1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Nice Nights Fishing But Spoilt By A Match Angler

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I realise you are complete pasethist Iain and that is an amazing quality to own. I wish i had it because the bad side of me comes out to play when I meet people like mr Short.

I love my fishing, and time with friends is all too infrequent, to have it spoilt by such an idiot, I see as an infringement on my right to fish with fredom at any given point in time.

Perhaps other people shouldnt have spoke out as directly as they did, but also this type of thing should never go unchallenged either.

I apologise for calling you deluded. That was a bit strong and Im sure when Face to face we will laugh about it. Fishing is for us all to enjoy and if iddiots like this are out to ruin the enjoyment of others they should be alienated untill they change their ways.

2. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

speak to people you like to be spoken to yourself.

he must like been spoken to like a twt

mick

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I hate that side of fishing and personally I would have sorted it there and then. Pau has always been ok with me and I know some who have had spats with him in the past. Imo though all this post will do is cause animosity, not sort it.

I had a bust up with a local angler years ago, I hardly knew anyone qt the time and it was Alan Richardson who instead of jumping on the bandwagon actually said things in my favour. It was a bit of a witch hunt as I remember and I will never forget alan for that.

4. Baramundi Bob

You cant create any more anymosity than he already did. Its there and it exists and it couldnt be sorted because he called us all tossers and then left asap. I also find it amusing that all the people he seems to get along with are all the best anglers. No coincidence there, his type know who to be friendly with and for the 1 reason only, your info.

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

if one good thing has come out of this thread, its knowing that I;m one of the best anglers LOL

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Can I just add that I wrote a reply in this thread which said that I had been told that rich and Paul were not good skippers. Anyone reading this May have took this the wrong way especially if new to the forum. Rich is a great bloke and charter skipper, he took me under his wing in the ship open last year and has always been friendly and helpful anyone booking a trip with him will not be disappointed. Same applies to killer both work very very hard and are great at there job.

7. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sea fishing is free fishing .
    Go where you want and enjoy it.

8. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sorry if my comments offended some of you,i don't know the guy personally,infact never heard of him,of course I don't think violance is the answer,it never is.

These stories how ever seem to be cropping up far too often,you can't fish there,you can't do that,don't tell anyone that youv'e had fish etc etc...

We all love our fishing,I don't know why we can't all get along,but I suppose it's all part of life n we r all different n have different idea's.Any way if you have any dealings with idiots,just ignore them,like in all walks of life there's plenty of e'm.

That's my rant over with,I just want ppl to enjoy there fishing n have fun,here's hoping we all have a great winter :)

9. Borgue

Borgue Blenny

This issue has really stirred a range of emotions! On reflection, I would like to think Paul regrets his actions the other evening. I agree that such behaviour does little for our sport. On a personal level, I have always got on well with Paul, and have found him personable towards my Dad and I.

On a general note, I despise the arrogance that a minority of people have towards their perceived ownership of any sea fishing mark. When I was a junior approx. 10 years old, I remember only too well a local angler 'ordering' me off the big rock at Cloughton. As a dutiful youngster, without the courage to challenge back, I left the mark with my tail between my legs. When I raised this with my old man he said "was the name of the angler in question written into the rock saying he owned it"? "Furthermore, no one angler has any greater right to fish any particular mark than anyone else". That lesson has stayed with me. Whilst at times I would like to have a mark to myself, and do occasionally get frustrated with anglers who spoil your fishing by casting over you/pulling you in etc, I could never go against the lesson my old man taught me. A bit of light hearted banter is all part of the fun, but any cynical attempt to affect someone's choice to fish a mark is not right.

In the past, my old man and I have been bad mouthed (mostly behind our backs) by some anglers for 'following them', 'poaching their fish'. This is another cynical attempt to influence peoples decision on where to fish. What often makes this bizarre, is the people that come out with such nonsense haven't been fishing the mark(s) in question for anything like the same length of time, nor have they caught anything like the same quantity of fish from that mark. They are simply envious of people who catch more than them, and don't welcome the competition. If you are a match angler, and I appreciate that many are not - which is absolutely fine, the whole buzz for me is competing toe to toe with the best to prove yourself. If you really do want to improve your match results, competing with others is a key ingredient in upping your overall game, and the results you achieve. The same people who take a negative approach to this, are often those same people who without shame do whatever they can to change the rules in order to penalise others, whilst promoting their own self interests.

I fished Kettleness last Sunday. Whilst I have fished here before, its not a regular place I go to. There were quite a lot of 'local' lads there, who I suspect fish it regularly. I found them all to be genuine lads and really enjoyed the banter. Not one of them, and I don't know all their names, game me a dirty look or a bad word.

Whilst there are some great personal relationships that exist between many of us involved in fishing, the fact is we are all different, and as such don't always get on with each other. If that's the case, try to be the better person, agree to disagree having made your point, and move on. In moving on, just make sure you go and fish exactly where you want, as it is your right just the same as everyone else's. It's worth remembering, what you think you know about a mark that might create a sense of ownership, in most cases is only what has been passed onto you and learnt from others who were fishing it well before you did!

