1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A nights camping and a few fish up the Mull

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BeeceUK, May 6, 2014.

1. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi,

We had a nights camping saturday night at the Mull over the weekend and a couple of sessions on the West Coast for some Pollock. This isnt a mega report as the fishing wasnt on fire , not that we expected it to be this early in the year. It was as much a change to try out a new tent we have bought for some fishing expeditions this year and and some new tackle (rods / reels / jellies etc).

We arrived Saturday at 11am and headed to a new mark for us, one I have been eyeing on the OS maps so was nice to get there and see if it was actually accessable. We got on no bother, and set up. The weather wasnt brilliant by any means but we avoided the predicted downpour all day saturday and when it started coming out a bit nicer the fish seemed to switch on a bit. We managed 12 pollock between the two of us over 3.5 - 4hrs. Nothing big, with the biggest maybes pushing 3lb but the majority in the 1-1.5lb range, maybes this new mark is rubbish or maybes the fish just havent turned up in numbers yet, Im hoping the latter.

Headed to the Clash and pitched the tent up and headed back out to fish the ebbing tide, the weather had turned snottier by this point, the wind had got up and the sea was choppy and rough on the west coast, we didnt manage anymore fish that day. It started raining at about 8pm so we didnt bother trying on the night for bass, although again its probably too early fot them to be switched on to plugs.

It rained all night into sunday and although it had cleared up by mid morning sunday the wind was still putting a dampner on the fishing conditions and I managed only 2 small Pollock this day with my brother catching nothing for his efforts.

Took a few pics, had a few fish and tested out some new gear so wasnt too bad all in all, seeing as Ive only fished twice since last Oct / Nov it was nice just to wet a line and get away from it all for a day or two.

Planning on perhaps having a couple of nights back end of the month on the bank holiday but will decide closer to the day and see what the weather is like before going, also gonna go to Anglesey for a week in June and then got a week booked in a cottage back up the Mull the back end of July. Heres hoping for a good summer season for us all !!

Ben

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toonfireman

toonfireman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report..thanks for that

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff mate, im really wanting to get up there myself soon. Maybe June if poss. Thanks for spurring me on.

4. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report Ben sounds like you had a nice couple of days no doubt see you out an about soon.

5. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report Ben sounds like you had a nice couple of days no doubt see you out an about soon.

6. congerball

congerball Blenny

Cheers for posting, a good read.

Looks like you're having fun which is the main thing!

Looks like a good spot that, rekon there's a double for someone this year. Hopefully a few!

It's just getting them up and then stopping them violent surging runs. Too soft and it's in the kelp. Too hard and the hook pulls/snaps.

7. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the replies guys.....

Yeah it was good to get back up there Glenn, even though in our heart of hearts we know the better fishing is a month or two away it was nice to do a bit of light tackle fishing.

Cheers Craig, yep no doubt we'll see each other out and about soon enough, Im gonna start from June onwards if the weather plays ball.

Yeah it looks like a promising mark Ben, hard to tell really though, think we'd have to fish it over a few sessions in summer in better conditions to see how much potential it has, a double would be mint though or even a decent stamp of 5lb + fish would be nice. I know what you mean about the bigger fish and getting em out, its one thing hooking them another thing getting em out, even the smaller ones can take the pee if you let them !!

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

good report thanks for posting ill be up at new england bay towards the back end of june so might bump into you up there tight - lines Alain

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cracking report and pics Ben

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done on the fish Ben,looks like you did ok seeing as the conditions were not perfect by any means ,
    nice to see a few photo,s as well , keep at it mate and hope to see you up there myself soon ,