1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Lucky Escape For This Boat Today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Just as I was heading home this afternoon I spotted a boat up the side of the West Pier. It looks like he had lost power on his run up to the harbour mouth.

Thankfully it was a small tide and no swell and not much chop around the harbour mouth otherwise things could have been a whole lot worse.

A small yacht camwe to the rescue and @bigcod on Sea Otter 2 stood by just incase they needed to lend a hand. The little red boat did look very unstable and I wondered if it should have been at sea in the first place.

Room With A View (1 of 1)-11.jpg

Paul on Sea Otter 2 hung about just incase anyone needed help. Judging by the amount of sea gulls hanging about the boat Paul had caught a few fish today.

Room With A View (1 of 1)-6.jpg

Boat was soon under tow and heading back to Safety.

Room With A View (1 of 1)-12.jpg

Room With A View (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Room With A View (1 of 1)-4.jpg

Once the boat was back in harbour the boys were tinkering with the motor. The boat sat very low in the water and I wondered if the engine had been too heavy for such a small boat ??

Room With A View (1 of 1)-7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I towed him upto slip way when I got in.. he was getting thrown all over earlier in day .. was watching him while doing pots

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glenn Kilpatrick

He looked a bit unstable Deano. I wouldnt like to see him out there with a bit of Blash on.

4. highhat

highhat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done mike, sterling job. Drascombe luggers are the best Frying tonight especialy

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I pulled alongside when mike on saling motor boat had just thrown a line to the small cabin cruiser when he was against the west peir there was a bit of chip on nothing to bad thank The Lord .

I asked mike he was ok towing the small craft back in harbour he said he was fine some of these very small motor boats are smaller than my bath and should be on river or reservoir than on the open sea .

Paul

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

We'll Done to all. Glad no one was hurt or killed. Bit scary that sea at times

7. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

defo top heavy that time there was some sort of mot for boats going to sea
    crew very fortunate the weather was ok

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

It does make you wonder at times?

I can't comment on the case in point, as I wasn't present, but only last summer I was roughly 6/7 miles offshore and moving between marks, when passing a cabin cruiser, I got the two handed distress wave. I backtracked and was told his engine had died and his vhf radio wasn't working! Could I tow them back? The boat had a father of mid to late 40's onboard and an early teens daughter who was quite distressed.

Their boat was about 25ft and mine 17.5! To cut a long story short I did manage to tow them back to the Whitby pontoon, much to the celebration of their immediate family. It took about 2 1/2 hours to do the tow and get back offshore to where I was before, but what really peeved me was I got a thank you from the harbour master, but diddly squat from the boat owner, who was too wrapped up in being re-united with his family. Time and cost is irrelevant under these circumstances, but a 'thank you very much' doesn't cost anything.

I wouldn't say I wouldn't do it again, because of course I would, but it does make you think about the severity of their situation and his apparent lack of appreciation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glenn Kilpatrick

Id have billed him for the fuel and my time. Costs nothing to be polite. Sounds a total C$%t.

10. scaley

scaley Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know we're talking two different things here, helping someone out and recovering costs, but if they took the tow line isn't it 'salvage'?

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

as i understand it if the boat in trouble chucks you a line and you tow them in you can claim expenses if on the other hand if you chuck the boat in trouble a line and its accepted you can claim savage rights

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

^
    It would almost be amusing to claim salvage.
    Make him think twice about not offering even thanks, let alone the price of fuel (or a beer)!

13. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cant believe how some folk are that ungrateful,
    if that was me and he had got my daughter back safe into harbour after breaking down at sea i would have given him owt he wanted but would have more than covered his costs at the very least and thanked him profusely.
    some folk are just plain ignorant.