Cheers

Paul (Meddy).

10. Baramundi Bob

Makes a lot of sense Paul. Thanks for such a well thought out and honest post.

Best wishes - Glenn

11. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A brilliant post.
    And clearly a decent person, who I hope I meet, if I have not already.

12. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got to say great post n read paul very nicely written,coudn't agree more :)

13. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good post with agood point. that post needs to be in the sea angler mags.

mick

14. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great post paul 8) paul and dave two of the nicest anglers you could meet 8)

15. Baramundi Bob

Im pleased Paul has acknowledged that this type of behaviour does actually exist. In my opinion there appears to be a will to hide it under the carpet in some quarters.

I note earlier in the discussion that Jellyworm (No offence meant Dave) wanted to close the discussion down, which would mean that points of view from people like Paul wouldnt have been heard. Ive also noted a desire to keep things of this nature private. My own thoughts on that is, if we continue to brush it under the carpet then it will continue to exist.

A situation where one man feels he has some devine right to be on a mark on his own, and therefore is rude to other anglers in a bid to get them to leave or discourage them from fishing there again can never be right.

Ive been shocked this week to hear from Dan that he was talking to The Long term secratary of The Whitby Fishing Club and it would appear that the clubs policy is that its ok to be like that and that they could see Paul's point of view in wanting to have a mark to himself on a club night. I couldnt believe what Dan told me.

I also hinted above that members of our group have experienced this similar type of behaviour on other nights over the past few years. I know from Dan, Damo and Mike that they have been challenged about fishing Kettleness on a "Club Night" on several occasions in the past 2 yaers. How can this possibly be the right attitude to take in Sea Angling ?? For anyone to suggest that Paul Short's behaviour was in some way an isolated event is one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. Those of you who think this is an isolated event must either be blind, naive or plainly very stupid.

If as an angler you dont stand up and challenge this outlook whereever you find it, You are doing your sport no favours at all. I would go as far in some cases as to suggest some of you clearly have the same mentality as Mr Short. If that means some of you no longer talk to me or I am shunned, hey thats no great loss to me. If you are of the same mentality as Mr Short then your not the type of person I would want to be associated anyway.

If Paul wants to apologise to our members then we are willing to listen, forgive, move forward and even fish side by side. If he continues to do this type of thing then I for one will cut him and his ilk no slack whatsoever.

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Of course it exists Glenn, no one has denied it or swept it under the carpet. No one has doubted your version of events either. As I said in my first post on the opening line, I hate that side of fishing and if someone said something similar to me I would have fished next to them just to prove that I could!

Though not burying my head in the sand, I thought the subject and some of the replies were having a negative affect. They were aggressive and counter productive and rather than solving a problem, it was just creating another.

Pauls post on the other hand, put the same subject on show and got a completely different reaction from members. Surely that is the way forward if you want to address such matters.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Pauls post was really well written and certainly drew everyones attention to the fact that it does go on and it isn't right.

No offence taken Glenn ;), but my reasons for asking for the thread to be locked have been touched on by others , it was because it was turning into a witch hunt with linch mob mentality...that was not not creating awareness. Whereas the well written post by Paul generalized and didn't name any individuals. Naming an individual just smacks of a personal axe to grind not creating awareness of a wider issue.

And yes I have also been subject to similar behaviours and it was during club nights, once on Bempton when I was told club lads needed the spot we were on....I took great pleasure that night pulling up double shots of fish on slider rigs and holding them up triumphantly. The other one that springs to mind was being told it was a certain clubs night and we needed to vacate a spot near Piers in Cloughton to make way for the club lads. We didn't move and Kim then proceeded to pull fish out in front of them....our mark my arse....lol

Anyone faced with such behaviour should deal with it there and then politely but firmly, and if that doesn't go down well...tough, carry on regardless you've every right to be there.

18. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

^
    Got to be said, that was a mighty fine post too.

I guess I am lucky, in never having experienced such confrontational behaviour. If I had, I would be firmly with Glen, Jelly, etc..

But, if I was on a mark and someone joined me nicely, explaining they were in a match (and had therefore paid money) and asking to fish it too, I would shift forty yards voluntarily and leave them to it for the three hours of a match.

Often, it is not what you say, but how you say it, and I mirror decency and respect with same. And mirror bad attitude equally. Much the best policy.

19. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

If as an angler you dont stand up and challenge this outlook whereever you find it, You are doing your sport no favours at all. I would go as far in some cases as to suggest some of you clearly have the same mentality as Mr Short. If that means some of you no longer talk to me or I am shunned, hey thats no great loss to me. If you are of the same mentality as Mr Short then your not the type of person I would want to be associated anyway.

HA, HA, for FFS Glenn. Tell them how it is !!!

20. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

That's because you bullied me out of my spot when you caught that 7 inch cod last night Jim.