayak matches along the coast, we generally pick a starting point, (Runswick, south landing etc) then pick boundaries, we then reconvene a bit later, weigh and score the catches.

I've been contemplating a change to this model for a rover match.

The basis of this would mirror shore based rovers but with exactly no boundaries, IE, the starting point is a perfectly suitable bay or coastal area which people are free to fish from (for arguments sake we'll say Whitby marina) and would officially be nothing more than a knock up (I wouldn't want any shoot regarding insurance/boats/arm bands and so forth) if people wanted to fish for flatties off tate hill they would be welcome to, if they wanted to go wrecking off runny then awesome, want to go after cod from blythe then good luck and we'll see you back at the base 12 hours after launch (launch being the time all can exit the carpark to fish thier preferred mark)

I think this would be fun as no one could call anyone for breaching boundaries and suchlike, hence the "cure all" part of the title :)

thoughts?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Id be more inclined to fish this type of match Ben. A lot of fun has been stripped from the others with too many rules and regulations. Last year there was fall outs at all the matches I observed and all caused by rules, or rule changes. I didnt turn out for any of them as I feel they have been ruined and turned into more of a southern meet rather than a true North East Competition. The spirit of Yorkshire Coast Angling has been lost in the kayak matches, where there is no longer even a prize for heaviest bag of fish or cod at the fear of upsetting someone uptight halfwit.

3. Benq23

This is pretty much why I didn't bother last year, I try to fish Runswick if at all possible but the whole "he did this, they did that and I didn't catch so someones Cheating!" way of thinking that seems to have dominated matches over the past few years has me a bit downhearted over fishing them at all, I wouldn't say its due to a southern influence but the only ones I've really enjoyed in recent year have been the informal get together s (north v south). knock ups with no stringent rules.

anyway it seems that theres not a lot of interest going by this post, I'll suggest a casual meet over the summer if anyones up for it with a heaviest bag and single fish prizxe (based on cash in the carpark :) )

4. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I give up with you guys, set something going then do F*ck all to contribute and slag of those that do, think the reason there is no interest in this thread is the same reason there is no interest in this forum, don't suppose many will read what will probably be my last post but I remember fishing an entire summer for a certain competition organised on this forum, what di happen to all the prizes that were never presented ?

5. Benq23

Dave I wasnt having a go at the organisers of existing comps at all, thats not what this post is about, it was more just a notion for stopping some of the fighting that goes on and making a "freindly" sort of match like the north v south knock ups we used to have every so often, sorry if you've somehow managed to get offended at that, it wasnt intended

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You've got nothing to apologise for Ben, your post wasn't having a pop at anyone or any organisation, the way I read it was to see if there was any interest in a different type of format for a kayak match that's all.

The concept to me seems fine but as you know I boat fish rather than sit on top but the concept of allowing folk to use different techniques and styles and approach's to competition fishing is one that's worthy of consideration to see if theres any interest

An angler could sit close in and amass a tidy weight made up of smaller fish with the chance of putting together a bag of fish with the occasional bigger fish thrown in or they could take a calculated risk and paddle further to try their luck for that one or two biggies that would win the day. It would be a balance between fishing and paddle time with no guaranteed outcome

As a concept it has merit, a bit like a rover match where the more adventurous angler will venture further for that one big fish and then gamble on getting back to the weigh in on time

Good post and suggestion I thought and I see no malice in it

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Im totally entitled to my point of view Dave, its one I raised prior to the organisation of the last match. People changing rules and boundaries for no good reason isnt good, Ive observed it a lot with match fishing.

Continual changes of rules etc to favour others. Rules and boundaries in any match should be kept to a minimum so that the best angler wins. The last match left a really bad taste in my mouth. Dont take it personally Dave, I understand there was a massive fall out at the match organised by Stonefish too. Bags of fish thrown in the sea, mass disqualifications.

The challenge to all anglers in a match is to raise your game to the level of the best angler, not to restrict that angler with rules that serve no purpose. Im with Ben, the informal knock ups are much more fun, but Im just one person with a point of view, the match is well attented so others are clearry enjoying it, just not me, which is why I dont attend.

8. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well from my side Glenn I have had it with kayak angling, I tried to help and got landed with nearly all the load with little help for several years which I didn't complained about but then to be seen as a target was unacceptable, I don't want to go back over old ground because the past is past. but with 50 kayaks on the water its essential that there is control, the Scarborough match has a dedicated safety boat that does nothing else, unfortunately the runswick committee pay someone to go boat fishing and have an occasional glance round if they have time. whatever you say the boundary change was done for sensible safety reasons and its a pity what happened. Other than the festival match my Kayak now only goes out solo fishing early morning for Bass now, I have a very nice boat to fish from and lots of Sea Kayaking to do, Greece next week then Hebrides in May for a start. :)

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Which was the first North East kayak match ? Was it the Filey match....I remember winning a 'very nice' framed knot piece and I think Benq won with a nce cod of about 11lb ?
    Then the first Scarbro' match and the kayak as first prize.

I seem to recall all of those matches had rules, had safety boats and also had some controversy. I ve fished the Filey match, the Scarbro match and the Runswick match and all were well run and yes rules were put in place.....but the attendances of those matches speak for themselves.......a lot of people enjoy the format and enjoy the meeting of people from far ends of the country......not just a small group of people who know each other.

A rover knock up might well appeal to a local group of friends and it would be in the tradition of North east shore fishing...but not North East boat matches....but would it appeal to the numbers of the very well organized and well supported matches have shown plus it's not that long ago that we were all crying out how great the kayak matches were......a nd in their basic format not a lot has changed....just a few petty arguments along the way.....but more people have been positively involved in the matches than the few negative participants

We have a few really great matches and no doubt they will continue to grow....local knock ups will be what they are...a bit of fun for friends.....two different types of events and the two should not be confused or try to replace each other.

10. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Hi Glenn

There were a handful of people disqualified for being late back, not mass disqualifications. I also don't think there were 'bags of fish thrown in the sea'

I'm now involved with the organising of the Runswick and Scarb match, as I wanted to keep it alive. Nobody else seemed to want to step in take them on. Bit of a thankless task I can foresee!

I will ensure all rules are in black and white and kept to a minimum to keep it simple. Unfortunately, the wreck will be out of bounds, purely for safety. If we don't, we could potentially have 50+ kayaks 1mile offshore.

It would be great if everyone could just forget the past and go fishing. I'd like to keep it fun and enjoyable whether you're from the North or South.

You're all welcome and it would be good to see a good turn out for a friendly meet. Ian

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I'm sure you'll do a great job ian.

One thing you have is an insight to how a lot of the matches around the country are run. So the experience with different formats and setups will be good

12. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Still a steep learning curve though, Dan.

Would be good to see you all there.

May the best fisherman win!