1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Nice Surprise In last Nights Match

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by smokey, Oct 26, 2010.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Last night i fished the Filey match with langy,we set off for a mark in the cornelian area.
    I knew the hole i wanted to be in later would only be fishable from the cliff top until a couple of hours into the match :suspious:
    First cast we both had a billet apiece but the sea and colour looked perfect :tease:

Second cast i had one about 2lb and langy got in on the action with two 2lb ers in 2 casts :happy:
    Next cast i had a better bite and struck into what felt like a 2lb er,but the closer it came in,it started to feel like a bit better fish :cheesy:
    We were only 20ft up on the cliff but the fecker got jammed tight under,i couldn't even see it below me,luckily it was ebbing away and with only the odd wave hitting where the fish was,i decided to tie it off to my tripod :scare:
    About an hour later,we made the decent down below where we could now fish the hole from,lo and behold,there was a 5lb+ fish still flapping away fresh as a daisy with a 4/0 eagle claw and 1/0 circle buried right down it's belly,it's the first time i've had to do it and it was a bit nerve racking,but a nice surprise when it was still there :happy:

Be now we were starting to get to prime time with only 40 minutes to crack on,i had a billet 1st cast then 2 more codlings in the next 2 casts,i had 5 minutes left so chucked straight back in and had 2 more codling bites that never returned :cry:

I had said to langy earlier in the night that we would be leaving fish behind tonight and so it turned out to be,it's the sort of place when they are in there,you get 7 or 8 in as many casts,another 4 or 5 casts in the match would have been lovely :happy:

Just out of curiosity,i'vee had a fish or two over the last 3 weeks but thats the first fish i've had over 2lb :suspious:

Does anyone have any stories of years gone by where they have tied a fish off when cliff fishing and was it still there when you got to it :suspious:

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice one on a finding a few fish mart and glad the 5lber was still flapping about .... :yes:
    Im sure Garry . allan and martin have a few stories to tell of tying big fish off..... :yes: I think theyve had to do it to a few ....

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Mart, shame you couldn't get another arf hour...........................

4. woody

woody New Member

nice one mart, i seem to remember helping glenn try to hoist a piglett up sandsend cliffs 4 or 5 yrs back he had to tie it off tink it was a nice 7lbr he will tell u better

5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Nice tale that - great when you find a fish that you might otherwise have lost, even better when it's a decent one! :)

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Dropped a right sod last nite and got wrong mark was going to go down there my sen mart.
    Well done you 2

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Mart, nicely done with the 5lber as well :cool: :cool:

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one smoke, keep langy at it lad, he'll the next ramroot. well done on the fish, hav'nt heard from you in a while

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Smokey and Langy, some good fish there. I was once on High Cliff at Sandsend, Christmas Eve. Hit into a nice fish, and at that point in time I had never had a double. Tied it off to a small tree/bush. Waited for it to ebb off then went and got it. Would you believe it was 9lb 15 ounces.

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

same happened to me on streetlight glenn, id allready had a good sesh, but hooked what i thought was an absolute pig, so i tied it off and fished on, even fished the low down cowbar gulley and eventually, walked round the cliff bottom looking for what i thought was a big double, and found a stiff 9lb coddie, i was a bit dissapointed really cos i thought it was a pig, but when your on these marks, 100 foot up you have to remember that you are fishing shallow water and these fish are gonna go off it straight away

11. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done Smokey, pleased the fish was still there for you mate :yes:
    Regards Ian

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Nice one Mart.

Tied a fair few fish off from the cliff tops in the past, most of the time only to be disappointed when you find your trace with half a hook snood, probably due to the rasping effect of the cods teeth on the line.. A few years back Martin hooked a decent one he thought it was maybe 8lb so we were going to lift it, but we were fishing such an awkward spot to get to the edge, so decided to tie it off, and picked a nice cod of just under 13lb from the rocks below. :cool:

A couple of funny tales, One night we were fishing the tops when i hooked a real good fish got it to the bottom and Martin tried to lift it and said were going to have to tie this one off. So eagerly awaited the tide going back to get to this big fish.. When we got round Martin found the line and followed it i heard him shouting through the darkness, i scrambled over to him thinking yes he's got it, only to be confronted with Martin holding my trace with a cod that would of struggled to make 2lb.... I cant really explain what happened only that the big fish must slipped the hook and there was still enough bait on it to tempt the smaller fish... :embarrass:

Think the first time i fished Kettleness nab over high water many years back, i had a few fish to 3lb then i hooked a better fish maybe about 6lb, lifted it onto the ledge at the bottom of the nab when the swell came along got hold of the fish and ripped it off the hook, was really disappointed, but quickly baited back up and chucked back in, and was into another nice fish almost straight away, thinking there is no way i am losing this one, i had heard of people tying fish off but never done it myself, so cut the line tied it off, then i came up with the not very bright idea of sliding a white carrier bag down with a few rocks in so when i see the carrier bag the fish shouldn't be to far away... Big mistake slid the bag down the line only for it to burn through the mono.. :nerd: two good fish lost :angry: i thought to myself i am going to go and look for it when the tide goes back, decided to take the rod down and have a few chucks down below, after looking for about 30mins found nothing, had a few casts but caught nothing, so decided to call it a night, was just walking back along the when my headlamp picked it up, a lovely 8lber with my hook in its mouth and the loose line had caught round a rock, which had stopped it moving off...lucky me :embarrass:

13. glassback

glassback Blenny

well done mart i will have to have ago i ant been yet.
    i rember alan richardson getting a good fish caught up in cliff at arches so he tied it of and fished on till
    he could walk under and cut his fish down a nice 8 pounder.

mally skellton also had a good fish at flamborough and managed to pull it on to p of a dry scaur
    he estimated it over 20 ib .tied it of and walked round silex under were he was fishing and his trace was still on the scaur but fish had got of andmade a dash for freedom .
    we didnt beleive him on the size but a few days later there was 3 more caught up the coast all in there 20s .

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Well done mart. Sounds like you had a good nihts fishing