1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Nice Nights Fishing But Spoilt By A Match Angler

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Have any of you ever fished a pegged match next to the fella?
    Most folk only get one peg this fella gets seven,his own and the three each side of hm,and yes ive had words with him,ya might as well be talking to someone from the planet zog ::)
    mind hes not alone in pulling them stunts.

2. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

During my time fishing opens on the NE coast and SW Scotland, I've met and talked to Paul a couple of times. He came across as a bit of loner to be honest, no banter or anything with him, just questions from him that generally received one word answers as his attitude preceded him.

Personally, I can't get away with that. I was lucky enough to fish opens during Jim Dobies and Alec Harveys pomp, meeting them as far afield as the Isle of Man, and to me, they were how top match anglers should behave. As an budding 18 year old in the 80's, I learned loads from them, nothing would be too much trouble. There was certainly none of the attitude that Paul Short has apparently shown.

Sad really as, to me, you don't get anywhere with an attitude like that.

3. pikeman

pikeman Blenny

Fellas.

Has Paul been offered the chance to reply to this post, and maybe he could explain his actions.

pikeman

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

With out doubt Paul will look in on the site, whether he's registered or not I don't know but if he chooses not to comment that's up to him.

5. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

my worry is a lot of other match anglers will get tarred with the same brush after reading a lot of these posts.

if i turn up at a venue while fishing a match and theres already others there i will either move on or fit in where i can. in most cases the other anglers wont even know i'm fishing a match.

ive met Paul on many occasions over the years while fishing or bait collecting and he always seems to have his own agenda.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You will be judged on how you behave, not on how someone else behaves. I have to say that this "Mark Ownership" attitude is most prevelent in the match angling fraternity. However that does not mean all match anglers are like this, Ive met a lot who arent and a lot who are.

If your a match angler you have 2 choices.

1. Be friendly
    2. Be a (unt

Its not difficult, the first one means you will earn peoples respect and they will be more likely to speak positiveley about interactions with you, the second means a lot of people wont like you.

7. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

Without trying to get into an argument or debate, i find that the ... Mark ownership attitude ... isnt only related to some match anglers.

There are a lot of areas where locals get quite agressive to anyone from out of the area, fishing "there" local marks.

This is not excusing Pauls actions though.

8. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

Couldn't agree more dabcatcher,I've often been scoweled at or mumbled at by pleasure anglers when I've gone and fished next to them

9. pikeman

pikeman Blenny

Briggboy,

you can fish next to me anytime as long as you show me how to fish the venue. lol
    i have heard of people around the coast saying your fishing my rock, my attitude is tough
    i,m fishing it now.

pikeman

10. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

unfortunately this type of behaviour goes on even when not fishing matches. Killer was telling me the other morning how a well known poster on this site tried bullying an old fella on the west pier, but the fella stood his ground, it shouldnt happen at all,

we fished the 4s the other night, Mark who i fished against talked about marks and conditions we both fished and some we didnt know too, he came across really helpful, a nice lad.

Lucky not all match anglers are up their own arses, ive been lucky enough to have had plenty of local lads show me lots of marks, and i do the same too

11. Teacuis

Teacuis Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive have had the same on Whitby west and Saltburn pier in the past, probably the same guy, was once walking the dog down the gare with my nine year old daughter and did a tyre to show her a crab and was told by the same guy to f#ck off! What a pr#ck he is.

Paul.