1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A nice day kayak fishing on the Tees & Leven.

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by andyman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Sunday and a nice sunny day for a paddle down the Tees from Yarm to the River Leven. Of course, I couldn't resist taking the rod and a few pike lures. This was only my third Tees launch of the year and my first with a camera. Having done quite well on the previous two trips when I left the camera at home, I was hoping for some good footage this time. I paddled all the way down to the junction of the Tees/Leven without any takes, and just as I entered the Leven, I was onto the first of the day. It was only a jack pike but it didn't half thrash around. I suddenly realised that I hadn't turned on the headcam and in doing so, I took my eye off the quarry and it managed to wrap my line around the branches of a submerged tree and I lost it.
    I hadn't gone more than 100 yards further into the Leven when I saw a boat with four pike anglers coming towards me. As they stopped for a chat, one of them hooked into a nice fish of around 5lb. They said that they had been trolling lures up and down the Tees all morning without any luck at all, and this was their first fish of the day. I hung around the same spot for half-an-hour or so but the pike didn't seem interested in my lures. In the meantime, the four lads took their boat up the Leven and back to the same spot where they had caught their first pike. They had just cut the engine off so that they could tell me that there was nothing else doing, when the second pike struck, a nice plump fish around the 16lb mark. A fantastic specimen in only a couple of feet of water !
    I still didn't manage to land one myself, but that was probably my own fault for bringing the camera !

[​IMG]

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Hard luck Andy, but a nice day out never the less. Seen them lads a few times on the river putting the hours in trolling. How did you manage to launch at Yarm in deep water?

3. andym

andym Rockling

Nice one Andy still not done a single paddle in freshwater!

4. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

It was a great day for it, AndyM. There is a good launch site on the The Teesdale Way, Aislaby Road. Here's a few more pics including one of the launch site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

I know the one now Andy. I was looking at it last summer but wasnt sure about it, in case some one started fishing the swim after i'd launched.

6. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good work Andy, some excellent piking to be had in the tees ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. johnl

johnl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Do you need a permit to fish from Kayak or boat?

8. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes

Its an Environment Agency rod licence

9. johnl

johnl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rod Licence I know about, but I was wondering about Clubs Permits

10. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Yes if the water is controlled by a club you need to be a member or buy a day ticket if you can. There's plenty of people fallen foul of this on boating holidays down the Norfolk Broads and ended up with a fine.

11. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Don't need a permit if you stay in your boat or yak, if you get out onto the bank then yes. People on the broads get done by fishing next to a moored boat. No one can claim to own the river just access to the banks.

Looks like a nice session, something I'm wanting/going to do someday.

12. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

The clubs don't own the river but do pay for the fishing rights whether from the bank or on the water. If this was not the case you wouldn't need to pay club subs to wade in and fish from in the river.

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Given that the clubs pay for restocking, maintenance and policing of the water- I'd say the right thing to do would be to pay their often nominal subs if you are fishing their water.

14. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

That way your accessing the river by their land and your stood in the river so your still on their land so in that case you do need a permit, butyou do not need permits to fish if your in a boat, if you get out then yes you do.
    Fished a lot of clubs and fished from plenty of boats, that's how it works.

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Me and deano72 went fishing up the tees and leven on his 17fter . i absoloutly love it , trolling little raps catching perch,pike chubb and trout .good times .